306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Glow plugs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How long after the engine has turned over do they stay on for
They dont, once the light goes out, theyre off. Or atleast should be off
What connor said! :-)
Thought there was a 30 second delay, might be wrong.
If cold, normally 10 seconds after the light goes out, they continue to stay on. - For DT, not sure about HDI's, believe there different.
if you listen carefully you can hear the glowplug relay click ....thats them off! i think its about 20 seconds and thats if the engine is on or not.
listen for a click from around the battery area after the ignition is turned on, thats when they are actually turned off. all the light is there for is to tell you when they are warmed up enough assuming the plugs are good
Ok thanks but they only switch off when the car wants to has any one got a wiring diagram for the green plug that goes into the relay box I think it's 5 or 6 wires
Depends on temp on the XUD...

The controller turns them on with ignition, and the light goes out dependant on plug resistance and a delay based on water temp (one of the water temp sensors is dedicated to the glow plug system), then once its running they stay on for 10-20 seconds, and then continue to pulse on and off in short periods until the water temp comes above a set temp, thats why if you have a shitty aux belt it starts and stops for the first 10 mins driving, as the plugs come on and off Tongue
as above they stay on after the engine has started for a set amount depending on temperature and the coolant heater is also engine speed dependent on the HDI
thats why people see the lights dimming on the hdi while they drive it
My Ph1 XLdt they stay on for up to 3 minutes when cold. They don't pulse. As a result short journeys ra*e your battery and drain it when you have the fan and demist on while you're defrosting the windows! Just be sure to have a decent 15 minute journey to charge it up again if you're de-icing like that, or, don't use the rear demist till you're driving.