306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: got an old computer lying about?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Turn it into a NAS (Network Attached Storage).

A while back i picked an old computer off the street, its a P4 2 GHz with 768 MB ram in it. Was going to throw it out but remembered seeing a video on youtube about FreeNAS. So I knew I had a 500GB IDE drive about the house, found that and slapped it in with the 40GB that was in there, burnt the iso to disc and within 10 mins i was able to get to the web interface after installing the software on the old computer. It took about an hour to set the settings and work permissions out as I hadn't ever done anything like this before. It seems fairly quick at transferring data (2GB file in about 15 mins) so will be used as a file dump. The only settings I had to change on the computer were in the BIOS setup so the computer wouldn't halt on no keyboard error as in its current configuration you power it on and leave it to do its thing, if it needs to be shut down that can be done through the web interface.

If anyones interested the iso is here http://sourceforge.net/projects/freenas/...o/download and theres videos from the FreeNAS team here http://www.youtube.com/user/FreeNASTeam/videos
ill give it a go soon! ive got loads of spare computers.... but theyre all too noisy to leave running all the time! D:
Just binned two vista running towers, one was quad core... Currently at the bottom of a skip on my drive...
Nice one Steve. Definitely a good idea. Personally I just installed debian or another flavour of Linux on them and use them as a Web server along with ftp and file storage. Got around 3tb in one at the moment, plus another 2 1tb drives which also are network storage, then another 1tb in external drives ninja

Still bloody run out of space though lol
Jj go save it! I'll have it if you don't want it Wink
There's not a chance in hell im sifting through this to get it..

[Image: f15dccd2.jpg]
I thought you were good at selling shit Jordan....why the hell do you need a skip!? Tongue
That came out of here..

[Image: 6061890a.jpg]

Still need to get the scrap man to take that moped & all the boxes down the right... Lol
Hmm, thats nothing compared to the shit I'm still trying to clear since my grandad passed (its a year now!). We've had two large skips, I've made over £350 in scrap, and made countless trips to dump............and i've not even finished clearing outside yet, then theres the inside and the loft to do as well lol.

Also, theres a reel of cable in your skip, if theres any more, it's worth a fair bit down the scrappers atm. Wink
That reel of red cable is a tin of red caliper paint Wink no cable there I'm afraid!
(13-07-2012, 08:38 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: [ -> ]That reel of red cable is a tin of red caliper paint Wink no cable there I'm afraid!

Oh right haha, my phone screens too small then, or I shoulda gone to specsavers lol.
What moped is that mate wana give it me so i can make sumin with it Smile
I use an old Xbox running Xebian. Was a Fiddly little bugger to get working, and needs a few mods but it works well Smile
fancy painting my calipers jj? Wink
(13-07-2012, 09:32 AM)R45_ODV Wrote: [ -> ]What moped is that mate wana give it me so i can make sumin with it Smile

Come collect it it's yours, engine case is cracked, no bodywork & it's scrapped on the log book lol
my mate is trying to get me back into ict. i have a propper full size ATX server style cased pc that i have running windows 2003 off when i used to mcps at college. i think i mite and make a hcp pc out of a spare cube pc i have with the f*cked psu.
(13-07-2012, 01:46 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: [ -> ]
(13-07-2012, 09:32 AM)R45_ODV Wrote: [ -> ]What moped is that mate wana give it me so i can make sumin with it Smile

Come collect it it's yours, engine case is cracked, no bodywork & it's scrapped on the log book lol

Dam if it was a running id of came n got it and bolted the engine to a ketler go cart with proper wheels i have and made a oc club ketlerped Smile
Made one years ago but we used a ketler go kart with plastic wheels at the front it was fun but couldnt turn corners Smile
I bought a 4tb nasdrive for £210 delivered as it had to be small in size and quiet - oh yeah and being $hit with puterz meant I had no chance of building my own lol
(13-07-2012, 08:11 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: [ -> ]Just binned two vista running towers, one was quad core... Currently at the bottom of a skip on my drive...

wait what.... why would you scrap a quad core?

I was thinking this, my old CB250 Superdream field bike is f*cked from 5 years abuse round the quarry near me, and I don't like to pay for field bikes lol