306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Recommend me some tools
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My toolbox got nicked Sad

Whilst working on my car, one of my toolboxes got stolen when I briefly went inside to make a brew. It was a Sealey box with a ratchet driver and set of sockets, cost me £25ish.

I need something similar, but don't want the same thing again as the quality wasn't wonderful.

I'm not minted, my spare money is going towards moving out but this is urgent - my backup ratchet driver beheaded itself earlier in the week rendering it useless (don't ask).

Is there anything anyone can think of? This is what I had before -

[Image: AK6493.jpg]
If you can fork £90ish out I literally cannot fault the Halfords kit that most of us have, absolutely epic kit with lifetime warranty, trade will get it to £90 odd but its normally on sale anyway
Halfords do a similar kit, advanced range iirc. Fapping good. Lost one of mine so bought another it's that good haha
I know - that's what I'm going to ask for for Xmas. I just need a cheap set for now, around the £20-30 range which can stand some abuse. I notice there is a set from Teng Tools on eBay at present for about £38, worth a punt?...
Halfords is pretty good for tools, especially if you have a trade card.

Just a brief look on there site and I found this, £10 off at the mo.

Halfords Professional 36 piece 1/4" Socket Set - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/store...zone=PDPz1

Life time warrenty on their proffesional range as well by the way, and they are pretty good with it, just take in your recipt and the broken piece and they replace there and then.
I think we have a winner. I have to pass Halfords on the way home...
have a look on Amazon, i noticed oh hell let me find a link . .Big Grin . .seem to have some good deals . .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c...Caps%2C166
You can get a lot of tools for your money on there. Like that blue spot 52 piece one for £11, but I'd say its worth spending a bit more for the halfords quality and warrantee
Not currently available for pickup in Stevenage Halfords, bummer!

I think I'll still get that one on your recommendations. Is it worth going in anyway just in case their website isn't updated fast enough? What do we reckon...
Give them a ring?
Only 1/4" though, you can't do much besides interior trim and fixings in the engine bay with 1/4"... Teng do a lush 3/8ths set, great quality tools, will last a lifetime if treated well... Halfords just aren't as good ad they used to be, they used to be awesome back in the days of the Professional range, the new Advanced stuff is a bit shit IMHO... 3/8" will do you most engine stuff, a lot of the suspension, you really only need 1/2 for brake bolts, some seized suspension stuff etc...
(16-10-2012, 08:31 AM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]Halfords is pretty good for tools, especially if you have a trade card.

Just a brief look on there site and I found this, £10 off at the mo.

Halfords Professional 36 piece 1/4" Socket Set - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/store...zone=PDPz1

Life time warrenty on their proffesional range as well by the way, and they are pretty good with it, just take in your recipt and the broken piece and they replace there and then.

Exactly the set I was mentioning. Bloody brilliant. Done a fair bit with that kit Smile
I hear you buddy.

I have several different tool 'sets' but I'm not very good at keeping everything together so all of them have bits missing.

I have a half-inch set for major suspension work, but recently lost the breaker bar and short extension, so it's pretty useless unless used in combination with my wheel breaker bar which is also half-inch. Basically I end up making up a tool from various different sets, a bastardization of toolkits if you will, just to undo one bolt.

I'm tempted to just get the Halfords kit purely because of the warranty thing. Has anyone ever had to return anything under warranty from them?
Grant got his 1/4 Rachel replaced at the weekend. Afaik straight swap no questions asked
Dan took in a few broken torx sockets etc and they replaced them straight away, didn't even ask for the reciept. Would advice you keep the reciept though because I think they are supposed to ask for it.
I have a cheap halfords tool kit that they still sell for like £15, looks crap, but the only thing I've managed to break in 3 years is the screwdriver bit holder (turns out they dont take well to being hit with hammers, bends the metal clip inside!)

