306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: A3 boost hunting!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Not a Peugeot, but it could be if you close your eyes and squint really hard..
Picked this up from Curt a few months ago when I got rid of the '6.
It needed (and still does) a lot of TLC, but I won't let that get in the way.
Went through the MOT 2 hours after picking it up and needed 4 new tyres (420 quid for budget tyres FUUUUUUU).

[Image: 39C1DB2B-D26B-451C-8D60-7965E721CBE9-687...94EA03.jpg]
[Image: A9E656F8-AD57-4DA1-9249-64B7D6BCF379-687...C921EB.jpg]
[Image: 4F09275E-BDCA-4B39-A36F-505E850CD09A-687...08EE4C.jpg]
Wasn't really sure what I wanted with the thing for a while then I killed the clutch.

Went for the VR6 pressure/friction plate as they seem to be a good match and are rumoured to hold around 400BHP should i so wish.

Haven't been very good at taking pictures throughout this sadly though..

Also replaced the diverter valve, much smoother through gear changes and a lot less lag.
[Image: 4E55F326-E5BF-47C9-AFDF-FB9CFC1CD328-687...B5A5A5.jpg]
http://s1162.beta.photobucket.com/user/v...sort=3&o=1
Of course, being me this didn't go without injury.
[Image: 026F2E19-9787-4D99-B708-6CC11DB7B8F9-687...503408.jpg]

It's a lovely car to drive especially for it's age/mileage (180k), but I still wanted more..
Haven't got any photos so a fairly boring update, buuuuut:

Went to go and get a stage 1 chip (195bhp+/-, probably a lot less knowing my luck), absolutely transforms the drive and amazingly economy has increased at cruise speeds too (thank f*ck).
However whilst the stage 1 was all well and good, the standard setup is rather restrictive so I ended up with:
- Forge TIP
- 3" downpipe & decat
and a forge 007p with cold side relocation like this..
[Image: DSCF1093-1.jpg]

Again, not just a placebo you can absolutely feel the effect the restriction on the standard intake pipe is unreal, the L bend before the turbo completely bottle necks you. [Image: badger5.jpg]

As the AGU engine is relatively strong and has been shown numerous times to support in excess of 350BHP and maintain reliability I wanted to play around with some more power.

I've been looking into various turbo set ups..
The K03s is pretty much a like for like just bolt it straight in and you are good to go - injectors are probably an idea but the standard ones should work for you up to about 240bhp.
At those sort of figures your going to be putting a lot of strain on the turbo, and I'm looking for reliability.

The K04 seems the other most common choice however there is an issue with the conversion: manifold (no one currently produces a manifold that doesn't split and crack as soon as you get it hot.

I've got a K04 to go in but currently toying with going for a cheap Chinese option. You can pick up these on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400307878886?s...64&afsrc=1
[Image: %24T2eC16V,!y0E9s2S65DEBQkp1OPtTg~~60_12.JPG]

A few members on ASN have run these at 330-350 BHP reliably and consistently and it is pretty much a bolt in job and done.

Hoping to get the new turbo set up sorted & in after Christmas.

Cheers!

/awaits abuse for having the wrong car
you know what this needs?

selling, then the funds put to buying a 306 Tongue
It's shit
WTF is this VAGAGAY shit doing on here?

/troll

What sort of power are the internals good for? Did you get yourself a new door in the end?
Don't buy a cheap Chinese turbo... unless you enjoy changing them and wasting money! If you're going BT (which is the way to go, forget the K04) then do it properly IMO. Just keep an eye out for a used one.
BT = British telecom? Big turbo?
blates British Telecom
lol well yes, both of those. But the turbo would be better for power
bisexual turbo?
(27-11-2012, 05:38 PM)Curt Wrote: [ -> ]Don't buy a cheap Chinese turbo... unless you enjoy changing them and wasting money! If you're going BT (which is the way to go, forget the K04) then do it properly IMO. Just keep an eye out for a used one.

See I was always under the impression they are shit but a lot of people seem to have no problem with them. One member ran 33 psi for 10 months with no play produced
(27-11-2012, 05:40 PM)Scott Wrote: [ -> ]bisexual turbo?

Linky????

I want one!
Just my opinion, I wouldn't take the risk though personally
(27-11-2012, 05:38 PM)Scott Wrote: [ -> ]WTF is this VAGAGAY shit doing on here?

/troll

What sort of power are the internals good for? Did you get yourself a new door in the end?

