306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Express tills at the supermarket! I F*%ckin hate them!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just been to the supermarket to get cakes for the office as it's my birthday over the Christmas break. Spent £10 on cakes and decided to get £40 cashback.

Went to pay at the express counter, card didn't work the first time so took it out and tried again (annoying look from harrased Mums (No MILFS)). Card works second time, ask for £40 cashback. As it's being processed my bag of cakes falls over so I go to catch it. Fortunately no squashed cakes. Big Grin

Transaction complete, "Remove card Please", take receipt and make my way back to the car in the torrential downpour.

Get back to work and realise,,,, where's the cashback???Angry

What a NOB! And it's not the first time either.

Phoned ASDA and it hasn't been handed in so it's "Happy Christmas" to some Scally. Censored

Question is;

Would you hand the money in?
I have done before and would again hand the money in yes. Damn concience!

And I always use those tills, saves having to speak to a real person! Big Grin
f*ck no. In my case right now im so skint if I found that I'd be like sick, I can actually go home for Christmas. Any normal month I'd be like hmm extra cash or positive karma. Karma wins everytime. As long as I'm not skint haha
have to hand it in as i live by treat others how you want to be treated makes life a hell of alot more easier lol
I'd have had it! I'm skibt too. Times are tough ATM!!

Expensive cakes though!
Would you guys really just have had it? Everyones skint atm, that seems like quite a selfish act tbh, imagine if that was your last £40 for fuel/food....

Last year I stopped an old lady just leaving barclays who'd left a wadge of cash (I reckon £200ish) in the self service mmachine with it beeping away lol, anyway, she gave me £20 for returning it rather than just taking it......
I'd hand it in if it was that much, might pocket a tenner though.

A friend of mine found a roll of ~£300 once, handed it in, nobody claimed it, so he got to keep it!
If it had been handed in I'd have given them one of the cakes left over.

But it hasn't so I've scoffed the last chocolate muffin and Danish pastry!

Feel Puke now
i wonder if one of the security cameras thats over the tills has caught whoever took it maybe worth phoning the store manager and asking if the security could look into it for you? yes you phoned up and asked has it been handed in could a member of staff of pocketed it? maybe they will hand the picture to local police for you? the till number you used should be on your receipt just a thought.
Call me old fashioned, but I never EVER use cashback - i find it quite pointless when there's usually a cash machine outside, Always use a cash machine. Less chance of anyone making off with your number, forgetting your money etc.

That said I do forget to take my card occasionally haha.
I once forgot to take cashback and someone chased me down and gave it to me, I've done the same to another person before too.

But if some mug was messing around and couldn't figure out how to use the simple till................... :-p

Seriously tho the ease of use of them depends on the shop

Asda: Super simple, work well
Tesco: Alrite, abit clunky
Morrisons: The worst designed, poorly produced pieces of shit you'll ever have the misfortune to have to use.
I like the ones where you can just chuck all your change in.
Love the morrisons ones, they dont register stuff sometimes like booze. So I've had a wopping night out on vodka and coke for the price of morrisons coke , Score

Have taken £10 someone left in machine once , but if it was serious cash id feel bad if took it since it could be their rent/food
I like it when those ones are within a couple of feet of those 'coin changer' machines. and you still see morons loading those machines up with change, loosing 10-15% and then going to the self serve.

I go straight to the self serve with a massive bag/jar of pennies and try fill the bastard machine up.
tbh i'd probs take the cash, if you handed it in someone else would just have it . . .if i knew who it was i'd give it them back for sho though . .Smile
Even if i was to hand it in, you think the person behind the counter isnt just going to pocket the money? If you find money in the middle of the street what to you do then?! Why be different if you find it in the supermarket? If I was next in line after you and could still see you then i would try and return it but mot hand it in for some one else to pocket.
because if you pocket the money you could quite easily lose your job? If your job only worth £40 to you??? At Tesco we has regular staff searches, and you weren't allowed to have anything other than you clock card, locker key, and a pen on you.
I do this before with £40 aswell. after 30 secs or somthing like that the machine sucks it back in and puts it back in your account (like the cash points) so yeah check your satment
(20-12-2012, 04:06 PM)r3k1355 Wrote: [ -> ]I once forgot to take cashback and someone chased me down and gave it to me, I've done the same to another person before too.

But if some mug was messing around and couldn't figure out how to use the simple till................... :-p

Seriously tho the ease of use of them depends on the shop

Asda: Super simple, work well
Tesco: Alrite, abit clunky
Morrisons: The worst designed, poorly produced pieces of shit you'll ever have the misfortune to have to use.

