306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Project Black 6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well I thought it was time to move this thread over and post a little update.

As it was when I bought it back in Februrary. 100% standard apart from k&n cone filter and some pug racing gear linkages. Lovely job.
[Image: IMG_0148.jpg]

I made this list of jobs back then and surprisingly pretty much all of them are done!
  • replace clock/temp gauge bulbs - Done.
  • install ipodz cable for stereo - Done.
  • replace manky fogs with rallye blanks - Done.
  • p3 side repeaters - done
  • clean ICV - done
  • replace hot air sucking k&n with standard airbox/panel filter. - Done.
  • p3 crystal headlights - Done.
  • red 106gti door badges - decided against it and sold them again
  • upper (and lower if i can get hold of one) strut brace - done
  • remove air con - meh, can't be bothered
  • -30mm eibachs and bilstein dampers - half way there
  • some sort of sexy exhaust system. undecided on make yet. - Done.[/list:u]
OMP Upper Strut brace
[Image: DSC00179.jpg]
mmm anthracite, would have preferred black but it'll do for now.

I think I may have also found out why i had a bit of a clunk from the front nearside when turning from lock to lock, the top mount had been recently replaced and the bolts were clearly different to the std items on the other side, when i took them out they were about 5mm longer. More than likely they were knocking on the springs.

Top tip: Don't buy 25mm bolts when you fit a strut brace, as I found out last sunday they are too long and clang like a ******Rolleyes
Been quite busy in the last month or so;

Went to Longlife Plymouth and got a stainless cat-back system fitted with a 3" inward rolled tip. Went for the mild sport option as i've heard mid sport is a bit too much. Service was good, was in there for about 2 1/2 hrs i think which is longer than they quoted but I didn't mind the wait, rather that than a rushed job.

First impressions weren't good, it was horrendously loud and boomy no matter how carefully I drove. Before taking it straight back I read around and a few people seemed to think it would quieten down after a while. So i stuck with it and it did gradually get better, probably done about 1,500 miles on it now and it's almost perfect. Nice burble on tickover, quiet when driving around town and still sounds lovely when you boot it. My only gripe is it's a bit boomy at 70mph.

The tailpipe wasn't quite sitting straight so i rang up and they booked me in the next day to get it sorted, it was only a couple of inches out but it really bugged me. All in all great customer service.

I also replaced the k&n heatsoaker with the standard airbox with green cotton filter. It seems noticeably more torquey/smoother when cruising around town but this could of course be due to the new filter.
[Image: green-cotton.jpg]
hmm green.

Next job was to replace the manky fog lights. I thought about just replacing them with crystals but then every 306 has foglights so it's nice to be a bit different.

Old
[Image: IMG_0138.jpg]

Anyway this is pretty much how it stands now, just don't look at the wheels if you have a cleaning complex.

Only taken on my crappy phone up on Dartmoor. On the way a women in a car i came up behind gave me the finger for no reason, I hate tail gaiters and normally try to overtake people with as much respect as possible...she got the full throttle and a polite wave out the window lol

[Image: moors2.jpg]

[Image: moor2.jpg]

Next plans are to fit my new headunit, I get fed up with burning new CD's all the time so wanted something with a front USB port.

[Image: 68865.jpg]

Plan is to use this for the tuunage, gonna be flyy.

[Image: verbatim-storen-go-43940-p_650432vb-1.png]
8gb!

Next on the list is Bilstein B8's but they are going to take some time, the missus keeps reminding me I need to save for our holiday...
Shiney things!
[Image: DSC00214.jpg]
+
[Image: DSC00215.jpg]

Fitted the rear beam mounts on saturday and they are awesome! The rear feels so planted and generally the whole car feels 10x tighter. Honestly no increase in noise or discomfort either. Just realised this project has a serious lack of photos, mostly because the car is always filthy.
Few more shineys

[Image: lower-strut-brace.jpg]

and some meet photos:

[Image: 13.jpg]

[Image: 14.jpg]

[Image: meet4.jpg]

[Image: meet3.jpg]

[Image: meet2.jpg]

[Image: meet1.jpg]
Had a bit of idle/stalling problems so after reading a few threads I took the throttle body apart and cleaned everything out. Amazingly it started first time after I put it all back together - mechanic win.

Was pretty filthy to start with, loads of oil and crap everywhere, surprised if the IAT sensor was reading accurately. Bit of white spirit and scrubbing later on and it's looking better.

[Image: throttlebody2.jpg]

[Image: throttlebody.jpg]
More shinys which I will be attempting to fit on Saturday. Once that is done all I am doing is replacing the front tyres with PE2's next month and then it is finished as far as I'm concerned at the moment.

