306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: its dead...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So my battery light flickers on and off but mainly stays off.
battery is now completely flat so I'm guessing alternator? but when I turn the car off the light goes off aswell
Perished/split alternator belt if I was you rather than going straight out and buying a new alternator etc I'd check the condition of the belt along with the tension of it the belt itself shouldn't have any more than about 10mm slack either way if it's more than that try tightening it and take it for a run see what you get you could use a multimeter and see what voltage you're getting at the alternator which should be between 14v and 15v IIRC just find the positive wire and touch it with the positive probe and use the cylinder head to get your ground...Could just be a simple thing so get fault finding first!
(02-07-2012, 12:47 PM)InkedMuttley Wrote: [ -> ]Perished/split alternator belt if I was you rather than going straight out and buying a new alternator etc I'd check the condition of the belt along with the tension of it the belt itself shouldn't have any more than about 10mm slack either way if it's more than that try tightening it and take it for a run see what you get you could use a multimeter and see what voltage you're getting at the alternator which should be between 14v and 15v IIRC just find the positive wire and touch it with the positive probe and use the cylinder head to get your ground...Could just be a simple thing so get fault finding first!

Cheers mate will do!
dec if you want my alternator £20 mate