You missed sainsburys? Theirs actually work quite well imo. However they drop the money right out so wouldn't be able to suck it back up like Jamie suggested, ASDA ones might be different though.

I do hate getting notes from them though, seems to take ages to come out! I usually draw out the money I'll need for the week INSIDE barclays. I don't like the outside ones anywhere, I know severa of people who've had cards clones from those. Plus outside ones are always rank, I swear people dribble on them or something, always seem to be sticky! Huh Avoid them at all costs lol.
(20-12-2012, 05:25 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]You missed sainsburys?

Never been to Sainsburys and used their ones, so don't know tbh.
ASDA, Tesco and Sainsburys use the same NCR self checkouts. There the best around. Morrisons and B&Q use shitters.

But I'm biast because I work for NCR ha.
I got to Tesco for lunch most days (except today, it's the end of the world tomorrow but no one told me what time so thought I'd grab a McDonald's today just in case we don't make it to lunch tomorrow) and I see people do this all the time where the notes come out below the scanner. I always stop people regardless of whether I'm using that machine or not. I've shouted across a couple of tills before when I noticed someone do it. The thing that gets me though is that I don't often get thanked, so I do wonder why I bother! Still, I'd like to think that if I left some money there one day that someone would let me know if they saw.
(20-12-2012, 08:03 PM)Scott Wrote: [ -> ]I got to Tesco for lunch most days (except today, it's the end of the world tomorrow but no one told me what time so thought I'd grab a McDonald's today just in case we don't make it to lunch tomorrow).

Double Rofl

Might have to go early in the morning and get a double sausage and egg McMuffin!
If someone was there and was still in moderate shouting distance then I would tell them they left it. However if the money was there and nobody was there then id take it. Someone else is obviously going to take it anyway and i presume the shop wouldnt be bothered to trace the owner with CCTV or records etc.

The note dispensers on those machines are in really odd places. Im sure they could easily put in a light sensor to detect if there was cash in the tray or not!

In generally its very hit and miss with these machines. Sometimes you get everything through no problem at all. Last time in tesco i was buying christmas ribbons etc which werent heavy enough for the machine to register so the assistant logged me in as staff and i scanned my whole shop with the staff interface. Its the most complicated thing ever! D:
Them express tills are utter shite. They rarely work without needing the rude sainsburys wally to come over and be arsed to breathe let alone help you with your shopping.
(20-12-2012, 10:42 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Them express tills are utter shite. They rarely work without needing the rude sainsburys wally to come over and be arsed to breathe let alone help you with your shopping.

I've never had a problem with them! You're doing something wrong!

How hard can it be to scan an item and place it in a bag on a scale? lol

I did used to work on a till though, but still not difficult even if you've not used one before! Confused

Most things can be solved without the assistant anyway - coupon not reconised, shove some of the ad cards in there - item not heavy enough, lean on the scale - unexpected item in the bagging area, samass get your cock off the scale.....
(20-12-2012, 09:40 PM)SRowell Wrote: [ -> ]The note dispensers on those machines are in really odd places. Im sure they could easily put in a light sensor to detect if there was cash in the tray or not!

The one in ASDA, and as we've been informed also Tesco & Sainsburys (Thanks 306Carter) have a sensor by the cash dispenser so that if it isn't claimed within a certain time the customer assist light flashes, may be in my case the Non-MILFs in the queue behind could have got to the check-out before the alarm was triggered. Who knows?

The kids will now be sharing a pot noodle for Christmas, do they do a festive flavour?
Its technically theft by whoever picked your £40 up so if you went to the police they'd have to investigate and check the CCTV.

I love the express tills, theres a bit of a knack to them really. It annoys me when the people in front cant use them and take hours to do it cos for me theyer far quicker than the Tesco staff.
Got to be honest, unless i saw the person who left it there, or there happens to be a police officer/station conveniently nearby, i'd be inclined to pocket it. If i did see the person i would do everything in my power to get it back to them, obviously. But as people have said, the chances are the people you hand it in to are just as likely to keep it themselves. And i'm not being funny, but I don't stop worrying about money for long enough to lose £40 anywhere...

What goes around comes around, if i have a random windfall i make the effort to go out of my way to help out a stranger, given the chance. Found £20 in a hedge a few months back, a couple of weeks later i somehow ended up driving 30 miles out of my way to drop off some random hippies at stonehenge. lol
I'd deffo keep the money, unless the guy who left it was still in sight. But I have little to no morals or conscience.

However, ever time I use the bloody self service, I get my change in 5p coins! SO ANNOYING!
Pages: 1 2