306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
MX5 turbo on the road again....... - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Marques (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Projects (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: MX5 turbo on the road again....... (/showthread.php?tid=804)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Re: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - samass - 21-05-2012

boost compensating fuel pressure regulator?

Re: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - Fozzy - 21-05-2012

Yeah you got it, BEGI 2025 rising rate to be exact. Could have bought a cheaper non branded but didn't wanna take the risk as its quite vital to get the fuelling right.

Re: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - samass - 21-05-2012

shweet. that name and numbers mean nothing to me, so ill smile and nod haha!
but i totally agree, thats an important part, if it doesnt give enough fuel, thats when things melt...

Re: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - Fozzy - 30-05-2012

Finally i have a turbo that doesn't seem f*cked, barely any play in the shaft, from what im aware the play could be the fact there is no oil running through it. Also managed to get a wrx up pipe so i can cut it up and make an adapter. Wont be long and uni will be over and hopefully earn a bit of money to pay for the rest of the parts.

[Image: Photo0863-1.jpg]

[Image: Photo0864.jpg]

Re: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - mark_airey - 30-05-2012

a little side to side play in the shaft is pretty normal and as you say will be due to there being no oil in the bearing, any in and out play at all though is a bad thing as it would mean the bearings are tired and that it will probably leak Wink

either way I look forward to the progress with this!

RE: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - Fozzy - 21-06-2012

Turbo Fitted.....

[Image: Photo0896.jpg]

Ok so not quite but you get the idea, if only it was that easy.

[Image: Photo0895.jpg]

Manifold turned up today, have measure up and drawn CAD Dimensions and making a mock up of the adaptor plate out of MDF today. Then i will need to get some thick plate steel, i think 20mm should do it, i wanted 12mm but some of the nuts/bolts colide meaning i will have to countersink them so 20mm should give me enough to do this.

RE: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - mark_airey - 21-06-2012

Thats an Impreza TD04L turbo isn't it?

oh and I saw this at FCS and thought of you Tongue
[Image: P6172723.jpg]

Needs editing properly but you get the idea

RE: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - Fozzy - 21-06-2012

Yeah you are correct, wrx impreza.

Im pretty certain thats 'djunk' who used to have the white dturbo with orange wheels. Really looks good.

RE: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - mark_airey - 21-06-2012

so it'll be a 13t compressor wheel and housing the same as mine then Tongue
They are strong as hell, mine has seen the fun side of 35psi for just about a year now and still has the same amount of play as when I fitted it, as in the little bit that is taken up by the oil in the bearings so can't argue with that!

How much did you get it for if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah that name sounds familiar, I loved it, it is sat so perfectly on those wheels!

Yeah thats it, i will be running a lot less psi though so it will hardly be working. Got it for £40 delivered.

I think my car sits slightly higher and also the wheels he has on are .5 of an inch wider iirc.

RE: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - samass - 21-06-2012

win. totally did a sex wee when i saw the turbo in place... shame its not reeeally inplace haha

also, that one from fcs does look reeeealy good.

what you reckon the time frame for this is now? isnt it coming together pretty quickly?

RE: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - puglove - 21-06-2012

Must stop looking at this thread! Really do like these when they are moded right,

(21-06-2012, 01:31 PM)samass Wrote: win. totally did a sex wee when i saw the turbo in place... shame its not reeeally inplace haha

also, that one from fcs does look reeeealy good.

what you reckon the time frame for this is now? isnt it coming together pretty quickly?

Hehe, is all about the 13mm spanner propping it up, thats all thats needed instant 50bhp gain Tongue

Ive collected the easy parts now i got to make up some custom parts which will take time.

(21-06-2012, 01:44 PM)puglove Wrote: Must stop looking at this thread! Really do like these when they are moded right,

That's what my problem was and now i have one. I really should be buying turbo parts but i cant help it.

Some pictures of my MDF mock up, it wont bolt up flush untill it cut down the exhaust studs, and also i need the adaptor to be threaded so i can put more exhausts studs in that for the td04 so that it wont be nut and bolt as that isn't possible.

[Image: Photo0900.jpg]

[Image: Photo0899.jpg]

[Image: Photo0898.jpg]

[Image: Photo0897.jpg]

RE: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - samass - 21-06-2012

looks awesome! would you not be able to grind away a bit of the turbo to clear the nuts? or is it just better to countersink them?