[Image: 20120111_191306.jpg]
Looking really tidy mate! Especially that suspension!

New number plates will make it look 100% better!

Dunno if you remember me but I was the lad with the Astor XS at the dartmoor meet in summer!

Spotted you only once since then at the garage on Exeter Street!
I think we're the only Plymouth members btw Sad
Yeah I remember, you had moved down from oop north with your girlfriend?

We'll have to go for a bwarp sometime, found a great bit of road the other day.
Looks good mate! I would love a black 6
Nice car mate!
Thought about getting p3 sidestrips for it? They look much better imo!

Car sounds sexy!
Very tidy 6 mate, how much did the beam mounts set you back?
INXS Wrote:Thought about getting p3 sidestrips for it? They look much better imo!

Car sounds sexy!

Yeah did think about it but decided to spray the p2 ones instead as I thought the painting practice would come in handy.

puglove Wrote:Very tidy 6 mate, how much did the beam mounts set you back?

Er beam mounts, honestly can't remember. Going to guess £185! A nice mod but in retrospect I think new Peugeot ones would probably result in a better handling car, certainly more character. Very expensive though.
Really? Iv only heard go things about then. All the charged/track boy rant and rave about them? And the sort of power i will be running next year i thought they would be the way forward
People change from 13 year old perished bushes to solids and say the rear end feels very planted in comparison...what do you expect lol.

I'd say solids noticeably dull turn-in but then i'm sure it would make the rear more predictable if you started playing with LoOs etc. I think they are a great mod if the rest of your suspension set up is significantly different from standard and you have the capability to play around with the oversteer/understeer balance or you are doing a lot of hard track/offroad work.

Saying that, i'd rather have understeer in a road car /boring. Depends on how you like your car to behave I suppose.
[Image: 306-gti6-side-strips.jpg]

Finished colour coding the side strips last week, left them for about 5 days for the lacquer to harden and then gave them a quick polish and put them on at the weekend. No more horrible greyness :dance:
Not much more to tell really, had it MOT'd today and went through without a hitch so that is good.

Have kind of done everything I want to really, starting to get itchy feet and fancy something else. Had 306's for about 4 years now and although they are great cars, there's plenty more to try and you only live once.

Couple of photos from the other day.

[Image: sunlight1-1.jpg]

[Image: sunlight2-1.jpg]
Looks bloody awesome :-)
You only live once - for the 306
This looks really tidy mate Smile I know the feeling about owning them for a few years and having slightly itchy feet, but there's just something that's much more satisfying about these that I can't seem to find with any other car in the same price range.
If you sell it youll just want another one within a couple of months.
Thanks for the positive comments guys, MOT man was impressed said you don't find many that clean any more.

(08-08-2012, 09:30 PM)Scott Wrote: [ -> ]This looks really tidy mate Smile I know the feeling about owning them for a few years and having slightly itchy feet, but there's just something that's much more satisfying about these that I can't seem to find with any other car in the same price range.

That's the problem Scott, they just give such good bang for your buck. atm i'm leaning towards a UK Integra Type R but you need to be spending close to £4k to get a good one.

Other options are a 325 e30 bmw just for fun/retro coolness or maybe a mkII golf 16v but they are both a step backwards in terms of speed and handling but would be nice to own just for the looks.
As you say, those two are both a step down, and even the ITR is a little more of a step sideways than a step forwards in my opinion. And at £4k for a good one, you're still looking at cars which are older than a most phase 3 GTi-6s.
As far as i'm concerned the current set up is pretty much perfect for road use (IMHO) so I won't be spending any more money on mods, just keeping her in top condition.

Had a few packages delivered recently...

Standard back box from JDMotorsport/CRspares which is "solid, surface rust only, no leaks". Clearly.

[Image: 20120830_181200.jpg]

[Image: 20120830_181323.jpg]

Oil and genuine filter
[Image: 20120901_125442.jpg]

Nissens rad, also bought a new bottom hose from Peugeot and the two clips which attach to the slam panel to hold the rad/condenser in place as the old ones have snapped.
[Image: 20120901_125530.jpg]

Found a replacement wing! Very happy as the dent in the current one annoys me immensely.
[Image: 20120901_125612.jpg]

Could be up for sale in the coming months if anyone is interested...
Really like this car, and love how standard you've kept it - very tidy example (and obviously the best because its black)
I agree. Looks great! Smile
So glad I didn't go after that exhaust!

Shame to hear you might be selling, mind if I ask why?
Pages: 1 2