306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Gigler
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
heh, heh, alllrighhhhht

http://gigler.co.uk/

Fantastic news! You can get Gigler

Gigidy f*cking-gooo

/thread

I will now officially be the internet.
Quote:We’re sorry but there is not a Pure Fibre Network in your area so we can’t offer you Gigler Fibre just yet.

Poor show. Nospeak
Not in my area either Undecided

I'll be stealing yours though.
(27-10-2012, 05:02 PM)Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Not in my area either Undecided

I'll be stealing yours though.

Nop be neither
None here... Sad
Interesting, and how many people do you think have the technology in their home PC's to fully utilised these speeds?

I'm more curious about the network infrastructure. Pure fibre networks are f*cking expensive. Splice a fibre? Tool needed for that is circa £15k plus months of training to do a repair. Rejoin a copper coax cable? 5 minutes training and £30 for the tools. Hmm..
Chris I'm sure you'll be able to explain why I'm wrong or why this doesn't make sense, but if there is already a FTTC infrastructure (e.g. being used by BT or Virgin), surely they could then just make sure they have set up a FTTH link? They must just be reselling from an existing network. Thinking about it if they're offering 500mbit upstream then that's significantly different from what any other supplier is offering at the moment, though that may be just because they don't think there would be demand for it.

It's definitely got to be geared towards power users though...the sort of people that have gigabit ethernet wired into their house and go through hundreds of GB per month. *ahem*
ORLY?

Q. Help! I don’t think I’m getting a Gig

Gigler gives everyone 1Gbps of download speeds (that’s 1000Mbps). Frustratingly though, 1 Gig is so fast, that much of the rest of the web cant keep up. This means you are unlikely to be able to see a full 1Gbps if you run a speed test.

There are a few things that will reduce your speeds, but none of them are down to your Gigler connection.

The speed of the websites you access (this includes speedtest websites which are not designed to test speeds as fast as Gigler Fibre)
Your computer’s network card and processor
The power of the router you use and whether you’re on WiFi (WiFi can reduce your speeds to 100Mbps).
The software on your computer (things like antivirus can slow things right down)
To get the highest possible speeds you need to be plugged into the ONT or router directly by Ethernet cable.

Remember though that even if you aren’t seeing a full Gig, you’ll still be going faster than any other home in the country!

....soooo.. yeah, advertise ZOMG GIGABIT BROADBAND?! (PS you wont get that, like ever. but yer GIGABITZEZ!)

(27-10-2012, 09:42 PM)Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Chris I'm sure you'll be able to explain why I'm wrong or why this doesn't make sense, but if there is already a FTTC infrastructure (e.g. being used by BT or Virgin), surely they could then just make sure they have set up a FTTH link? They must just be reselling from an existing network. Thinking about it if they're offering 500mbit upstream then that's significantly different from what any other supplier is offering at the moment, though that may be just because they don't think there would be demand for it.

It's definitely got to be geared towards power users though...the sort of people that have gigabit ethernet wired into their house and go through hundreds of GB per month. *ahem*

Look at it this way Scott. Nobody owns the fibre network that forms the backbone of ALL telecomms in the UK. It's shared. Gigler will be using that, noone would have such a daft business plan as to lay their own fibres everywhere, that's just throwing money down the drain.

The bandwidth they'll be leasing will be capped to an extent so it'll be very hard financially to support the network on a large scale and keep costs to the consumer down. Network maintenance will cost a fortune too, any repairs to cable etc when you look at the tooling involved will be astronomically expensive. A truck rollout with Virgin costs just over £200 for a service call and that's on the apparently inadequate HFC hardware. Throw fibre in the mix and boom, hello expensiveness.

Don't get me wrong, everything WILL go fibre one day. It's just not needed for 99.9% of the population though, especially when HFC will support 500Mbps comfortably with adequate servers and UBR's.

That combined with the fact that very few people have equipment capable of the supposed Gigabit download speed says it all. Especially when speed test sites can't cope, and an FTP file transfer will be capped by the server at the other end.

A customer's speed will be, for want of a better word, unlimited, because there will be a bottleneck somewhere down the line, just not necessarily the ISP causing it.