306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: The Racetractor. The End.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Don't get me wrong, she's running some timing - but the main cause of the noise is simply because there is no sound deadening between the interior and the engine bay, so you do actually hear the motor somewhat.

If you put a bit of anything in between other than a bit of tin, it'd be much quieter!
Amazingly its not running much advance at all, but it does have a heavier "knock" than the xud9 imo.

But on full chat, the note changes somewhat! And its pretty sweet...but all in my opinion.

As Roo says, there is just a few mm of tin between you and the engine. You may aswell have you ear on the bonnet! Plus the camera is mounted on the windscreen further forward than driver/passenger
<3 diesel clatter

Had this thing come past me on boost, sounds mint

Braaawwwwwwp
Nice bit of post editing there piglet lol
(25-06-2015, 01:39 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: [ -> ]Nice bit of post editing there piglet lol

what do you mean  Itwasntme
Oh dear, people have been taking my posts too seriously again. lol I love the noise of diesel clatter as much as the next man, just don't expect to be able to hear it quite so clearly in the videos, if you watch some other tuned derv vids you'll see what i mean. Probably just the stripped-out-ness i can hear then, just curious was all, no offence meant.
Personally, the note has the immediate effect of making me walk out to the workshop to continue building mine.
(27-06-2015, 12:45 AM)205dtub Wrote: [ -> ]Personally,  the note has the immediate effect of making me walk out to the workshop to continue building mine.

thankyou fella Smile

https://youtu.be/KvqXg7PfD0o
soooo... no video updates as I have naff all internet

But I hope these pics will upload.

Basically, just been waiting on little bits to arrive as so busy not got time to go to shops or a town WITH shops to buy the odd bit of pipe or connector!

Cooling system is FINALLY plumbed in and bled. Had to switch to 19mm piping to the rear of the block from expansion bottle which was a PIG!

Then had to order two 90degree bends from ASH, SO EXPENSIVE, which then turned up two days late after paying next day delivery.

Bodged the grill to see if it helps and if I like the look of it. One side was ok, the other I got too hot. Doh (see wanted thread! lol)

Need to finish the bonnet now (guna attempt to wrap it in something you will all hate) and will try and get some lexan sliders in place as its BOILING inside!

[attachment=24204][attachment=24205][attachment=24206]

where has that fourth picture come from?

I uploaded and linked only THREE pics?!
Good job mate will be taking a gander at pugfest Tongue
ASH are useless with their postage. My stuff is ALWAYS late!
Could be much worse than carbon wrap.
(06-07-2015, 09:09 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]ASH are useless with their postage. My stuff is ALWAYS late!

wasnt cheap either!
Where are you buying it from? ASH are about as cheap as they get for half-decent hoses as far as i've seen, their own shop is usually cheapest ime.
(07-07-2015, 06:38 AM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2015, 09:09 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]ASH are useless with their postage. My stuff is ALWAYS late!

wasnt cheap either!

Not the cheapest, but very good quality - shame you didn't get them in time after paying extra though
(07-07-2015, 12:12 PM)Poodle Wrote: [ -> ]Where are you buying it from? ASH are about as cheap as they get for half-decent hoses as far as i've seen, their own shop is usually cheapest ime.

direct.

two 90degree 2.25" blue bends and 4 Tbolt clamps and next day delivery... few pence change from £50.

Bloody arrived in a used tiny cardboard box aswel. Very unimpressed
Why people buy T bolt clamps i don't know. Whats wrong with a good quality jubilee which is substantially cheaper?!

Agreed though that ASH stuff is cheap for the quality you get but you just have to order it about 6 years before you need it!
Jeez that is a lot. Confused I use jubilees, maybe that's the difference then.
Pftt, decent cable ties will go boost tight is you tighten them up right.
(07-07-2015, 05:39 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Why people buy T bolt clamps i don't know. Whats wrong with a good quality jubilee which is substantially cheaper?!

Agreed though that ASH stuff is cheap for the quality you get but you just have to order it about 6 years before you need it!

some of us run alot of boost we require a more manly clamp! are you going to replace the v band with a poxy jubilee?

But seriously piggy id get your pipes welded together the money spent on hoses and clamps it could of paid for some tig work. I have 4 joins through out my system it never fails.
(07-07-2015, 08:06 PM)Stef205 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-07-2015, 05:39 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Why people buy T bolt clamps i don't know. Whats wrong with a good quality jubilee which is substantially cheaper?!

some of us run alot of boost we require a more manly clamp! are you going to replace the v band with a poxy jubilee?

But seriously piggy id get your pipes welded together the money spent on hoses and clamps it could of paid for some tig work. I have 4 joins through out my system it never fails.

This did dawn on me.

