306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Spam
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys/girls,

First of all apologies for some of the spambots that have signed up over the last week, I know a few people have noticed it. As the site is getting bigger and more popular, and getting a higher search index on Google, we become more of a target for spambots and/or hackers (and yes we have had people attempt to hack the site). Forums are regularly targeted anyway, but it's becoming more frequent now as we are growing.

Unfortunately spambots have been able to sign up due to flaws within the way that Google's Captcha service runs. Google is trying to digitize old books, and every time you fill in a captcha form for them you're actually entering the words that Google's software hasn't been able to correctly identify or verify, which allows incorrect characters to be submitted.

I have just changed the user registration so that it asks a simple question, but hopefully not one that can easily be answered by a bot. I will be keeping an eye on user signups over the next few days, and I'm hoping that the new security question will work, however if you do see a spam thread, please just report it and we'll deal with it and change the question to something harder.

Cheers Smile
Haha nice question, tbh if you can't answer that, you dont belong here Tongue
Exactly, but I'm hoping it's vague enough/not easily decipherable to bots.

Also everyone, please note that both myself and Fooby, despite much time and effort put into trying to resolve the issue, have been unable to stop Matt's campaign of spam.
Haha, I dont think anyone would be able to stop him!
Scott Wrote:Exactly, but I'm hoping it's vague enough/not easily decipherable to bots.

Also everyone, please note that both myself and Fooby, despite much time and effort put into trying to resolve the issue, have been unable to stop Matt's campaign of spam.

What are you talking about, you both have a ban hammer, that would fix it Big Grin
Im quite surprised that this thread wasn't started by Matt if I'm honest. Saw the title spam and thought he had just come to accept the fact that all he does is talk rubbish! Lol
I too, thought this was some kind of 'let off' thread for spam. I was preparing myself to post some obscene content to compete with Matt's title of master spammer but since he is a moderator he can simply delete my posts, therefore giving him an unfair advantage.
Good to hear!! I can't stand spammers myself!! whistle
Scott Wrote:Also everyone, please note that both myself and Fooby, despite much time and effort put into trying to resolve the issue, have been unable to stop Matt's campaign of spam.

lmao Hahaha
f*ck all your couches. Bastards Sad
Matt you have nearly 1500 posts in like 6 weeks! Confusedhock:
You see who's saying that Matt?! Now that's saying something.
Nah got to be more than 6 weeks?
Look under your name you fool lol. It's actually just under...
Intact I think its less than 6 weeks lol. I don't remember you spamming pugnet like that lol!
But what can be done about Tom? Its only a matter of time before the Golf spam begins surely?? lol
Ian Wrote:But what can be done about Tom? Its only a matter of time before the Golf spam begins surely?? lol

Ban ban and a whole lot more ban!
You lot leave off, its 43 days (7 and a bit weeks) and as mods we get spam rights. Were are supposed to be here posting all the time to look after you lot and delete the spambots (we delete them cos matt dosent like other spam thats more intelegent than him)
Dum-Dum Wrote:Were are supposed to be here posting all the time to look after you lot and delete the spambots (we delete them cos matt dosent like other spam thats more intelegent than him)

Fail?
^^ lol
Spam bots can't out spam me. But tbh most of what I post can be used as usefull information, it was the first 2/3 weeks that was pure spam.
Obviously to test server/hosting of the new site Wink
Matt Wrote:Obviously to test server/hosting of the new site Wink
Oh well in that case we will let you off! -.- lol
Matt Wrote:Obviously to test server/hosting of the new site Wink

You do realize, 7 weeks in, you can stop testing?

We are fine..
Never know, but keep testing just incase haha
Matt Wrote:Never know, but keep testing just incase haha
Lol, bloody spammers! Tongue
Your one to talk Wink
Christ Matt, just seen your post count! I thought 300+ was a lot...
[8.40% of all posts / 32.89 posts per day]

I do have the option to delete user and all posts.....
Lol matt is averaging 32 posts a day wtf
I thought me at nearly 14 was bad :-S
So I guess my post count is a little excessive too

6.39% of all posts / 25.05 posts per day

More than Fooby and Scott put together LOL

Connor is fast catching me up though, he dosent have an excuse, hes not staff
Pages: 1 2