306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: FML - Knew This Would Happen!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The reason I don't touch brakes....

They've been wd40d for 4 days now.....

Drivers side nipple has already been mashed, anything I put on it has no purchase at all -

[attachment=3053]

Managed to loosen of the pass side front and rear ok with a lot of patience.

Got to drivers rear and barely any force at all this happened! Sad

[attachment=3054]

[attachment=3055]

Sad

Don't know what to do know. Undecided can I drive it like that? Not entirely sure how the nipples work but there's no fluid coming out.

Wish I hadn't bothered now.....there's a reason I worry about stuff going wrong....because it always bloody does!

Any advice on what to do about it would be appreciated.

Tom
That's fine to drive Tom. I drove my old one like that for months. Time to either get a decent set of calipers or drill them out and put new nipples in. You can also bleed them from the brake lines but that's far from ideal for you.
Hammer a torx bit into the hole that should get it out, you'll need to buy new ones though, obviously.. You can drive around aslong as you have brake pressure.
Take the calliper off and drill it out and fit a new nipple or take it of and get a garage to do it
New nipples are only a couple of quid on ebay, just drill the remains of the old one and re tap the hole.
No wonder you arnt getting no where using DIY'ers WD40 if youd of used somthing decent like a branded penetraition oil. Durex play dosnt work BTW . They may have actualy got somewhere
So you're sure I'm ok to drive it yeah? Well at least that's a start lol.

I've got a feeling the brake hose ends are gonna be just as difficult to get out though, they're rusty as hell too!

How much do you reckon the garage would charge to replace all brake hoses, the two f*cked nipples and bleed everything after?

I removed the golf rears yesterday and bent one of the solid pipes so don't really wanna do that to the 306!

Jamie it wasn't even all wd lol, some was 'shock and unlock' as halfords don't sell plusgas.
Bahaha

Well that brings back sore memories.

Horrible, horrible things. I much prefer playing with lady nipples.
As long as you have pressure, it'll be fine to drive Smile

Get some decent penetration oil on the brake hoses, even if you take it to a garage, it'll make the job easier and therefore cheaper!

And just go and ask the garage, explain the situation to them. They don't charge for quotes :Lol:
Fine to drive, provided it didnt move, its just as sealed now as before you started Smile
Ah ok, pretty sure it didn't move, if it had there wouldn't have been a problem lol.

And the garage don't give proper quotes jonny, 'depends how long it takes'. Rolleyes
(18-10-2012, 12:34 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]And the garage don't give proper quotes jonny, 'depends how long it takes'. Rolleyes

Go to a decent garage then, because that's a load of shit. Any garage should be able to give you a quote and I'd never let anyone touch my car without getting one...
(18-10-2012, 01:50 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-10-2012, 12:34 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]And the garage don't give proper quotes jonny, 'depends how long it takes'. Rolleyes

Go to a decent garage then, because that's a load of shit. Any garage should be able to give you a quote and I'd never let anyone touch my car without getting one...

Northerner is speaking sense. A garage will estimate the time it will take them and quote on that. The ones that say "it takes as long as it takes" are just out to screw you over!
Of course they screw you over, they've got a captive audience and can charge what they like, theyre the only garage down here!!......£45 an hour labour I think!!

But I do know the guys there so they 'try and do it as cheap as possible'...... As I said though, they're the only one down here so not much choice tbh.
I did the same when bleeding the system after changing my front brake hoses. Have spare calipers but cba to change so bought new nipples first and am gonna give it a bash tomorrow. Been on the car for a long time and it's been standing a good while so guess it was inevitable.
Try the penetration from the 3in1 oils rang. Seems pretty effective on torsion bars IMO. So some stiff nipples (giggity) should be fairly easy

Oh and they sell it in halfords Big Grin
Plus gas is the best penetrating fluid I have ever used, never let me down yet. +1 on the hammering a torx bit in! Worked for me
In15 years of French car ownership I have never snapped a nipple !!!

