306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Laptop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Righto guys,

Rather than hijack the other chaps thread, I thought I'd start my own!!

My old faithful laptop has done me well for a long time yet. Basically though, it's now slow as feck, missing keys, the battery lasts 4 secs if you unplug the charger, the keys require battering to register a keystroke these days. Oh and the charger only provides power if wedged in a certain way (I think i pulled the solder off the board when I kicked the cable a while back...

So basically,

I internets a LOT. (forum/youtube/tabbing the SHIT out of firefox!)
I likes musiq.
I need plenty of storage for Go Pro videos.

I had been looking at Ultrabooks... Are they to be avoided?

Budget limit is about £700-800, recommend me a taplop!
Vaio <3

To be honest I got me E-series Vaio for £300 last year and it's been brilliant. Powerful enough to run Photoshop alongside other applications and true HD with HDMI out. 320Gb HDD, i3, 4Gb RAM, been more than plenty for me and it feels really well put together too. Still get 3-4 hours battery even a year later. Absolutely love it tbh.

With the budget you've got you'll be able to get a shit hot one, could even look at spec'ing your own with the likes of Dell?
Avoid compaq! Girlfriend has one and keys are dropping faster than flies, same with my sisters one.

Check out novatech or ebuyer for good priced new ones, hp was prety cheap with good spec when i bought mine but the build quality is to be desired.
Housemate just bought refurbed macbook air for about your budget, which is same price for other ultrabooks with same or lower spec.
You could build a well specced HTPC for that money, hook it up to the TV, use it for gaming and watching things on your tv. Job done.
Htpc? I assume you mean a tower? If so I don't want to have a desktop really, it'd have to go in the office and I cba with that I like being able to forum it up whilst mazz is watching x factor in the evenings but also be able to take it places...
Compaq are a load of shite, tbh my experience of dell hasn't been much better.
(27-10-2012, 09:09 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: [ -> ]Htpc? I assume you mean a tower? If so I don't want to have a desktop really, it'd have to go in the office and I cba with that I like being able to forum it up whilst mazz is watching x factor in the evenings but also be able to take it places...
HTPC = Home Theatre PC Wink

If you want to use it while Mazz is watching gay tv shows then yeah fair point. Are you planning on playing any games? If not then there are some pretty nice UltraBooks about for under £600.
Nah not into games that much tbh. I have Cs 1.6 on my old computer and solid works and is virtual environment and mathcad, only the first 2 really smash the graphics part... But tbh I'd probably delete everything else off my old computer and put it on the new one so those programs could run As fast as possible!

Link me to some!
My old Compaq presario CQ61 notebook is nearly 4 yrs old now and the only faults I've ever had with it are the battery died so I replaced it with a heavy duty one and a few wks ago the mains transformer died so got a new oem one off eBay for £12 posted.
In that time I'd say its been on and doing stuff for more than half the time I've owned it as its always running downloads in the background even when I'm out or asleep, its on.
This is my third hp/compaq computer, the first an office based small format desktop which my folks now have connected to their tv and the NAS box and the other was a dual core tower with media center and removable hard drive caddy that my ex wife is probably still using.
In 7 yrs I've never had a problem with HP/compaq so won't be changing to another brand until this one lets me down.
Tbh all modern laptops are built like crap, sadly its just a thing of modern age...

But from expierance, cheap dells laptops are UTTER crap..totally avoid....expensive dell laptops are very good, I rate...

HP/toshiba/compaq are all much of a like, seem to be fairly good, but all suffer from similer issues like wifi cards going bad, screens connections going bad, hinges breaking and keyboards dying, but some of that is cheap to fix...

If you want a reliable laptop, I tend to find any of the buisness line stuff works well, so stuff that isnt shiny / shown off to much, just reliable buisness workstation kinda thing, hp make them etc, they seem to be a bit more robust / last better..

But either way, laptops are gay and always break, decent desky ftw, but cant understand your circumstances...
Ultrabooks are nice i've been on the look out recently, hard to find a decent one with a useful screen size for under a grand though.

