306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: bmw minis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
they are crap to drive compaired to the 306. my mums got a lend of my aunties. my auntie gave me the job of fitting new window screan side trims. easy enough to do. but driving the car onto the drive, its no where near as good as the 306. infact my metro is better to drive even tho it hasnt got power sisted steering.
plus the rear seats on the metro and 306 are miles better than the mini too.
better off if the mini was a 2 seater, but cheep to race tho.
i cannot see why one of the lads rave on about them as hes had 3 and just bought his 4th one.
So by driving a car onto a driveway, that gave you all the insight you needed to form an opinion of them? Wow...
There crap. They go round corners ok but arnt that fast (even the S ones are dead slow) and parts are horrendous. The misses mum has one and she asked me to get a price for new discs and pads up front. £190! Dread to think of the BMW price. Oh and they have separate wear indicators that have to be replaced with the pads. How f*cking stupid!
(29-06-2012, 02:28 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]There crap. They go round corners ok but arnt that fast (even the S ones are dead slow) and parts are horrendous. The misses mum has one and she asked me to get a price for new discs and pads up front. £190! Dread to think of the BMW price. Oh and they have separate wear indicators that have to be replaced with the pads. How f*cking stupid!

we had the job of getting discs and pads for it too last year while it was on loan to me mum. the rear callopers ( spelling) on both sides had to replaced, as they had both wouldnt wind back in.
exhaust i think is one piece too or something.

(29-06-2012, 02:24 PM)Connor Wrote: [ -> ]So by driving a car onto a driveway, that gave you all the insight you needed to form an opinion of them? Wow...

1st time i have been behind the wheel of it connor, and iam compairing it to the 306.
The Cooper S I got to drive was immense.

Seriously, thinking about it, it's probably one of the best equipped hatch-backs currently on sale, it's only downfall being that it looks gay as feck and has one of the silliest interiors known.

Independant rear suspension, 1.6 supercharged lump up front, if it had a different bodyshell it would be very desireable. They're very capable cars guys, don't let their image cloud your judgement.

A Cooper S was just as quick on a slip road as my old Celica 190 whilst probably doing better MPG!
Its crap because its not a proper mini its a bmw :/ old school mini for the win Smile
Original minis are quite cool (not my cup of tea) but the new ones are shit. And there going well over the top with all the different types. The 4x4 and coupe ones look shockingly bad!
This is very simple, its not a Mini, the point was that the original mini was small, this isn't at all small in any way, in actual fact they are pretty damn big for what they are, they look shit, they have the generic, overly hard seats like all German cars and massively over assisted everything like all new cars...........
The joy of the original mini was how simple it was. i had a 1275 engine and it was amazing. the best thing i've ever driven!
old minis are cool, new minis are a right giggle to drive, the "cooper s" is the same performance as a gti6 and in the hands of the right driver will give one the run a round.
(29-06-2012, 07:09 PM)tsotd Wrote: [ -> ]old minis are cool, new minis are a right giggle to drive, the "cooper s" is the same performance as a gti6 and in the hands of the right driver will give one the run a round.

Wow, bold claim there mate, dont let any GTi owners read that Nospeak But id have to agree, I quite like them and although they wont ever be as cool as an original mini they are pretty good and a hoot to drive.
I couldn't live with whine from the electric rack. Lady across the road has one, can hear it from my room haha
(29-06-2012, 07:50 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]I couldn't live with whine from the electric rack. Lady across the road has one, can hear it from my room haha

Errrrmm..........

Thats the supercharger! lmao

Also, the cooper s doesn't go too bad at all. Fkin love the supercharger whine. Not to my taste though,

Most of you probably haven't even properly driven one, so how can you possibly comment!?
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee weeeeeeeeee weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

It's a very annoying noise indeed, shame most new cars are the same now. Not that much though, as I don't like new cars.

I have to agree that you can't judge how a car drives by moving it onto a drive.

Also, it's a BMW Medium.
We need a company that just reproduces the old cars... so new 306s and new original minis! Big Grin
(29-06-2012, 09:09 PM)n0v0s Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-06-2012, 07:50 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]I couldn't live with whine from the electric rack. Lady across the road has one, can hear it from my room haha

Errrrmm..........

Also, the cooper s doesn't go too bad at all. Fkin love the supercharger whine. Not to my taste though,

Most of you probably haven't even properly driven one, so how can you possibly comment!?

No it really is the power steering, last time I checked the mini One didn't have a charger and they whine like f*ck when parking too, its possibly the loudest power steering pump ever fitted to a car! Listen next time you see someone parking one.............................
^ahh I automatically assumed this was about the cooper s model. Wouldn't touch a one tbh
sorry but they are not quick!
my ex had a cooper s and it was good fun car to drive and pokey but no where near as quick as I was expecting, this was me driving it not her, had a proper rag down coast roads to newquay maybe 40 miles there and back,
I was smiling but not amazed

but more to the point they are NOT minis!! love real minis, and will have one one day
Actually matts right. The super charger on the S is disappointingly quiet even under full chat. The electric racks on these whine like a bitch on every model from dervs to the bog standard one.
Oh and they like to catch fire a lot!
(29-06-2012, 09:14 PM)SRowell Wrote: [ -> ]We need a company that just reproduces the old cars... so new 306s and new original minis! Big Grin

Never gonna happen.......proper minis could never meet the ncap safety shit for todays cars lol....

Or the euro 6 emmisions!

But tbf.....how many of us would spend 15k on a brand new top spec 306 anyway...... :think:
(29-06-2012, 09:09 PM)n0v0s Wrote: [ -> ]

Errrrmm..........

Actually no I was right. It's the rack, annoying as f*ck and would never want to own one

(29-06-2012, 09:14 PM)SRowell Wrote: [ -> ]We need a company that just reproduces the old cars... so new 306s and new original minis! Big Grin

There is a company that will build you a brand new old school mini. My mate was talking about it because we want to build one up and. Hes been researching

(29-06-2012, 09:38 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Actually matts right. The super charger on the S is disappointingly quiet even under full chat. The electric racks on these whine like a bitch on every model from dervs to the bog standard one.
Oh and they like to catch fire a lot!

I'm always right Big Grin
i think they look shit, but i drove one around for a while a few years back, that was a derv, and i thought it was great fun thru the twisties in scotland. pretty comfy...ish, gearbox was always a bit weird tho, pretty clunky...

id never own one, but i did enjoy driving it