306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Heater Matrix Removal - Quick question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Evening all,

Removing my heater matrix to replace, and have hit a stumbling block.

How do you go about sliding the pipes through the bulk head? Have removed the pipes from the engine bay side (thankfully without breaking them!), but now can't pull the whole heater matrix back through towards the inside of the car. It all seems a bit tight, and like its not meant to be pulled through. Can they be disconnected or something? I dont want to force it and break it

Also, on a 1.9DT (air con) am I looking at replacing it with a BEHR?

Thanks all,
Do you mean the bit that's like a big rubber bung with 2 pipe connectors on it?
Yer, sounds like it. The 'female' end of the whole assembly. Does this need to be removed to get the old matrix out?
BHER is correct for A/C models, Just cut the ends off the old matrix so it can be taken out easy with out removing the grommet, To get the new one in cut the rubber between the pipes and put some silicone grease on it
As above don't bother taking the grommet out it's an absolute bitch to get out, and even worse to fit it back in properly.
Understand cutting the pipes, but can you explain 'cutting between the pipes and put silicone grease on it'
So cut the pipe at the connection, the bung has around 4-5cm of pipe I think I've got a picture of mine. Cut that and then before connecting the new pipes use sillicone grease as it preserves the rubber, and using it means the pipes wont expand or 'deflate', it keeps them constant (what you want when theres hot and cold coolant running through them).
Think Im with you. Cut the old pipes, and pull these through to remove, and the lubricate the new ones and push the through the gromit
(06-09-2012, 09:46 PM)VR46 Wrote: [ -> ]Think Im with you. Cut the old pipes, and pull these through to remove, and the lubricate the new ones and push the through the gromit

The grommet acts as 2 pipes in itself, to bridge the gap in the bulkhead. So the pipes are either side, but your essentially right yeah.
Think I'm a little confused. From what I can work out, the gromit stays, and the pipes from each side sit in? Almost acts as an adaptor? Its the cutting and rejoing sequence that has me stumped. It seems like the should 'push fit' into the adaptor from the interior side?

Sorry to be a pain :S
(06-09-2012, 09:54 PM)VR46 Wrote: [ -> ]Think I'm a little confused. From what I can work out, the gromit stays, and the pipes from each side sit in? Almost acts as an adaptor? Its the cutting and rejoing sequence that has me stumped. It seems like the should 'push fit' into the adaptor from the interior side?

Sorry to be a pain :S

Yeah that's exactly right, like an adaptor.
I think I've got some pictures from doing my matrix so I'll try and find them for you.
Thankyou. I'd appreciate that
http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=78999

This guide should help you, I turned to that when I got stuck.
Was using this one as a guide. He simply says 'wiggle them and they should come out'

Seen the link to the Rallye one at the bottom and theres a picture there where he seems to have pulled the lot through!

[attachment=2463]
My advice is dont take that grommet out of the bulkhead, its a bitch to get back in. instead cut the pipes flush with it on the outside to the matrix car be removed from the grommet leaving it in place, then take a Stanley knife and cut the grommet between the pipes

[Image: Cutmatrixgrommetr.png]

Slit the red line so that the new matrix can be refitted easy
When i changed my matrix i just undone the two gold bolts in that picture and used the old plastic bit and bolted my new matrix to it and i had no issues and was alot easyer than messing around with the grommit exc.
Nobody knew about cutting that red line till I started broadcasting it. My claim to fame.

I'm the dappa-don of f'kin matrix's... 3 hours job done Big Grin
Thanks KrisB, it was you that told me how to do it