306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Exhaust manifold questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
2 questions really. Firstly, where is the exhaust manifold heatshield fixed to the body/ engine and second question, is it really needed? I'm fitting my gti6 manifold next weekend so would like to know if I need to bother with a heat shield.

Cheers
why dont you heat wrap it whilst its off the car, it would be better Big Grin
ohhhh could you do a guide for this? I was thinking of maybe getting one for my 1.8 too and would really appreciate a guide on how to do it! Is it a straight fit onto the 1.8 centre section or do you need to have a full gti exhaust system?
SRowell Wrote:ohhhh could you do a guide for this? I was thinking of maybe getting one for my 1.8 too and would really appreciate a guide on how to do it! Is it a straight fit onto the 1.8 centre section or do you need to have a full gti exhaust system?

Need a '6 cat too and either a '6/xsi mid and back iirc
I was going to do a guide mate don't worry.

I'm a bit sceptical about heat wrapping. Ive heard some pretty nasty stories where it hasn't been don't properly or a small defect in the wrap has caused a massive fire.
Would rather just stick to the factory method or not at all!

Oh and all you need is the gti6 cat. Rest of the exhaust is fine!
I'd say so, the manifold literally sits up near the brake lines to make it equal length, it does get bloody hot.

If you buy DECENT wrap it'll be fine, the crap stuff just falls off, but if you get some of the stuff from rallynuts or wherever, or even get some of the ceramic spray paint, to try and keep the heat in, it'll help, those gti6 manifolds increase under bay temperatures massively, lots of surface area and lots of heat = boo Sad

[Image: GTi-6022.jpg]

See how high the far runners sit, to make room, they sit right up by the brake lines, lots of surface area in comparison to the XS/XSi Manis.
Tbh I didn't really know of a decent wrap as its not something that is talked about or used regularly. The biggest issue I have heard of is wrap breaking up on the edges causing extremely hot points and before you know it, it's up in flames. Wether these stories were due to a genuine problem with the wrap or just the owners inability to use it is anyone's guess!
I haven't really looked at ceramic coating as I've heard that's it's very expensive. Will look into it a bit later I suppose.

Oh and nice engine!
You could always just get it sent away to Zircotec or similar and get it coated, IIRC it's about £60 for a manifold - which isn't bad, considering with heat wrap you have to DIY and it's a right faff, and the wrap isn't cheap.

AND you can get the Zircotec done in loads of epic colours...
I like that idea. I thought coating was extremely expensive But if it's that price, I will get it done. Looks good in a copper orange as well!
I may be wrong on that pricing, but IIRC it was about that mark...
Heat wrap FTW

[Image: P1010323.jpg]
Didn't fit it in the end. Ran out of time but I think I will fit one when the head is off.
dammit so when i fit i need to get a heat shield too as the xsi doesnt have one Sad
Think im gonna get mine and the de-cat ceramic coated
Matt Wrote:dammit so when i fit i need to get a heat shield too as the xsi doesnt have one Sad

Wrap it mate. Easier. Just make sure you do it properly!
Just use heat wrap! It's quality!
But I don't want the fire risk with the hotspots that are mentioned. What wrap should I get as I see tones of the stuff in eBay lol
I will check what make I used, it's top quality the stuff I used was over £20 for two rolls.
Awesome, get a link up mate Smile
Matt the DEI stuff is very good. I was worried about the fire risk but if it's done properly, it should be fine!
Matt I think ceramic coating is going to be under £60. Im gonna get my manifold and de-cat done
Zircotec ceramic coatings http://www.zircotec.com/page/home/1

Says it reduces the surface temp of your exhaust by ~33%
I've found out.

It's not £60.

Nor is it £160.

Wouldn't get much change from £260.
Heat wrap ftw!
Ruan Wrote:I've found out.

It's not £60.

Nor is it £160.

Wouldn't get much change from £260.

This. I emailed them when I was going to fit mine. So glad I didn't get it coated lol