306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Blackberry Playbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I feel really dirty for this and fully expect abuse for it but im going to go ahead anyway.

Im considering getting a playbook. Would be using it for work only. I have to write a lot of reports for work but at the moment, am typing them on my laptop, Emailing them to my self on my blackberry then sending them to whoever they need to go to via my work email. Unfortunately work wont be setting up our BB emails on our work laptops any time soon unless we can connect to the intranet which is only at our offices.

So, questions. What are they like? Considering its going to be chucked in my car and tool bag, needs to be fairly robust and battery life needs to be ok...needs to last a 7 hour working day anyway. If anyones got one, wouldnt mind hearing your thoughts on it Smile
you can borrow mine for a bit if you want.

I quite like it, although dont use it too often, but im most likely going to use it more when they release OS10
(04-01-2013, 07:12 PM)Fooby Wrote: [ -> ]you can borrow mine for a bit if you want.

I quite like it, although dont use it too often, but im most likely going to use it more when they release OS10

Didnt realise you had one. Do you mind if i borrow it for a week? Would offer you my ipad to use but i doubt you would want that Tongue
Do you have your own desktop in your work office?
(04-01-2013, 07:33 PM)Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have your own desktop in your work office?

Nope why? Just got my work laptop which is no way connected to the work network. They are talking about expanding the Intranet and our emails to on the road users but knowing them, it will take literally years.
Just wondering, there are some semi-ninja ways you could have gotten around it. Still are, but it might not end too well for you if they find out lmao
(04-01-2013, 07:44 PM)Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Just wondering, there are some semi-ninja ways you could have gotten around it. Still are, but it might not end too well for you if they find out lmao

What are these semi-ninja ways?
Well they not that ninja, but tunneling being the obvious one.
[Image: Picture_tunnelling_10_.jpg]
?
Nah its alright cheers mate. I know one of our senior engineers has gone and bought his own and said to IT, We all need these and there are talks about us getting some sort of tablet or way of connecting to our intranet. IT wise, we are so behind the times in the security industry so they do want to catch up but as i said, it will take literally years. This is why we need Adam or you working in our IT department. To get all the lazy geeks off their arses!!
They could be using a bes, and I imagine they won't be any vpn access at the moment by the sounds of it. If in an exchange enviroment, the outlook anywhere/rpc over https might not be configured, virtually making it impossible to retrieve email except from through the bes.. and no other means over the internet..

Hard to say unless you are the sysadmin there I suppose Tongue
Yeah they are using BES. I know my managers laptop can retrieve his BB emails but tbh, i dont understand much about the BES other than i hate it. I dont know what their longterm plans are for getting us onto the network but as i said, we are quite behind the times. Weve only had BBs with our own emails for 2 years now and have our jobs dispatched via Microcrap Navision for 4 years. Ive been on courses before where other companies have got ipads or similar and the system they have access to is great and makes life much easier.
yeah course you can borrow it mate, i'll format it so my work emails are removed. You dont want those.

If you guys already have a BES then job done, you just need them to give you enterprise activation key and your email address.

its a wifi only model but feel free to have a go. Its quite quick tbh and great for emails.
(04-01-2013, 09:04 PM)Fooby Wrote: [ -> ]yeah course you can borrow it mate, i'll format it so my work emails are removed. You dont want those.

If you guys already have a BES then job done, you just need them to give you enterprise activation key and your email address.

its a wifi only model but feel free to have a go. Its quite quick tbh and great for emails.

Only need wifi mate. It can use the internet via my Torch which is something silly like 4gb so no worries about running out of data.
Why do you need the activation key? I thought you could just link the two as such and it worked?
Activation can be done in 3 different ways

One of them requiring physical access to the bb.

Other being as Fooby stated.

The last, I forgot lol
Don't you have an iPad..? What's wrong with that
(05-01-2013, 09:57 AM)vlj Wrote: [ -> ]Don't you have an iPad..? What's wrong with that

Problem with that is, We are not allowed our email client details so we can set up our emails on our own computers or phones. At the moment, im sending emails via my Torch (which takes an age. Keyboard is shocking and i have fat fingers) or on my laptop, then forwarding it to my work address, then onwards from there. Beauty of the playbook is it bridges to your phone so everything on my Torch is on the playbook so i can just type out all of my emails and close jobs easily on that. Ive also got quite a collection of tech data and manuals for systems on my phone but anyone who owns a blackberry will know, they are shockingly slow and painful to read documents on (i thought they were supposed to be a business phone?).
Some of the other engineers have gone out and bought their own in a bid to convince work to buy them for us and they love them. Makes work much much easier! Personally i dont like the UI at all but its no where near as bad as the phone!
Let me be the first to say..

Blackberry Gaybook.

HTH.
(05-01-2013, 10:10 AM)cwspellowe Wrote: [ -> ]Let me be the first to say..

Blackberry Gaybook.

HTH.

It doesnt help. I already know its Blackberry and therefore automatically shite. Its just like Vaughn buying an Audi really. Hes a lady garden for doing it.......Actually i dont know how thats related at all but my point still stands.
Well f*ck off then,

jesus, asks a man for help, dismisses his advice. You're a grumpy bugger today.
(05-01-2013, 10:13 AM)cwspellowe Wrote: [ -> ]Well f*ck off then,

jesus, asks a man for help, dismisses his advice. You're a grumpy bugger today.

Im always a grumpy bugger. Might as well be scottish Big Grin
Join the club mate. It's a permanent damp grey outlook on life.