306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: The Racetractor. The End.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't remember slagging off other peoples builds... And if I did, shame on me.

Oh n figures matter massively... So unbelieveably useful to be able to see where and when it makes power, boost lines etc... But maybe I am learning here that having SO much power doesn't mean SO much fun. ....I mean tbh, the mrs 206 stg1 HDi is a right hoot to drive...even in saggy suspension mode!
(30-11-2015, 08:01 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]I don't remember slagging off other peoples builds... And if I did, shame on me.

Oh n figures matter massively... So unbelieveably useful to be able to see where and when it makes power, boost lines etc... But maybe I am learning here that having SO much power doesn't mean SO much fun. ....I mean tbh, the mrs 206 stg1 HDi is a right hoot to drive...even in saggy suspension mode!

That isn't figures you find useful though. Thats a graph which shows where it makes its peak power etc which i agree with you is useful because you can then see where things need altering to smooth that graph out and alter it to how you want the car to drive.
Tbh I've always said power is far from everything. i know i sound like a broken record with this but its like the eaton 6's vs the low boost Lynx 6's. Yeah the Lynx kit has more power but what use is it when its making less than standard power until about 5k and only makes a great improvement over standard at 6k+? To me, thats not all that drivable and so i would rather have 30hp less but with peak torque at a little under 4500rpm.
But then thats just my personal opinion. Some people are all about figures.
Ah so that's why my v6 rallye ate them...
Have we any official numbers yet? Other people's misery is what keeps us all going Smile
(30-11-2015, 09:34 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Tbh I've always said power is far from everythinext? ng. i know i sound like a broken record with this but its like the eaton 6's vs the low boost Lynx 6's. Yeah the Lynx kit has more power but what use is it when its making less than standard power until about 5k and only makes a great improvement over standard at 6k+? To me, thats not all that drivable and so i would rather have 30hp less but with peak torque at a little under 4500rpm.

Sorry,  but that really is not true. 

Piggy, 
How did you arrive at valve float? What's going down next?
lol waiting for a lynx owner to get sore on that comment. What is not true?
(01-12-2015, 07:42 PM)C2K Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-11-2015, 09:34 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Tbh I've always said power is far from everythinext? ng. i know i sound like a broken record with this but its like the eaton 6's vs the low boost Lynx 6's. Yeah the Lynx kit has more power but what use is it when its making less than standard power until about 5k and only makes a great improvement over standard at 6k+? To me, thats not all that drivable and so i would rather have 30hp less but with peak torque at a little under 4500rpm.

Sorry,  but that really is not true. 

Piggy, 
How did you arrive at valve float? What's going down next?

What you mean arrive at valve float?
You can hear it happen tbh if thats what you mean?
And i dont understand by whats going down next?
I simply meant what's your next course of action. Smile

Having not encountered valve float before, I'm presuming it makes a very distinctive sound?
(01-12-2015, 08:26 PM)C2K Wrote: [ -> ]I simply meant what's your next course of action. Smile

Having not encountered valve float before, I'm presuming it makes a very distinctive sound?

Yeah!

My instagram/FB has the little video of it coaling at Darrens and at end you hear it.
Also on my youtube channel of the RR last year, you hear it happen just before the guy lets off the throttle

Next: check turbo, replace egt probe, replace bonnet catches. Fix arduino. Then fit a td04

https://youtu.be/ZQLdR2wayIs
(30-11-2015, 07:31 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-11-2015, 05:53 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]You're all so kind! lol

Well, I would hope it's more than 180...I mean £45 on a map on standard parts gets a 1.9PD to that.... Wink

Seriously though, it's more power to weight with this than outright power anyway, looks quick enough in the videos!  But you can't just moan about poor figures without showing them, will be bugging me and others lol! Confused  My '180' PD made 167bhp back in the day...with very little camshaft left. lol   I hope you've beat that at least...

you obviously never saw piggy taking it around a track then..

i am pretty sure the tractor mowing the centre field could have done it quicker at Coombe.

I always thought that Valve Float was a condition that occurred when the engine speed was so high the springs didnt have time to properly retract the valve in the seat and hence they stayed either partially or fully open..

generally over 6k RPM on an XUD....

does yours run over 6k piggy? or are you running 50PSi with shagged springs... maybe the initial float is being caused by the excess heat weakening the valve springs and allowing float at lower RPMs... they would still be significantly higher than anything you could hope to acheive without some serious internal parts shitting the bed.,.
Valve float on turbocharged engines tends to be nothing to do with RPMs...

Usually a result of high manifold pressures causing the valves to open - the noise is pretty distinctive - it just sounds f*cked!
(01-12-2015, 10:30 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]it just sounds f*cked!

Don't all XU engines? lol
(01-12-2015, 10:30 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]Valve float on turbocharged engines tends to be nothing to do with RPMs...

Usually a result of high manifold pressures causing the valves to open - the noise is pretty distinctive - it just sounds f*cked!

yeah but fag packet calculation he would need 65psi to do that on the inlet side, and the back pressure of the manifold to do this would be somewhere similar.. if you have 65psi in your manifold the turbo would have fallen to bits long before it even got off the drive..
(01-12-2015, 10:14 PM)toseland Wrote: [ -> ]i am pretty sure the tractor mowing the centre field could have done it quicker at Coombe.  

