306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Making bushes!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there any reason why i couldnt get a big bar of polysomethingorother and put it on a lathe and make some bushes? Im fairly handy with a lathe and i have access to an industrial multi £££££ expensive one.

Im thinking wishbone bushes (front) and then maybe some bits for the p bush if i could get a p bush with just a hole in, not an oddly shaped rubber thing.

Im sure i've missed out a massive key step or something, hence asking on here to make sure i have it all covered.
Aren't bushes moulded rather than machined? Would have thought the temps and stresses involved would cause the plastics to degenerate, don't know though. Be good if you could...
yeah bit more to it....plus you would have fun attempting to then get the push bonded to the casing
You'd be better casting your own bushes using some Liquid Polyurythene. There's a few good guides on the net for doing so.
Aslong as theres no major objections i might get myself a small bar of polycrap and give it a go. Obviously i'll research what would be the best material to try.
I'm thinking of casting a couple of mounts. Rear beam, lower engine mount, p-bushes. For the sake of a few quid it's worth a fiddle.
Your quite right. Might aswell buy a bar and try. Especially if i can do something with the P bushes, Vibra ones are 100+ and powerflex are 70quid :/
Tiger seal!
Effectively all you need to do is fill in the gaps in the standard bushes, the PU stuff will stick like shit to a blanket so it will bond with the existing bush perfectly fine and firm things up. A caulking gun will mean minimal mess too.

Been trying to get my head around the top and gearbox engine mounts though. They'd need properly moulded fo' sho'
Just tape up the bottom side, fill a litter tray with sand, then put your taped up mount in and fill away....
Yeah but the top engine and gearbox mounts are one piece, nothing to pour into!
PU stuff?? where from.

seems like a smart move
So how much is the stuff to buy? If its quite cheap, it good be quite good for making the easier bushes like wishbone ones and bottom engine mount!
too right...I got some old arms and bushes...worth a try. I aint ever paying £100 per P bush
"Our 90 shore Polyurethane Rod is a tough, shock absorbing material that is often used in high performance automotive suspension bushes. Our 90 Shore Polyurethane Rod is a low friction material that is resistant to oils and chemicals and offers excellent memory and rebound characteristics. Polyurethane Rod is used in press tools in place of springs and is also popular for Forklift and rollercoaster wheels."

Sounds like the right stuff to me Smile

Does anyone have an old bush to donate to a worthy cause? lol
Join the club Tom lol

Although i'll not be using rod. I'm pursuing different options.
tell tell!
Something like these would be ideal but they are listed for Picasso :/
they fit....also find them on late berlingos...been done on '6 forum

you just have to drill out the 6mm to a 8mm hole
Yep, you can machine bushes like that, often do. Knurl the inside or cut a grease groove though.
I have heard they push straight on?!?
Is it just me or instead of f*cking about with this it'd just be easyer to make some shells up and push some roller bearings in?
(03-01-2013, 05:45 PM)puglove Wrote: [ -> ]Is it just me or instead of f*cking about with this it'd just be easyer to make some shells up and push some roller bearings in?

Yes but not everyone wants such a harsh ride. Although roller bushes handle epically, they are supposed to be VERY crashy!
(03-01-2013, 05:52 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-01-2013, 05:45 PM)puglove Wrote: [ -> ]Is it just me or instead of f*cking about with this it'd just be easyer to make some shells up and push some roller bearings in?

Yes but not everyone wants such a harsh ride. Although roller bushes handle epically, they are supposed to be VERY crashy!

meeh people and their comfort and daily driving
Roller bearings would be alot harder to make than just turning down a bar of poly Smile For me it would anyway lol
Not really, just need to do some reading with some bearing companies. Wouldn't be that hard to find some the right dimensions.
Once youv made the correct size P bush shell Its just a case of pressing in a couple of roller bearings, which in my mind would be easier/ more liky to work 1st time