306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: The Racetractor. The End.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Would be a real shame to see this broken, i don't think you need any more encouragement, but it's one of my favourite cars on here.
well well well.

I am really in two minds now. Partly due to the encouragement and partly due to the tuning time with Ruan last night.

Good and bad news.

Bad news:

We had all but finished the night and on the last or so power run, in 4th, hard pull, I blew a manifold weld on the turbo flange! Fast n Furious YO! So we had to end it there. Have to weld it back up monday as its my anniversary weekend.

Good news:

MY GOODNESS DOES SHE SHIFT! WHAT A FREAKING DIFFERENCE!
A few times I crunched some gears as I paniced when I suddenly saw I had hit 5k rpm! Which may not sound much but she was outa puff by 4500rpm before!
And she pulls like a freaking rocket train. A cheetah on cocaine!
and the sound....
oh the sound.
Ruan doesnt like it much, but due to that manifold, it sounds like a boxer engine. Sounds SO naughty. And then when it comes on boost it just sings!

She took the abuse too. We did about 60miles, basically blasting from town to town, hard 3rd and 4th gear pulls. Water temp never went above 89/90 and oil temp peaked at 95 once. (still no oil cooler)
And when we got back, the inlet and boost pipes were FREEZING!

So all is well....other than the manifold leak lol
Will fix leak and try and sort some videos Smile
Ohhh your making me all excited about getting mine up and running Smile so do you recon the magical 250bhp is achievable? Sounds promising from you comments mate keep it up.
Im excited to go out in this. Make me push on with mine a but more.
Brapppp, that sound is addictive, glad it's all working out - must be pleased as punch. What boost she running?
(30-05-2015, 11:03 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: [ -> ]Brapppp, that sound is addictive, glad it's all working out - must be pleased as punch. What boost she running?

maybe you can chat to ruan at some point this weekend as we were struggling to get it to behave.

But we had it starting to settle around 1.7bar. I woudl like 2 tbh
Rofl I love this project,  for the love of God,  don't ever break it.
Would be criminal to strip one of the cleanest modified Derv 306s there ever was. 
I understand you need a break from it and to spend more time with your family, don't break it, park it up for a while till you make a decision proper.

But sell me the arduino when you do weigh it in though! # Firstvulture.
Don't be a tart, just keep her.

Also how much faster than the 218bhp stage does she feel?
If it helps I'm a petrolhead through and through and think that diesel is great for doing 56mph and saving money and not much else, and despite all of that this is one of my favourite projects on the forum, and I find it very inspiring.
Thanks again for all the comments. REALLy spurring me on Smile
Maybe I can keep off selling her till next summer and break it then as the last push to paying off stuff.

Depends how reliable she is over next few months.

To be honest, once this week or so is over, I have only one or two mods left to do other than tidying bodywork, so I should be doing less 15hour days on it!
Please tell me you are doing some interior footage of this on track? I've really become interested in diesels since my dad bought his Stage 2 HDi.

Would be great to see this actually thrashing around Combe!
(01-06-2015, 05:12 PM)Pebbles167 Wrote: [ -> ]Please tell me you are doing some interior footage of this on track? I've really become interested in diesels since my dad bought his Stage 2 HDi.

Would be great to see this actually thrashing around Combe!

yes indeedy. Just need to make a little center mount for me Nopro
That really is some nice work!! congrats
so the good and the bad...

bad. My cherry on the cake fibreglass bonnet which I was going to wrap so it was the french flag wont be here in time. very long exhausting and utterly frustration story. Very upset.

My current bonnet is rather buggered. Sad

Good.
Ruan came over with a new bit of coding for the arduino...he found it while trawling. After some magic we had it working, except the lcd screen and went testing.
She goes just fine! This new software is SO good. Much smoother, better control, better adjustablility. I have NO idea how it truly works but basically its more analogue than digital.
Some fine tuning on route to FCS but she is pretty good.

I have NO idea what the gauges say once on boost...theres NO way to see them...too much road whizzing by!

ready...other than the crappy bonnet that I duno what to do with now Undecided

[attachment=23565]
This I got to say is amazing! Well done mate... Just because there's not much more you want to do now I would just enjoy it!
Looks great.

Can't you temporarily do anything to dress the inside of the bonnet? Mirror acrylic/vinyl or anything? Would finish it off nicely.