That was more driver than car though as when he kept decent corner speed he was hauling ass down the straights.
Hmmm yeah lets all criticise the session of trying to keep the temps under 110 and ignore the wet session at combe a few months later when the likes of 200bhp corsas and evo's couldnt keep up.
Bury the hatchet hey toseland... Happy to if you'll let go of it!

The valve float as highlight is not always rpm related.

We were getting over 4bar of EMP due to the vanes not fully opening...and on the last run we had valve float at 3k rpm very obviously, again due to vanes not opening at all!

(I say over 4bar...the 4bar gauge I have gets pinned...so I assume 4 bar min)

(I say over 4bar...the 4bar gauge I have gets pinned...so I assume 4 bar min)
The cause is just about always high EMP, this is also the cause I think to most HDI rocker related issues, and other problems. You can hear the engine just go distinctly flat at certain rpm, and the more you up the boost, the lower the rpm it happens...Just sounds epically broken / you can instantly tell that there is a top end problem.

The car was pinning the EMP gauge at relatively low rpm, so can assure you there was more than enough pressure here to cause a problem, and IMO this is the key to why the car was not performing as expected, high EMP's / lots of smoke, all says to me turbo / turbo control was not happy...VNT choking itself up with vanes to far in close I would think, unless there is turbo damage from issues...
(01-12-2015, 10:49 PM)toseland Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-12-2015, 10:30 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]Valve float on turbocharged engines tends to be nothing to do with RPMs...

yeah but fag packet calculation he would need 65psi to do that on the inlet side, and the back pressure of the manifold to do this would be somewhere similar.. if you have 65psi in your manifold the turbo would have fallen to bits long before it even got off the drive..

What mathematics have you done to calculate that!!!
(01-12-2015, 07:51 PM)Stef205 Wrote: [ -> ]lol waiting for a lynx owner to get sore on that comment. What is not true?

Well power curves for LBSC '6 engines with a lynx charger don't show them being 30hp down at low rpms.
New fail for the DarrenDyno...

Why you don't buy a cheap EGT probe...

[attachment=26097]
So i dont log on properly for a few weeks and all this happens
Well that confirms the problem then
(02-12-2015, 12:29 PM)RetroPug Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-12-2015, 07:51 PM)Stef205 Wrote: [ -> ]lol waiting for a lynx owner to get sore on that comment. What is not true?

Well power curves for LBSC '6 engines with a lynx charger don't show them being 30hp down at low rpms.

depends if you believe rr figures but dyno fiqures have proved they have.
(03-12-2015, 09:47 PM)Stef205 Wrote: [ -> ]

I'd be very interested to see these.

What do you think is causing them to be 30hp down with more air into an otherwise std. engine? Parasitic losses surely can't be that large.

I'm not arguing that lynx kits are good or bad. I have no experience of them other than having seen power curves that do not suggest they are 30hp down before 4500rpm. I'm just interested.
(03-12-2015, 05:57 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: [ -> ]Well that confirms the problem then

That pic was taken in Lobbland
(03-12-2015, 10:12 PM)RetroPug Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-12-2015, 09:47 PM)Stef205 Wrote: [ -> ]

I'd be very interested to see these.

What do you think is causing them to be 30hp down with more air into an otherwise std. engine? Parasitic losses surely can't be that large.

I'm not arguing that lynx kits are good or bad. I have no experience of them other than having seen power curves that do not suggest they are 30hp down before 4500rpm. I'm just interested.

They aint 30bhp down, niall said hed rather have 30 less and the curve he has rather than nothing until top end..
We're not going to get the corrected results, are we?

Nobody should measure their penis by RR printouts, this car has been pushed to every extreme, on track or road.
It would only be civil to the many people reading this thread to explain your current power output, and why it is so?
(03-12-2015, 10:30 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: [ -> ]They aint 30bhp down, niall said hed rather have 30 less and the curve he has rather than nothing until top end..

This.
Ive never claimed exact figures. The graph i saw when i was looking at boost options for my car showed it down on power at lower RPMs. This was years ago now. Is it possible? Course. Its not on a standard map. Its on a generic map. Im not saying the map is shite by any means but it could well have been a graph from a poorly lynx 6? Who knows. My general point still stands though. I was making the point that what use is power when its at the top of the rev range. Thats my PERSONAL opinion. Some will like it like that. Personally i think you can get more use out of a car with power lower down the rev range.

(04-12-2015, 06:51 PM)Danny Wideboy Wrote: [ -> ]We're not going to get the corrected results,  are we?

Nobody should measure their penis by RR printouts,  this car has been pushed to every extreme, on track or road.
It would only be civil to the many people reading this thread to explain your current power output, and why it is so?

If he doesn't say what it is, i will soon lol
i reckon its 120hp seeing as the 1.8 was faster round track with its mighty 129hp
This is amazing, best update your sig James!
While you're all fannying around about the figures it made...this is why:

[attachment=26107]

1) it struggled after its first pull of 372ft lbs
2) I need a sit down

The actual figures of each run etc will all come out on the episode on my channel all in good time.
Just busy filming n sorting bits for other projects.

Then I'm going to start editing the hours n hours of footage to something useable