306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Engine Braking and ICV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone know how the various sensors interact with each other to bring the revs back down to idle once the throttle is shut at high revs?

I understand fuel is cut on the overrun and if the throttle is closed presumably the ICV must be open? Or does it only open when the revs drop to idle speeds?
What are your symptoms?
I still feel I have overly heavy engine-braking, despite having replaced the MAP, TPS & lambda....
Maybe it's your actuall brakes....
Thanks Matt, but no. It's definitely engine-related.

Anyway, Lewis, from what a few have said on here previously (and in my engine issue thread on the '6 forum!) the ICV only opens at idle, when coming off the throttle in gear it doesn't do anything.
Starts to open when you drop through approx 1250rpms and adjusts fuelling/airflow from there. There's a slight delay on it to give it some hysterisis.
ICV only opens moves when the throttle butterfly is shut/near shut
as the ICV regulates air bypasing the butterfly
(04-12-2012, 01:33 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: [ -> ]What are your symptoms?
I still feel I have overly heavy engine-braking, despite having replaced the MAP, TPS & lambda....

Do you ever give up?
(04-12-2012, 01:33 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: [ -> ]What are your symptoms?

Nothing really, always thought the engine braking felt a bit heavy in the GTi at low revs and it just got me thinking that was all. I know my ICV is a bit dicky as well so thought the two could be related. Mine certainly isn't excessive enough to get me worried, are you sure your new engine isn't just healthier so there's more compression to fight against?

My theory with the ICV would be that if it is meant to open slightly to let the revs drop slowly, if it was shut/slow to open this could cause a harsher drop in revs.

(04-12-2012, 04:28 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: [ -> ]Starts to open when you drop through approx 1250rpms and adjusts fuelling/airflow from there. There's a slight delay on it to give it some hysterisis.

Really? So there is no air at all entering the engine if you lift off at 5500rpm and it drops to ~1250?
The ICV never fully shut's, It generally stays at it's last position and goes from there, The power steering sensor can cause stalling as well
(04-12-2012, 07:19 PM)lewisdmz Wrote: [ -> ]Really? So there is no air at all entering the engine if you lift off at 5500rpm and it drops to ~1250?

As miles says, the throttle/ICV never completely shut, there's always some air passing through.
Thanks guyss