[Image: IMAG0024.jpg]
Yeah I going to have to do something aint I.

I may just quickly paint it then paint a french tache on it!

(04-06-2015, 07:57 AM)Lwilliams Wrote: [ -> ]This I got to say is amazing! Well done mate... Just because there's not much more you want to do now I would just enjoy it!

yeah I am hoping so. 

FG bonnet, some decent lightweight wheels and oil cooler and we are all about done tbh!

When I get the FG bonnet I hope to get a few bits painted, bumpers, boot, door bumps etc
looking great piggy!
bugger.
starter motor solenoid is dying. DOH!
(05-06-2015, 09:07 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]bugger.
starter motor solenoid is dying. DOH!

sods law that is piggy, my alternator has just burned its self out!
Got a spare gti6 starter here if you are desperate
(05-06-2015, 09:36 PM)adam b Wrote: [ -> ]Got a spare gti6 starter here if you are desperate

wonder if solenoids would swap!?
Same starter innit? Does yours use an xud9 one?
so, FCS!

Got there all fine and early.

Had an ACE position on stand, thanks fellas. Felt I had done my best with my wing display and french flag and french bread and stickers and tash etc...

then a bloody great big crappy LASSA van parked right up tight next to me. Prats. Sod off to japfest with your jap cars. Pillocks.

But never mind. Track time came round and I went out twice with Mrs Piggy and once with Bash. Took it real steady as she was getting hot fast. Took numberplate off after 1st one and that helped a bit (got holes cut behind) then after Bash session, me and ruan decided no, the grill is not required. So removed it.

I then went out on my own and WOOHOO! It stayed under 100degrees and I just kept on going. Track felt real quiet which was nice. Felt like I had it to myself for the last bit which was ace. Nearly lost it into the essess got rather sideways, but all good. I hit 125mph down the main straight before loosing nerve approaching avon!

SO MUCH more potential in the chassis and brakes etc.

Came home fine. I fair victory imo.

Had a bit of an issue towards the end with gearchanges, started on bash's run, turned out I was losing some gearbox oil, nearside driveshaft seal. I did the offside one last week but it obvisouly needs the other doing.
And on way home the offside outer CV joint died!

But I have those parts in my parts store so I will sort them once I get back off holiday.

so the next plan:

Get better air into the rad
Get that oil cooler fitted
Look around for a better rad
Fix gearbox oil leak
fix cv joint
Fit fibreglass bonnet WHEN it arrives.
Find some lighter seats and wheels

Oh and with about 45-50minutes of track time and hooning to Combe and back home, it did 32mpg.

Pretty cool.
That oil or water at 100?
Good to hear, shame i was looking round the show towards the end of your session so missed your 125mph down the straight, that must of looked seriously rapid.
(07-06-2015, 05:28 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: [ -> ]Good to hear, shame i was looking round the show towards the end of your session so missed your 125mph down the straight, that must of looked seriously rapid.

I did last few laps consistently at that speed, just before I peed myself and braked!

(07-06-2015, 05:13 PM)adam b Wrote: [ -> ]That oil or water at 100?

water obviously.

oil was 120ish
Piggy did notice you rad does look very thin... Anyway nice to see it in person and fair play 125 down the straight is good I get 120 ish... So quicker than ours. Our oil got to around 130 max we need to fit a oil cooler. Water temps were fine but nice to see it out there.
I've said it before in here, the effort that goes into this car is unreal, there's not many people who go to the same level of detail in so many areas!!

Had a great (even if I could do with a new spine and some new ear drums...) drive down yesterday, James gave it some abuse on track, it highlighted a few problems that needed to be sorted, but the chassis and engine were performing brilliantly - just need to work on the cooling system, with the grill removed, things improved, which is a good sign, we're not limited by how much heat can be moved in the system, rather removing it once it's in the system! I think some shrouds to help force the air through the radiator would help, naturally having a knob off intercooler in the way doesn't help matters! Also an oil cooler going back on will help hugely to reduce the load on the cooling system.

Turbo control working great, few tweaks needed here and there, but working as intended and holding good exhaust and inlet pressure - response is pretty unreal, turbo is ready to go again after every gearchange, no hanging about!

Glad all the effort has paid off - it's definitely getting there!