Stock internals are good for around the 300 mark, would need forged rods - the pistons can handle a lot more as (I believe) they are forged from standard.
In that case it should be 299 BHP already. Hurry up!
(27-11-2012, 05:42 PM)Curt Wrote: [ -> ]Just my opinion, I wouldn't take the risk though personally

The K04 I have now is of little use without a rebuild there's a lot of play in it and I currently lack a manifold to use with it which is why I'm looking at other options.
Obviously I don't want to go and fit it if I'm skeptical of how long it will run for but I think at a reasonable amount of boost it will be okay for the time frame I am looking at.
Dont you have to get 450cc injectors to run the ko4 turbo?
(27-11-2012, 08:23 PM)sam Wrote: [ -> ]Dont you have to get 450cc injectors to run the ko4 turbo?

Yep, forgot to list those - as well as the 2.0t coil packs
Injectors will need uprating for anything K04 upwards
(27-11-2012, 05:44 PM)Scott Wrote: [ -> ]it should be 299 BHP already. Hurry up!
its an audi therefore its gay and you drive like a twat*

*This is a generic assumption made towards all audi drivers seeing as most to drive like cocks!
You want some dish for this? I know who has some that may be for sale whistle
(27-11-2012, 09:17 PM)Curt Wrote: [ -> ]You want some dish for this? I know who has some that may be for sale whistle

I picked up some Rota Grids and S3 wheels on cheap I'm making a collection... Will give you a text
my pal just bought one of these, he loves it! just had it remapped and decatted too.
That's an AGU if I'm not mistaken... Should be good for 300+ as they're more forged than the other 1.8Ts...
Yeah it's an AGU
I no when you remap it the dash goes all goolagy think the ttrs dials sort that out
Doesn't the ko4 need a custom plate ?? I had a Leon cupra (AUQ) 180 bhp had the stage one map when I wanted stage two I was gunni go ko4 but forge told me the ko3s that was in mine was better and wouldn't need the plate adapting ??
(28-11-2012, 08:31 PM)sam Wrote: [ -> ]I no when you remap it the dash goes all goolagy think the ttrs dials sort that out

They do what sorry?

(28-11-2012, 08:32 PM)Jukie88 Wrote: [ -> ]Doesn't the ko4 need a custom plate ?? I had a Leon cupra (AUQ) 180 bhp had the stage one map when I wanted stage two I was gunni go ko4 but forge told me the ko3s that was in mine was better and wouldn't need the plate adapting ??

Yes, needs an adapter or a new manifold. The K04 isn't worth it over the K03S as it's much more laggy and can only offer around 30bhp more. If you're going for power, like I said, big turbo is the way to go.

After he's bought my wheels.
(28-11-2012, 09:09 PM)Curt Wrote: [ -> ]
(28-11-2012, 08:31 PM)sam Wrote: [ -> ]I no when you remap it the dash goes all goolagy think the ttrs dials sort that out

They do what sorry?

(28-11-2012, 08:32 PM)Jukie88 Wrote: [ -> ]Doesn't the ko4 need a custom plate ?? I had a Leon cupra (AUQ) 180 bhp had the stage one map when I wanted stage two I was gunni go ko4 but forge told me the ko3s that was in mine was better and wouldn't need the plate adapting ??

Yes, needs an adapter or a new manifold. The K04 isn't worth it over the K03S as it's much more laggy and can only offer around 30bhp more. If you're going for power, like I said, big turbo is the way to go.

After he's bought my wheels.

The K03s can put out decent power yes but the K04 can put out the same power with much less struggle.
The only real deciding factor is of course the money - the K03 is pretty much a straight swap but you'll be straining the turbo going for the 260-80 region.

As you said, big turbo is the way to go - the T3 seems a popular choice it's easy to find manifolds that actually work unlike the K04 manifolds that overheat and crack, and actually require a strategic dent with a hammer to make them fit.

I'm just looking for the right one to come up - really tempted to try out the one I linked in my first post.

As for the dashboard, mine is fine..
I'm not talking about power - I'm talking about delivery. The K03S will never put out 280... you'll struggle to get that out of a K04. Max on a K03S will be around the 240 region. But, it'll be much more drivebale and much less laggy. The K03 is a straight swap of course - it's the same turbo as you have now but with a different compressor. There is in fact no such thing as a "K03S", it's just a later type of K03 that's been given that nick name. Be wary of turbos that get called that but aren't, some of the 180bhp cars have a normal K03 with a different actuator.

K03S was the way I was going to go, it'll still be a quick car.

As was mine, I don't know what Sam means.
Pages: 1 2