306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Are you really out of fuel when you run out of fuel?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone ever wondered how much fuel is left in your tank when you run out of fuel?

No

Well I did so after suing the lift pump to pump all my lovely V power into scotts car till it stopped pumping I dropped the tank and poured the remaining petrol into a nearly empty (had about 1.5L left in it veg bottle.

Well it filled that bottle

And then almost brimmed a 5l jerry can too

So now you know, when your car dies through lack of fuel, theres actually about 2 gallons left in there.
well thats a completely pointless thing to work out. There maybe fuel in there but if its below the bottom of the pump pick up, its not going to work is it!
Not really Niall. Think of all the weight you'd save by getting rid of that fuel store...
You say that but its 2 gallons of fuel your never gonna use and also people moan about picking up shit from the bottom of the tank well its spread across 2 gallons of fuel it aint alot. the fuel that came out the bottom of my tank was perfectly clean.
Was the car on a slant? higher side being the drivers?

I find an easy way to drain car is to remove the lift pump and drop a spare fuel pump into the tank, easy and not spilling
Sweet, i'll have the rest from the jerry can when I come over then Tongue
(05-11-2012, 07:45 PM)Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Sweet, i'll have the rest from the jerry can when I come over then Tongue

Good luck, it's bonfire night and Dum-Dum is mental enough to start a huge fire with it!
(05-11-2012, 07:40 PM)Fozzy Wrote: [ -> ]Was the car on a slant? higher side being the drivers?

I find an easy way to drain car is to remove the lift pump and drop a spare fuel pump into the tank, easy and not spilling
Nope it was dead flat on 4 axle stands

(05-11-2012, 07:45 PM)Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Sweet, i'll have the rest from the jerry can when I come over then Tongue
You paid for the fuel in the tank mate, its not in the tank anymore so it aint yours Smile

(05-11-2012, 07:49 PM)c.a.r. Wrote: [ -> ]Good luck, it's bonfire night and Dum-Dum is mental enough to start a huge fire with it!
Well I was going to mix it with veg to thin that down but now you mention it..............
The last gallon of diesel in the golf tank was rank! All sorts floating in it, mud, grass, hair etc! Confused

you actually bought the fuel from his car? you realise now your prone to "reversing" at 15mph into a bollard!
Did you pump it stationary?

If you had been driving it around bends etc, you will find it would have sucked most of that up due to the middle tank part of the tank doing its job...hard to emtpy any tank while stood still even if on the level...
(05-11-2012, 07:55 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Sweet, i'll have the rest from the jerry can when I come over then Tongue
You paid for the fuel in the tank mate, its not in the tank anymore so it aint yours Smile
Yeah but you removed it from the tank...