306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Is it a scam?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay story is my dad doesn't want his car anymore and seeing as I used to dabble with buying and selling he left it to me to sell so little old me sticks his truck up for sale for £3,800 on Scumtree and gets a text earlier asking the condition etc and to respond via EMAIL. So I did and gets these ditties back:

Russell *****
12:31 AM (1 hour ago)

to ************
Hi replying to your message regarding the Terrano I have for sale. First of all the condition of the truck is very good there is a deep scratch on the passenger side but other than that it is in fantastic condition as for the price on my ad it states £3,800 OVNO so with regards to that feel free to make me an offer all I can say is no so go ahead!

Secondly if you could call me with an offer that would be much appreciated as I work long hours and don't get the chance to get on the computer much. Either that or email me your telephone number and name and I will contact yourself.

Thanks in advance.

1:26 AM (26 minutes ago)

to me
Ok just wanted to make sure nothing is been left out.
I will be purchasing this for £4000. Payment will be sent using PayPal
and i will handle the PayPal surcharge as well. I will arrange with
someone to have this picked up for your location once i have paid as i
am out of town at the moment.In the meantime, can you send me more
pictures (if available)?
Regards,

I believe in all honesty tis a scam, though my dad doesn't!

What's your opinions?
I would say Definatly a scam. Offering you more money for a start? And saying someone else will pick it up? Best bet is to google it!

Edit: look - http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtop...26&t=21447
Scam mate he will claim the money back thru paypal after he has picked the car up!!!

DO NOT GET PAID FOR IT THRU PAYPAL YOU WILL LOSE THE CAR AND THE MONEY
well as soon as its been transferred empty the paypal account! lol good luck to him then Tongue
It will put ur paypal in -£4000 and they will chase you for the £4000 thats if you manage to get the money out in time Smile

By all means take a small deposit thru paypal say £50 to £100 then the rest cash on collection Smile
Yeh that's what I said to my dad but he thinks it's genuine just been on the phone to local plod and they have confirmed it is a scam and it's going around the country at the minute...I'm naturally suspicious as I have had people try to dupe me before so I know what I think 99.9% of the time is right no wonder it earned the nickname "Scumtree" lmao!

Back to the drawing board...Anybody wanna buy a 2003 '52' plate Nissan Terrano SVE lmao!
Read the link I posted, it explains exactly what would happen
What's the name/email? I'm sure we can find who he is whistle
Definatley sounds like a scam. Don't do it!
Definitely a scam. Got upwards of 20 of these with an identical storyline when selling my old 306
Yep I got loads when I sold my Saab. If you send back agreeing, I bet he says he lives in another country and he will be sending either a family member or a courier to collect. Definitely 100% a scam.
(19-06-2012, 07:43 AM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Yep I got loads when I sold my Saab. If you send back agreeing, I bet he says he lives in another country and he will be sending either a family member or a courier to collect. Definitely 100% a scam.

You need to get the seller to verify who they are by sending a photo of themselves holding a sign saying "I live for the 306" no?

I heard the buyer's relative was in 20% health and needed a terrano to make her in 30% health....?

No?

No one?
lmao

This could turn epic.
Definitely a scam! People send cheques arrange to have the car sent abroad and then cancel the cheque!
Yeah definitely sounds like a scam
+1 for the baiting! Hahha
Could have some awesome fun with this guy! Keep him on the hook I say !
Friend had this when trying to sell his PC, a person from Africa wanted to buy it but would have to send a courier because he worked on an oil rig
Send him a message back sayin that is fine, but the price has increased to

One billion dollars, in a dr evil voice

And I guarantee they will agree, and ask for payment details
Haha
(19-06-2012, 09:46 AM)Grant Wrote: [ -> ]Send him a message back sayin that is fine, but the price has increased to

One billion dollars, in a dr evil voice

And I guarantee they will agree, and ask for payment details
Haha

ugandan dollars? :p
I had about ten emails on the same day saying they were highly interested but they worked on an oil rig, haha
You always get these via piston heads. Just keep stringing them along lol
(19-06-2012, 10:51 AM)puglove Wrote: [ -> ]You always get these via piston heads. Just keep stringing them along lol

Yeh I did keep stringing him along even got as far as getting an email with "Her" phone number to be greeted by the sound of an Asian bloke who I got talking to and then asked if Mary Webber was there "oh yes, yes she is..." my reply "Well can I speak to her then only it's her that is supposed to be buying the car" and got "Oh sorry ring back at 5pm as I can't find her" my reply "But you just said she was there!" *CUE LONG PAUSE FROM OTHER END*

"Sorry I can't hear you, bye bye!" phone goes dead...I ring back again to be met with what sounded like the same bloke putting on a woman's voice!

"Oh you phone with Terrano yes? I like to buy £4,000 right now by paypal.co.uk"

"YOU MUST THINK I CAME OVER ON A f*cking BANANA BOAT I HAVE BOTH OF YOUR NUMBERS, YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AND BECAUSE YOU'VE BEEN ON THE PHONE CHATTING NICELY TO ME THE POLICEMAN STOOD BY MY SIDE NOW HAS YOUR EXACT LOCATION AND ARE SENDING LOCAL PLOD"

Phone went dead and it's been turned off since LMFAO!

If anybody gets a message from webbermary58@gmail.com tell them I said hello!
In all honesty if you have a mobile number, report it to the police as it could well be registered in someone's actual name, and even if nothing comes from it, the fact that they've been investigated for fraud by police might give them a wake up call to stop being such a c***
Good man.

Bit off topic but heres a diary of one of these scammers getting beat at his own game and just shows how epic community's like this can be.

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/
(19-06-2012, 09:55 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Good man.

Bit off topic but heres a diary of one of these scammers getting beat at his own game and just shows how epic community's like this can be.

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

That was a brilliant read !!
Haha that was epic, if we could do something like that it'd be so win......
webbermary58@gmail.com <<<<<< pretty surch thats one of the ones i got a mail from when selling my 6 going to check when i get home!