306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: How's this for electrical gremlins...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right, so first things first, hop in the nad to move it to give it a an oil change, won't start. Cranks, weakly. OK, 'battery's dead' I think. Jump it off the Volvo, starts fine, a little lumpy, nothing the loud pedal doesn't fix.

Get it up on the ramps, oil change, sandwich plate, blahdee blah.

Doesn't start again, not surprising, only had it running for 5 mins.

Jump it off the Volvo again, and go for a good 20 minute drive.

On the way back, indicate left, stereo goes apeshit. pauses the music, then flickers the HU on and off, push some buttons, resumes CD from the beginning.

Indicate again, same thing happens, push some buttons, fixes it, then it starts spazzing out with out touching any other electrical stuff in the car.

Get home, turn the car off, go inside, remember I wanted to patch up and heat wrap the exhaust, so I go out with the intention of turning the car around to work on the exhaust, notice that the stereo is on, but not playing anything.

Try and start it, dash lights come on really dim with the ignition, and then it thinks about cranking, but then gives up the ghost. Just clicks when I turn the key.

Up until today, I've had NO issues what so ever starting it in the morning. well, not from battery related issues anyway.

Just to clarify, I haven't fiddled with the electrics since I got the car.

What the actual f*ck is going on?
I suppose it would suggest some kind of short. Not sure on the 106 but is there a big plug in the bay to connect through the firewall.?
The indicator/HU issue could suggest another short behind the dash
Ed tampered with it, so you'll eventually have to give it back to him? Guess he must realllyyyyy miss it!
Can't be eds fault or the raccoon filter would have gone.....
[Image: gizmoalbum_pic.jpg]
Hahahhaha!!! Amazing
GIZMO!

If it's Gizmo, I want him please!
check the earth behind the throttle pedal. Could be back feeding to the HU
(28-11-2012, 04:48 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]Can't be eds fault or the raccoon filter would have gone.....

You mean cant be Eds fault or it would be tapping.
all above is funny, quite funny lol

anyway.

earth behind the pedal: removed, cleaned, replaced.
earth behind the rad: removed, cleaned, replaced
earth behind the battery: removed, cleaned, replaced.

think that sorted the stereo thing, now i cant feel my fingers, or my nose, or my back.

need a battery charger now to see if the batt will hold charge. also need to dig out my multi meter
it sounds like the battery ??? if it goes with a jump, then it points to a weak battery anyway....

when engines running , alternator is keeping things going---so when you try to work more electrical items----it throws a wobbler.....

so first of all check battery voltage with multimeter to see whats in it
get it running; use multi-meter across battery to check voltage again and keep it connected for next step.
put all lights on, heater blower,hazards ,hrw.........see what the multimeter says now...

it should dip down as you use more power, so rev the engine and you should see voltage go up to about13.0---14.0 volts...

if it does rise---the alternators ok
if it doesnt move the alternators gone
yeah i know the bettery is now flat, it was more what was causing the battery to die being the issue. i noticed that the stereo was still on even when the ignition was off, which isn't normal. Niall suggested earths, cleaned up a bunch and now the stereo is off with the ignition off.

bettery will be getting checked and charged tomorrow, battery light went off when i jumped it, so that suggests the alt is a-ok. ill be getting a multi meter on it tomorrow to check the voltage anyway
Just sounds like the batterys being gay to me. You'll know for sure with the multi meter Big Grin You going to put the multimeter on the battery then turn it over to see what it drops to? Thats how i determine if they're nackered :p
Seriously, you find Gizmo, you bring him to me!
(28-11-2012, 08:01 PM)Tom Wrote: [ -> ]Just sounds like the batterys being gay to me. You'll know for sure with the multi meter Big Grin You going to put the multimeter on the battery then turn it over to see what it drops to? Thats how i determine if they're nackered :p

on of the earths was f*cked, cleaning it did fix the stereo issue. gunna charge the battery, then test things with a multimeter; plain, charged battery, battery connected with nothing on, ignition on, cranking, running. i know what they should read at all those points. got a few spare batteries that are hopefully still good, so fingers crossed i dont have to spend money on it.

(28-11-2012, 08:07 PM)Kimmie Wrote: [ -> ]Seriously, you find Gizmo, you bring him to me!

no.
Gona say, defo an earth issue....

That spacking out is the chassis trying to ground back to the battery through the engine via the driveshaft knuckles.... The earth continuity was stolen by the indicators when you turned them on, causing the radio to spack...
Cool, think that's sorted, just need to charge the battery and see what happens tomorrow
fixed it. i think. battery charged, plonked it on, fired up! left it idling to warm up the exhaust before patching it, started missing a bit, need to change the fuel filter, air's getting in there.
but, elctrically fixed Big Grin