Now I am "set" with this setup I may well do this esp as my tolerances are so small at the mo and I cant get 80 degree or 35degree bends etc! 

fancy tigging me some up? Wink

oh yeah, and I run more than "pffttt" amount of boost Niall. 

PLUS, I did have all my boost pipes with GENUINE Jubilees... I had them popping off. AND I have stripped most of them too, even brand new, Ruan too stripped one for me! I don't like mikalors/Tbolts for the sizing issue and I still do have a jubilee or two but I will be replacing them one by one as I get the funds as none of my tbolt/mikalors have yet come off or stripped.

It is something I too defended and thought Jubilees were the boooyz, but for my boost pipes, not so. 

(07-07-2015, 07:43 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: [ -> ]Pftt, decent cable ties will go boost tight is you tighten them up right.

not my sort of boost they wont. And its a one time thing with a jubilee. Can't be doing with that!

(07-07-2015, 07:39 PM)Poodle Wrote: [ -> ]Jeez that is a lot. Confused I use jubilees, maybe that's the difference then.

tbh, I was too...but my experience has shown after having to buy twice that it wasnt cheaper. 4 T bolts were only £8 ish anyway
(07-07-2015, 08:21 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-07-2015, 08:06 PM)Stef205 Wrote: [ -> ]

fancy tigging me some up? Wink

yeah of course buy me a ac/dc tig and some pure argon and ill get it done Wink
my friend does all mine so sadly i cant help you there Sad
IME I've NEVER had a *genuine* Jubilee or JCS Hi-Torque ones fail on me in terms of popping off, usually end up crushing the pipe or going through the silicon before the actual clamp fails.

If you're really having problems, take a look at Murray clamps - they're reasonably pricey, but they will not fail.
(07-07-2015, 11:02 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]IME I've NEVER had a *genuine* Jubilee or JCS Hi-Torque ones fail on me in terms of popping off, usually end up crushing the pipe or going through the silicon before the actual clamp fails.

If you're really having problems, take a look at Murray clamps - they're reasonably pricey, but they will not fail.

This is no dig at you, but even you stripped one of my genuine Jubilees whilst working on my shed

That and the fact that even the stainless ones seem to look nasty after a few months AND the genuine ones I get from my local motorfactors are actually only about 20% cheaper than a mikalor one... I've moved on! They are as genuine as I can find them too, motor factors, jubilee display stand, jubilee stamp. 

The mikalors are a bitch to use mind.
sooo....

Pugfest.

Good things: was epic fun, used £7 fuel to get there and back and do 5 runs. Cooling was well up for the job. Got the back out a little. Great to see everyone. Make coal and noise! No one seemed too upset with my "carbon effect wrap"!

Bad things: broke a plastic pipe on my expansion tank. someone nicked a dust cap and let a rear tyre down!

time for more fuelling me thinks as it was rather clean on boost! Amazing considering last year with the GT2056S it was coaling a LOT. We then fitted the GTB20 and turned up the fuel screw by a turn and a half. And we had haze on full throttle/boost. Now with uprated manifold/turbo/exhaust its SO clean!

And.....

weighed it in today.

1000kg!

some pics:

[attachment=24296][attachment=24297][attachment=24298][attachment=24299]

[attachment=24300][attachment=24301]
1000kg?? you need to get this thing down to 950 kg Tongue
(13-07-2015, 08:18 PM)procta Wrote: [ -> ]1000kg??  you need to get this thing down to 950 kg Tongue

still got heavy fiberglass seats, steel wheels, fat spacers and the sound deadening stuff.

Don't think I would managed 950 though...not without a different engine me thinks
Trucks use the Mikalor High pressure clamps on the boost hoses, they work, never had issues fitting them.

looking them up on the Mikalor site their data suggests around 20 bar pressure for the standard Jubilee worm drive clamp, or near double for the T-bolt style.
what the hell you doing with two seats? get one removed and tell the wife to walk Tongue
(13-07-2015, 08:23 PM)procta Wrote: [ -> ]what the hell you doing with two seats?  get one removed and tell the wife to walk Tongue

tbh, she prefers it.

I seemed to scare her too much on way to pugfest that her nerves were no good for any hill runs lol  I was only cruising too!

I just timed my runs:

from 1st to 5th run:

1:02

I really wanted another run or two but it was too late and with our bodged repair I wasnt sure how long I would have my coolant.

The first bend, once warm and rubbered in I rekon is flat. Second hairpin I need to carry MUCH more momentum through, little kink before esses needs to be flat, then straighten and brake for the esses, and last bend I think I need to stay in 3rd aswell, lose a LOT of time on the second hairpin and last bend.

Car was immense to be honest, so much more grip than last year, more power but able to put more down, and the brakes are just amazing.

The only reason it wasnt closer to 55 seconds.... me. Driver lack of skill!