306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: GTi6 temperatures
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Gays
Can anyone confirm what temperatures the fans come on, and go off at, for both low and high speed? Im trying to work out a way at the moment to bring the fans on at different temperatures to keep the engine cool in traffic. Ideally, it wouldnt go over 90 degrees even when sitting in traffic for a while but as we all know, they can hit well over 100 before dropping down again.
I was looking at fitting a cool run stat but this could also pose issues with running too cold (which is a major problem with running the car with the brown plug unplugged/fans on full). I did also look at fitting a electronically controlled thermostat but that required a lot of work!
93 low speed, 97 high speed if I remember correctly.
Erm.. I thought it was more like 95/105?
Just adjust the resistance of the brown plug sensor... It's only the bitron that reads from it, you won't f*ck with the gauges.

They'll sit at 80* all day long if the fans are on at low speed... A cooler running stat would just make it longer before the coolant heats up and the fans come on...
(26-12-2012, 07:23 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: [ -> ]Erm.. I thought it was more like 95/105?

i thought it was more like this to be honest.

Ruan, thats what im going to do. WIll sit there tomorrow and take down the resistances in 5 degree steps and put it up here so people can choose the resistor they want for the temperature they want.
Also, they dont just sit at 80 all day with the fans on full. in traffic yes but mines dropped as low as 55-60 on a steady drive which is far too cool for efficiency (god im starting to sound like tom now) and not brilliant for the long term health of the engine.
That's weird, with the fans on full, on a run mine will happily sit at 75. Oil temp sits just below the normal temperature.
(26-12-2012, 08:41 PM)Scott Wrote: [ -> ]That's weird, with the fans on full, on a run mine will happily sit at 75. Oil temp sits just below the normal temperature.

Oil temp is fine. Will sit a tad below 90 but that doesnt move in traffic anyway. obviously not every car is going to be the same. Depends on quantities of coolant and condition of the cooling system but i think there is a general idea that they do sit hot for far too long before they cool down again so if you can get the fans to come in earlier, hopefully we can stop it going above 95 before it starts to drop back to 90 again.
Broken thermostat then...

The coolant should sit at 80*C all day long... Any less than that and your thermostat is jamming slightly open. Due to the my old split radiator it used to have the fans jammed on full 24/7 as I pulled off the brown plug and it'd quickly heat up to 80*C and sit there come rain or shine.
I don't think you need to mess around with resistors and stuff really? If Peugeot set the high speed fans at 107 then surely the engine is fine to go up above that without damage?

55-60 is mental low! Your car will be running massively rich at that sort of temp you must be getting savage mpg? Wouldn't a better solution be to get the cooling system working properly and then see if it is still a problem?
I'm sure the above is exactly what Niall told Scott when he was looking into doing the same... Personally my fans kick in as they should, once it gets to 107 or whatever it is. If they're designed like that, there's no reason to mess with it IMO. These aren't the only cars that get what we consider "quite hot", for an example mk2 Golf GTi's kick in at a similar temperature, which is a scary looking 3/4's of the way up the gauge. But, that's how they're supposed to be
The only thing I don't like about the temperature rising like that is the fact that the coolant system pressure rises past 95*c so rapidly... Yes it turns it more efficient etc, but in general driving, you'll never see it, I'd rather the system runs at 83*C all day long safe in the knowledge there's no hotspots etc...

If there's ANY airlocks and the pressure builds, there's no chance of them getting out and it makes them hotspot worse... DTs are the same, the fan temp is WAY too high, if you bring an XUD9 on boost past 100*C it'll often just blow the gasket straight away... It's just one of the problems of running an ally head on a steel block - metals expand at different rates, soon as you give it some stick, it wrecks the gasket - especially when the coolant system is at high pressure, it wants to find a way out...

In an OEM application, it's fine to run at 105*c... When the car is 15 years old, it'll end in damage being done...
Use a sensor from a 205......i have and mine now comes on at about 87c. Nice and cool
Well i was going to explain my reasons but ruan has just done it for me anyway haha.

What i will do is post up a list of resistances in relation to temperatures and then people can use the table to work out what resistor they need so the fans can come on when they want. Obviously certain applications might require different ambient temperatures.

Im not overly fussed about it hitting 107 occasionally but what worries me is how often it does it in prolonged traffic. Every other car ive driven, the temp may rise but eventually it will drop down to a safer level and stay roughly there. GTis seem to raise quite rapidly, fans kick in, drop and then repeat in a quick space of time. Will have to be a bit careful though as i dont want it running too cold!

And hovis, thanks i knew there was a different one you could fit but wasnt sure which.
But Niall, definitely change your thermostat... The fact it runs that cold if the fans are on is NOT right, would also make sense that it's not opening fully also...
I've got a new stat upstairs to fit with my waterpump (might do it tomorrow actually if the weather is any good) but yeah it can drop that low with the fans on. Even still though, ive seen so many of them get really quite hot in traffic situations.