306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: The Racetractor. The End.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(06-11-2014, 09:41 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: [ -> ]im lazy and bang em out with a socket and a hammer.

so, how do you refit them!?
Use a spring compressor to put them back but just socket and hammer to remove them. Can do a whole head in 30 seconds.
Also when putting them back together, use a bit of grease on the collets because otherwise they are right fiddly little bastards to get to stay where you want them lol
(06-11-2014, 10:33 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Use a spring compressor to put them back but just socket and hammer to remove them. Can do a whole head in 30 seconds.
Also when putting them back together, use a bit of grease on the collets because otherwise they are right fiddly little bastards to get to stay where you want them lol

And damage the spring cups, lose the collets and spend 30minutes finding them!? Such a pikey way to do it. I never have, never will.

I highlighted the grease in my tools bit at the beginning!!?
Lol yeah, much more effort than I ever put in..

I just shove a magnet up the ass of a socket, twat with hammer, collets fly off and stick to magnet... Bingo Wink
(06-11-2014, 10:38 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-11-2014, 10:33 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Use a spring compressor to put them back but just socket and hammer to remove them. Can do a whole head in 30 seconds.

And damage the spring cups, lose the collets and spend 30minutes finding them!? Such a pikey way to do it. I never have, never will.

I highlighted the grease in my tools bit at the beginning!!?

Doesn't damage the spring cups. Only need a light tap. And you don't loose the collets if you know how to do it. Ive done loads and never lost a single one!
You keep the socket on the top of the spring, twat it and make sure you don't remove it straight away. Bingo, collets stay in the socket.
you bunch of pikeys!

sorry, never have done it....as my engine has made more power than either of yours....I never will!
(06-11-2014, 10:44 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]you bunch of pikeys!

sorry, never have done it....as my engine has made more power than either of yours....I never will!

Yeah...cos that power lasted long Angel

Its a well known way of removing them. Absolutely nothing wrong with it!
(06-11-2014, 11:04 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah...cos that power lasted long Angel

just as long as your bottom end Tongue

(06-11-2014, 11:04 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Its a well known way of removing them.

well known for pikeys... bodgers...diy mechanics etc
(06-11-2014, 11:13 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-11-2014, 11:04 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah...cos that power lasted long Angel

just as long as your bottom end Tongue

(06-11-2014, 11:04 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Its a well known way of removing them.

well known for pikeys... bodgers...diy mechanics etc

I think my bottom end lasted long than your head. That lasted about 3 weeks lol

Its still not a pikey way to do it. Please explain what it can do that will have a detrimental effect on the way the engine runs?
I could use a number of "quicker" methods of doing things using tools not designed for the job....but theres good reasons for all of them why a tool was made for the job.
I am quite sure that when engine builders design an engine they dont give the master craftsman a 19mm socket and a lump hammer as part of their valve kit!
We used to have a tool specially designed for Isuzu when I worked there which was basically a socket with a magnet inside. Never damaged a thing. My current boss is like you though piggy. Likes using a spring comppreso to get em out. Personally hammer and socket man myself.

Like this one.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/371167136487?nav=SEARCH
Worked a treat.
Thats fine if its a tool made for the job. But I am never going to reccomend to peeps out there who may never have done it before to just get a socket and hammer out!!
True if havnt done it best if they do it with spring comppresor. For the rest of us "pikeys" socket ftw
Moving on anyhow....

Starting to clean all the muck out...
[attachment=19935]
[attachment=19936]

Hmmm yummeeeeee!

Then a side by side of the first bit of work of gasket matching...

[attachment=19937]

Lots yet to do! Smile
Tbf, no more damage than the cam coming round at 5000rpm and smacking the bucket...

Bet you the strike from the cam hitting it is worse than tapping it with a hammer.
Well, next time your taking some cables apart ruan, rip out ya hammer and chissel....I'm sure it will be quicker!!
Regardless of which tools best lol, that vid was really good, better music this time as well.

I've never removed or seen valves removed before, so interesting to see for me at least! Surprised at the amount of shite behind the valves though, that must cause a massive restriction!
Don't worry, I use my jack hammer and air chisel on them instead Smile
Are you machining the ports out then?
(07-11-2014, 10:43 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: [ -> ]Are you machining the ports out then?

Doing some head trickey with the old die grinder bits aye!!

Port/gasket matching is a must though.

(07-11-2014, 09:40 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]I've never removed or seen valves removed before, so interesting to see for me at least! Surprised at the amount of shite behind the valves though, that must cause a massive restriction!

Tbh that was partially clean when I took that, it was really bad. My original head was the same. The ports were about 40% smaller!
So ordered some nice tungsten bits as the old grinder stone thingys are not designed for ally, and pretty dangerous by some accounts too, although they came in handy on the wrought iron(!) exhaust manifold. So thats gasket matched now, took a fair bit off. Also welded ina stud for the relocation manifold as its a pig to do on the car as a bolt.
Did some more cleaning and lapping too. No pics of all of it, had to rush round doing other things for weekend in Minehead.
But video is currently under editing.......

All thats left is replace the oil return hose, clean up the block, "adjust" the precup openings and do some porting when those lovely bits arrived Smile Lick of VHT paint and pop it all back together.

Oh, found that my new driveshaft, inner cv joint gaiter clip has bust and spat cv grease everywhere Angry Something else to clean up!

ThumbsUp
You opening up the precups then?
Yeah just waiting on some decent hardened grinder die bits
(08-11-2014, 12:15 AM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]So ordered some nice tungsten bits as the old grinder stone thingys are not designed for ally, and pretty dangerous by some accounts too, although they came in handy on the wrought iron(!) exhaust manifold.

Wrought iron exhaust manifold eh? You been up-cycling old Victorian boat anchors or something in the rest of your spare time? :p

Good attention to detail on most of the rest of the build as ever tho. Smile
Yeah its not, but it weighs like it is lol
have you got a precup on the jolly there?

make sure you get some pics of before and after taking the dremel to them
(08-11-2014, 07:15 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: [ -> ]have you got a precup on the jolly there?

make sure you get some pics of before and after taking the dremel to them

It aint guna be pretty!! Haha
Well just to note how much you open them up, I'd document it, get some measurements too.
Ok. I'll measure.

To be totally honest...Ive never done it before or seen it done. So...well...I'll drash on! Haha!!

I'd never rebuilt and tuned a xud11 before...but its worked out sorta ok!! Haha