Anyway, I always keep that one in the car and can do most stuff with it, its only 1/4" I think but its damn good for the money. I also have a bigger halfords pro socket set BUT I wish I'd got the proper big one now as theres parts in the bigger one like rather spanners that I really could do with now. Tbh I still use the smaller one for most things, and tthe smaller bits fit the smaller torque wrench that I have too. Smile

Wait, its a tenner now!!! Might get myself another one then, almost cheaper than replacing the bit holder and the 2 missing torx bits I lost at Sams lol! lol

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/store...yId_255215
there are loads of cheap nasty tool on ebay! youll find what you want there

often find cheap halfords stuff on there anyway Smile
Teng or bluepoint hav always done me well but they ant the cheapest in the world, 2b fair the halfords expert range is alright from wat I hear
I picked up a job lot of over 300 sockets ratchets and extensions off eBay for like £32 inc delivery - in that lot were quite a few duplicates so it doesn't matter if I break any and also there were some draper expert, Halfords professional, Gedore, britool stuff and there were loads of different extension bars and 3/8 drive ratchets.
I can knock up a set of 3/8 drive for like £10(£14 posted) if you don't want to blow loads of money this side of Xmas with a couple of extensions and if anyone is missing any sockets from their sets give me a shout as I've got hundreds - literally in all drives up to 1'
Teng are great, haven't broken one yet, which is more than i can say for my halfords set; less than a year in and 3 bits down... The fact i can get them replaced for free isn't the point, it's a pita having to go to halfords halfway through a job.
If you can get an old Halfords pro set second hand then thats probably your best bet cos as ruan says the pro is definitely better than the advanced
as in people?? let me get started

hahaha joking Big Grin
Halfords advance/pro , as stupid as it sounds halfrouds tool rang has got pretty good in the last few years, i have a set for the scrap yard, as all my other stuff is on rails in my box,

My set has served my well and iv aboused the shit out of it and never broke anything, and even if i do they will replace it so how can you go wrong?

This cant steer you wrong surly? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/store...zone=PDPz1

Or if your feeling flush this is a bloody good set for the price and is 50% off at the mo, And you get alot for your cash in this this set IMO
As everyones said, Halfords gear is spot on for the money..I've only ever managed to snap one bit in the 4 years I've had it!
Recommended tools... Mattcheese, Toms306, SRowell... there's three to get you started :p

(16-10-2012, 09:03 AM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]Grant got his 1/4 Rachel replaced at the weekend. Afaik straight swap no questions asked

I also had my 1/4" Rachel replaced, I broke my last one as she wasn't very flexible...

I have nothing really useful to add, other than I have a Halfords set and can't fault it.
(16-10-2012, 06:12 PM)burnmw Wrote: [ -> ]Recommended tools... Mattcheese, Toms306, SRowell... there's three to get you started :p

(16-10-2012, 09:03 AM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]Grant got his 1/4 Rachel replaced at the weekend. Afaik straight swap no questions asked

I also had my 1/4" Rachel replaced, I broke my last one as she wasn't very flexible...

I have nothing really useful to add, other than I have a Halfords set and can't fault it.

just so you know i was going to do the exact same thing minus my name but i thought it was far too easy, so i left the gag for a pleb like you . .lmao

and how dare you group me with those two? . . . .Censored
(16-10-2012, 06:34 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: [ -> ]just so you know i was going to do the exact same thing minus my name but i thought it was far too easy, so i left the gag for a pleb like you . .lmao

Sorry, you were just the first three names that came to mind!
Another for Teng tools. My set was given to me by my dad and I believe it's over 15 years old now. Still working great!
(16-10-2012, 06:41 PM)burnmw Wrote: [ -> ]
(16-10-2012, 06:34 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: [ -> ]just so you know i was going to do the exact same thing minus my name but i thought it was far too easy, so i left the gag for a pleb like you . .lmao

Sorry, you were just the first three names that came to mind!

this isn't over . . . . . . . . .Dodgy
Pfft. Halfrords tools, I'm out of that phase and onto snap-on, who actually care when you break something!

Handy note with halfords stuff. You need to find a way to preserve your receipt, because they fade after years.

I'm at a stage where I have got 2 or even 3 of everything and I could go on forever about all those extra tools that a) you don't get in a kit and b) probably can't find anywhere but I have a garage to run, you just fiddle with cars.
Pages: 1 2