Use a socket rather than a spanner

And I ain't being funny mate but I think with your DIY skills you should steer clear of working on brakes!!!

£45 an hour isn't a bad price we charge around the £100 mark at work!!!

And you don't have to use the garage in your own village you can go further afield
Bit harsh mate, how's he supposed to learn how to work on cars if he gets lambasted for trying and getting it wrong?

If I didn't start by making mistakes a few years ago i'd never have been able to do what I do now. He's ballsed up, he'll get it fixed properly and he'll learn from his mistakes...
(18-10-2012, 07:33 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: [ -> ]Bit harsh mate, how's he supposed to learn how to work on cars if he gets lambasted for trying and getting it wrong?

If I didn't start by making mistakes a few years ago i'd never have been able to do what I do now. He's ballsed up, he'll get it fixed properly and he'll learn from his mistakes...

This. Only one way to learn and thats to just do it. And if you f*ck it up, you learn how to fix it*
Providing hes got a knowledge of how the system works and understands that if its leaking, it could cause failure, then theres no problem.

*(this does not apply to sky diving....i wouldnt suggest doing that if you dont know what your doing)
(18-10-2012, 07:33 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: [ -> ]Bit harsh mate, how's he supposed to learn how to work on cars if he gets lambasted for trying and getting it wrong?

Just look back over his threads, nothing seems to go right when he works on a car

And to be honest brakes are best left to those with skills,as they are what stop you from going In to the back of another car or a tree etc.

Niall, as above I do t think he does understand the brake system by the way he isn't sure if it's safe to drive with the snapped nipple.

Yep we all make mistakes and have to learn, but after a number of mistakes most people would give up or get proper guidance
Yes but how do you get those skills? Not everything can be taught in a classroom. At least he's had the sense to come on here and ask if it's safe.

I also have bad luck working on my car, does that mean I should leave it alone too? I'm not a mechanic, everything i've learned has been from experience
The brake systems on these are very simple! And we all have to start somewhere and you learn by making mistakes. As said, providing he realises what is dangerous and whats not, all is good. At the moment its still safe and he could still bleed it (although not ideally) and leave the nipples snapped off.
(18-10-2012, 07:42 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]The brake systems on these are very simple! And we all have to start somewhere and you learn by making mistakes. As said, providing he realises what is dangerous and whats not, all is good. At the moment its still safe and he could still bleed it (although not ideally) and leave the nipples snapped off.

Mine's even simpler. No ABS ftw!
oh and learning in a classroom is one thing chris but generally you only really start learning when your out there doing it! IMO anyway.

ive had a lot of bad luck as well...rebuilt my 1.8 engine 3 times because of f*ck ups but i certainly learnt a hell of a lot in the 2 weeks. more than i ever would of done sitting on the internet reading about it.
I now consider myself a guru in wheel spacers, static suspension and tyre stretching. All self taught. ninja
(18-10-2012, 07:46 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: [ -> ]I now consider myself a guru in wheel spacers, static suspension and tyre stretching. All self taught. ninja

And headgaskets and radweld?
No, Holts Wondarweld, eurgh makes me feel sick just thinking about the stuff!

What a way to learn how to do a timing belt, cylinder head and headgasket change. 200 miles from home with work at 8am the next day. Pressure? Ha.
haha yeah i never ever wanted to do a belt on a XU after all the horror stories. f*cking pro at them now after the amount of times i had to have mine on and off.

BTW im told 'hard and fast' is great for blocking up holes in water pump housings that you make if you forget the spacer under the head bolt......so im told
I don't think Tom does much worse than anyone else new to mechanics, he just moans about it so much more it looks a lot worse than it is lol.

As said above Tom, find a decent garage bud, the "we'll try to do it as cheap as possible" line is to draw you in to thinking they're a mate - they're not, they're rip-off merchants. And get some decent breaking fluid, another vote here for plusgas.
Pages: 1 2