306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Steering judder - PAS pump?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right,
After a week with the car I'm bringing back memories of the 306s wonderful ability to adjust on throttle and it's love for oversteer. Perhaps more concerning is the apparent steering issue the HDi seems to have...

It's hard to describe and difficult to make it even occur, but basically when I drive 'ambitiously' or turn in with an armful of lock the steering kind of 'judders' in my hands. Nothing drastic, but you can hear a slight knocking not dissimilar to abs kicking in. Now there's also a chirping noise coming from the pump, so it is possible that it's on it's way out. I also looked at the fluid and it looks to be jet-black, like used engine oil! Shouldn't pas fluid be red?

I'm gonna have a crack at first changing the fluid, does anyone have a guide on how to do it?

I've also read that it could be suspension top mounts. What is the procedure for checking them also?
Take the aux belt off and check for play. Sounds like pump has shat its self to me.
But the 'chirping' noise from the pump only happens occasionally, not constantly. More often than not once the engine is warm too, if that makes any difference.

I know someone who can get a PAS pump in the post for me today if needed, do you think it's something worth having? Is the pump 'serviceable' ie can I re-grease the bearings on one? Because the brand new price is basically £ra*e.99
Sounds like it could be a number of things, first off just because the pump is only now and again means nothing i had one like that on my old DT and i thought it would be on untill i saw it in my rear view bouncing down the road followed by a trail off steamin oil lol

but yeah could be wish bone bushes, top mounts, cv's, shafts, rack etc. you need to get it up in the air wheels off and give everything a wiggle, and check for loose bolts aswell
Seals in the PAS system going, sounds like someone's put the wrong stuff in and it's wrecked the seals in the pump. The chirping will be the belt slipping on the pump since it's probably taking a bit more oomph to turn over the pump....

Though admittedly, I ran my PAS system on engine oil for years, I find it actually makes it just a bit heavier, gives you loads more steering feel vs it being over assisted...