306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Bay Mount TD04
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thinking of Bay mounting my TD04L-13T just for the sheer bant of having a bay mounted turbo, is it much hassle to move it? ive already gone about relocating the ecu and battery to the boot, but the turbo seems to be a bit more of a handling, few questions are still lingering, wondering if i could get some help on this one? where would i mount it to? is the exhaust gas inlet and outlet hard to pipe to a bay mount? points to consider?
(28-12-2012, 06:42 PM)Adam Canning WSG Wrote: [ -> ]ive already gone about relocating the ecu and battery to the boot

Sorry not a helpful reply.
How did you go about doing that with the ecu?
Is there a guide for it anywhere?
I doubt the ECU will have been moved to the boot.
(28-12-2012, 08:14 PM)luke306rallye Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt the ECU will have been moved to the boot.

sorry, not greatly explained, im going about the relocation atm, its not finished yet, my mechanic reckons he can move the ecu to the boot, but if not probably into the cockpit somewhere, will get pics up wen i have it done
Interesting... Stick some pictures up of your progress so far Smile
(28-12-2012, 08:30 PM)Adam Canning WSG Wrote: [ -> ]
(28-12-2012, 08:14 PM)luke306rallye Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt the ECU will have been moved to the boot.

sorry, not greatly explained, im going about the relocation atm, its not finished yet, my mechanic reckons he can move the ecu to the boot, but if not probably into the cockpit somewhere, will get pics up wen i have it done

Id want to move it to behind the dash somewhere. You extend them wires 3-3.5 metres and you might start getting some resistance or interference issues on some of the lines and if so, could have some dodgy running issues. Unlikely but something to think about Smile
TBH I haven't looked, but I'd reckon the wires would be long enough to go just the other side of the bulkhead..
(28-12-2012, 08:39 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]

Id want to move it to behind the dash somewhere. You extend them wires 3-3.5 metres and you might start getting some resistance or interference issues on some of the lines and if so, could have some dodgy running issues. Unlikely but something to think about Smile

Thats a good idea actually :o i was considering putting it in around the back of the passenger side foot well so its easily accesible should anything ever go wrong, what you think?

(28-12-2012, 08:31 PM)Jake Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting... Stick some pictures up of your progress so far Smile

cheers, car is still over at the mechanics, but will definetly get some pics up wen is back Smile
If it where me I'd ditch the ECU, put a Bosch on and go VNT bay mount turbo.

On a serious note, would a TD04 be any good? Surely a GT20 would be far better?
I've already suggested a TD04 wouldn't be ideal for a HDi, I've looked into it myself..
(28-12-2012, 09:33 PM)Adam Canning WSG Wrote: [ -> ]
(28-12-2012, 08:39 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]

Thats a good idea actually :o i was considering putting it in around the back of the passenger side foot well so its easily accesible should anything ever go wrong, what you think?

(28-12-2012, 08:31 PM)Jake Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting... Stick some pictures up of your progress so far Smile

cheers, car is still over at the mechanics, but will definetly get some pics up wen is back Smile

Id be more looking into mounting it behind the dash although room can be a big issue! Depends what the interior of your car is like really. If you dont mind that track spec look, just bolt it to the dash somewhere but if you like your comforts, you could always mount it behind the passenger rear card (assuming you have a 3dr) But i really would suggest high quality cable. TBH it probably wouldnt make a noticeable difference but you wouldnt want to do all that work just to start it up and it runs like shit.
Alternatively and probably easier, rotate it 90 degrees in the bay, mount it to the strut and put a heat shield around it and the wiring.
Don't worry about putting it anywhere different... Just bolt it to the side of the suspension tower and put some heat shielding over the cables...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THsC296aHh4

Don't worry too much about HDis with TD04s and IHIs etc...
(28-12-2012, 10:20 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]
(28-12-2012, 09:33 PM)Adam Canning WSG Wrote: [ -> ]
(28-12-2012, 08:39 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Id want to move it to behind the dash somewhere. You extend them wires 3-3.5 metres and you might start getting some resistance or interference issues on some of the lines and if so, could have some dodgy running issues. Unlikely but something to think about Smile

Id be more looking into mounting it behind the dash although room can be a big issue! Depends what the interior of your car is like really. If you dont mind that track spec look, just bolt it to the dash somewhere but if you like your comforts, you could always mount it behind the passenger rear card (assuming you have a 3dr) But i really would suggest high quality cable. TBH it probably wouldnt make a noticeable difference but you wouldnt want to do all that work just to start it up and it runs like shit.
Alternatively and probably easier, rotate it 90 degrees in the bay, mount it to the strut and put a heat shield around it and the wiring.

trying to keep it stock as possible so the mounting behind the rear passenger card would be ideal i think, although i dont want to go to start it up and the thing dead lol, tbh i think the roatating 90 degrees is the best option, dont know why i didnt think of that sooner lol :')
(28-12-2012, 10:57 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]Don't worry about putting it anywhere different... Just bolt it to the side of the suspension tower and put some heat shielding over the cables...