Would take away too much of the turbo, so countersink it is, hence why i have gone for 20mm otherwise ide have used 10mm its a little irritating. also have problems with mocking it up on engine bay, dont really want to remove the manifold until i def have everything but i know im going to have to Sad

Mine is made of something not much thicker than 10mm and the bolts are countersunk slightly, welded into place then ground flat again to leave studs on the other side......... failing that why not just tap a thread in the plate intstead and screw the bolt into that??

ah fair enough. yeah no doubt, sounds like a faff!

The plate will have the holes tapped for the td04 but not for the t3 which is what the manifold is for, i think thats what you're saying right mark?

It feels a little like a bodge what im doing but there isn't a manifold out there for this turbo and mx5 well not in my price range unless custom made.

Also mark did you use a mild steal plate to make the adaptor?

Ah fair enough, that makes sense, I haven't got any pics of mine complete because I suck when it comes to progress pics lol

they are mild steel plate yeah, look like this -

[Image: IMAG0043.jpg]

It's not a bodge though, there is no other way of doing it short of getting a manifold made up which will be expensive! it will work perfectly fine and can look neat and tidy if done well Smile

I think i can do a neat job the only thing which may not be so great is the exhaust hole itself, i dont have a drill bit big enough, 50mm i think it is so my plan was lots of smaller holes and a hell of a lot of filing

hole saw would work. just go slow and it shouldnt ruin it

(21-06-2012, 03:22 PM)Fozzy Wrote: I think i can do a neat job the only thing which may not be so great is the exhaust hole itself, i dont have a drill bit big enough, 50mm i think it is so my plan was lots of smaller holes and a hell of a lot of filing

Just buy a 50mm hole saw, they are cheap enough, just go steady and it will work fine! (just make sure its a HSS one and not a wood one lol ) I do hope the exhaust is exiting via the front bumper as the ideal exhaust for a turbo car is apparently 18" of straight pipe........... should about get to the wing with that............ Big Grin

Edit:- Yeah what he said ^^ Rolleyes

Hehe, will see if i can find any hss hole saws im sure there's got to be one around in the shed somewhere.

As much as the 18" straight pipe would be awesome, i don't think its very subtle plus my dual exhaust would be useless then.

RE: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - Poodle - 21-06-2012

Really can't wait to see this thing now, may have to come down pompey way... ninja

hehe, it will be in kent so you got a long way to come see it Tongue

RE: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - Fozzy - 24-09-2012

Its been a while since i have updated this, been busy fixing up Emma's d'turbo but now that has MOT i can put a little time into the turbo project.

But before i show you how little further i have got with the turbo here's something a friend of the family has made for me:

[Image: IMAG0104_zps5a978745.jpg]

[Image: Photo0952_zps1b9ec86c.jpg]

This was the first attempt but they fit perfectly really happy with them. They are made from stainless steel and will be bolted on using riv nuts so will look really tidy, shame the only people to see it will be the MOT station.

On the turbo side of things i have had the adpator plates cut and here they are

[Image: Photo0978_zps4356e309.jpg]

Once again perfect fit which im happy about, but i am going to weld the two plates together with a 3mm steel spacer in between just so that the countersunk bolst are out the way, then im considering lining the the inside with some metal tubing i have that fits just to make it look a little nicer Smile

Currently still looking to make the exhaust downpipe (cheap as possible) then once thats done im going to need to start test fitting it all.

RE: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - samass - 24-09-2012

was wondering how you were getting on with this the other day, glad to see youre still making progress Smile

RE: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - Fozzy - 29-09-2012

(24-09-2012, 02:54 PM)samass Wrote: was wondering how you were getting on with this the other day, glad to see youre still making progress Smile

Still making slow progress. But by 2014 i may have a turbo haha.

Not really much of an update but im happy with it. After swearing at the turbo for a long time not being bale to get the circlip out to clock it i managed it (with a pair of long nosed pliers well three pairs).

The turbo not points down so the intercooler piping can have a shorter less complicated route.

[Image: Photo0980.jpg]

Im still learning to weld but im though i did pretty well with the adaptor which is all one piece now. Im so confident now that im going to make my own downpipe with spare exhausts i have.

RE: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - Dum-Dum - 29-09-2012

Good progress mate

RE: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - Scott - 29-09-2012

Awesome work, can't wait to see this done Smile