Most of the cheaper ones are 13" which is too small imo.
See I'd rather a smaller one so its more portable. Cba with a desktop sized laptop!
Mac book

End of
I'm not an apple bumder so basically no. Apple can f*ck off, any other suggestions considered! Lol Tongue
Actually for that price range a mac book isn't a bad shout. Mine is still going 5 years on, easily worth the initial cost. Anyway, will send over some others later
(28-10-2012, 10:26 AM)Jonny b Wrote: [ -> ]Mac book

End of

This. Makes so much sense. Apple bummer or not, they out last most and are fapping good Wink
only thing i can say is make certain its NOT got windows 8 on it. it sucks donkey dick imo
(28-10-2012, 10:26 AM)Jonny b Wrote: [ -> ]Mac book

End of

Exactly this!
Hardware wise, they are probably the best built out of most of this sony or dell shite that everyone seems to rave about, Dont have to worry about windows now which is so outdated its unreal (unless you go for windows 8.....ive heard thats good lmao ) And they look pretty awesome!

Oh and if you do decide to man up and make the right choice, let me know. I get a fairly good discount in the apple store on their gear thanks to work Smile
Right.

Well I'm off to PC World in a bit to have a look at some 'pewters, I'll let you know what's floated my boat on my return!

So with apple... I have a sheeyiteload of stuff on my old windows laptop; can this be chucked straight onto the mac? Also, are there not compatibility issues with some programs? And do i therefore have to dual-boot with a version of windows?

Niall I'll be ringing you shortly. Mostly to discuss your likening me to Jimmy Saville last night, but also to do with your discount!
(28-10-2012, 11:39 AM)Ed Doe Wrote: [ -> ]Right.

Well I'm off to PC World in a bit to have a look at some 'pewters, I'll let you know what's floated my boat on my return!

So with apple... I have a sheeyiteload of stuff on my old windows laptop; can this be chucked straight onto the mac? Also, are there not compatibility issues with some programs? And do i therefore have to dual-boot with a version of windows?

Niall I'll be ringing you shortly. Mostly to discuss your likening me to Jimmy Saville last night, but also to do with your discount!

Yeah give me a bell bud but in answer to your questions, its all good on a mac. There really not that hard to use if your scared of not knowing. Easier than a windows computer. And any software you might need that you havent got me and scott can help you with! (just might have to learn itallian if you want me copy of photoshop!)
FLOL! I'll be callin in a bit then for sure haha!
You could dual boot if you really wanted but there would be no need. Smile
(28-10-2012, 11:44 AM)Ed Doe Wrote: [ -> ]FLOL! I'll be callin in a bit then for sure haha!

If you want to come and look at mine, you can pop up to me if you like? Can have a proper play then. then theres a pc world just up the road if you want to look at something else.
Ha ha thought you wasn't an apple bumder lol

Fecking sheep

Tbh they are awsome though
(28-10-2012, 12:31 PM)Jonny b Wrote: [ -> ]Ha ha thought you wasn't an apple bumder lol

Fecking sheep

Tbh they are awsome though

Havent got to ba an apple bumder to realise they make good computer....

But secretly i am anyway haha
Ha ha tbh I hated iPhones and the like!! Till I got one and I just like em! They look good, they work well for what I want, and they are built well
Exactly this. iPhone's are spot on for what I do. Never had a real problem. Sometimes mine freezes but thats purely down to the chronic amounts of apps/games/messages as I've filled the memory up.
Right WARNING MASSIVE U-TURN BELOW!!!

I want this one.......

[attachment=3221]
(28-10-2012, 01:54 PM)Jonny b Wrote: [ -> ]Ha ha tbh I hated iPhones and the like!! Till I got one and I just like em! They look good, they work well for what I want, and they are built well

Same here. I was well against the apple way until my old man got a macbook. Used it for 30 seconds and decided i needed one!

Oh and ed, knew we would turn you Tongue you have pm!
Ha ha ha ha

Welcome to the dark side ed lol
Pages: 1 2