Interesting...
(28-12-2012, 10:06 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: [ -> ]I've already suggested a TD04 wouldn't be ideal for a HDi, I've looked into it myself..

sorry i didnt see your comment on the last thread until now, and ive already purchased the td04, my bad lol.. spose i have no choice now but to make do, should be okay for the meantime tho, im only looking to go stage 2, around 170bhp, so if i can get it fitted i reckon the td04 will do the job Smile

(28-12-2012, 10:57 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]Don't worry about putting it anywhere different... Just bolt it to the side of the suspension tower and put some heat shielding over the cables...

thats honestly looking to be the best option in regards to the placement but will the leave enough room to fit the turbo in the ecu's normal place? also in regards to the air box, i know i know, the standard air box is the best thing to have with the oem filter, but honestly that thing just takes up far too much room, so im getting a cone filter, any recommendations for me? preferably blue if possible :L and is that video an hdi with a td04? and did anyone else see the temperature hand going up? lol
Yup, temp gauge shoots up, sounds like the turbo doesn't fully spool 'til 4500rpm either....
(29-12-2012, 05:30 AM)Poodle Wrote: [ -> ]Yup, temp gauge shoots up, sounds like the turbo doesn't fully spool 'til 4500rpm either....

how can you go about making the temp gauge stay down?
Glue it so it stays in the same position.
(29-12-2012, 03:08 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]Glue it so it stays in the same position.

without the use of adhesives lol, whats the best way to keep it cool?
Better cooling system.
(29-12-2012, 03:57 PM)Poodle Wrote: [ -> ]Better cooling system.

any recommendations for that?
Tbh the rate that temp was going up i'd suspect it's pressurising the coolant, that was pretty fast lol. Nissen's rads are popular, apart from that i'd say get some gauges sorted and work out what's happening with temps. You're trying something relatively rare on these engines, so you need all the information you can get.
...before you do what I did, jump in on a hunch and blow two turbos.

You can only research so much though, the only way to get a definite answer is to try it.
(29-12-2012, 08:06 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: [ -> ]...before you do what I did, jump in on a hunch and blow two turbos.

You can only research so much though, the only way to get a definite answer is to try it.

trial and error and inform everyone else of my failure/success Smile
Turbo in place, now to connect it up Smile (sorry for the focus, i did not take this photo)

[Image: 2013-01-18171747_zps92c76271.jpg]
is that just a trial fitment? surely your gonna have to rotate it otherwise theres gonna be some pretty bad angles to get pipes around.

got any pics of your downpipe/exhaust manifold?

when i did mine i never got any pictures, regretted it ever since haha
(18-01-2013, 07:33 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: [ -> ]is that just a trial fitment? surely your gonna have to rotate it otherwise theres gonna be some pretty bad angles to get pipes around.

got any pics of your downpipe/exhaust manifold?

when i did mine i never got any pictures, regretted it ever since haha

not sure mate, im not the one doing it, i have a mechanic working on it, i suggested clocking the turbo but he insists he has a better way to do it, just going to trust his judgement one this one lol. il try and get up as many pictures as i can, but its my mechanics son sending me all the pictures so far, il put up alot of piping etc wen the car is finished Smile
Where the turbo is mounted in the bay

[Image: 2013-01-24171349_zps24a73639.jpg]

This is where we set the turbo from behind and how the exhausts were made, we made up our own custom adapter plates with holes in them to suit the size of pipe we were using for the exhaust, these plates are fabricated out of 12mm steel. (if you would like adapter plates made up for your car pm me) We then fabricated our own custom exhaust pipe from the engine to the turbo and our own custom exhaust from the turbo to downpipe, the exhaust from turbo to down pipe was made with 2 sections of custom pipe with a section of flexible pipe inbetween, these pipes have all been heat wrapped to keep temperatures down in behind the engine.

[Image: 2013-01-26121310_zps173fa555.jpg]

These are for the purpose of helping anyone looking to bay mount
(blue:air inlet bend)
Yellow: exhaust pipe from engine to the turbo
orange: The turbo
Red: Exhaust from turbo to downpipe

[Image: 2013-01-2612-_zps0eac1bfb.jpg]

[Image: 2013-01-261212_zpscb7369f5.jpg]

[Image: 2013-01-2612_zpsf6aa9ee9.jpg]

Note: we have had to heatwrap all of the exhaust pipes in behind the engine as there are alot of plastic and rubber pipes down the back that would melt from the exhaust heat otherwise, we had to place heat shield over the ecu as this was bolted to the suspension tower right next to the turbo, and was at risk of the turbo exhaust heat otherwise.
Very nice work, that's all the pictures that I forgot to take when my turbo went gearbox mounted.
Real nice
(26-01-2013, 06:37 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: [ -> ]Very nice work, that's all the pictures that I forgot to take when my turbo went gearbox mounted.
Real nice

thanks mate, gona try and get a few photos from all different angles when everything is finished but the bonnet is still off, really want to help others with this as much as possible Smile
Pages: 1 2