306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: I'm coming back to the 306!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been doing my finances recently, and the Skoda has to go. Much as it pisses me off, I actually love driving it, it's comfy, handles brilliantly, feels good quality, it's decent on fuel for what it is, it surprises people, and it's bloody fast...

Thing is, I have to be realistic. I didn't get a payrise this year at all because the company I work for decided that their staff shouldn't be rewarded for all their hard work because a payrise would look bad in the media, everything has become more expensive, my rent has gone up, and I want to buy my house. I've been looking at all kinds of diesel cars like VAG TDIs, but frankly if I'm gonna drive a diesel it may as well be a 306, at least that way I'm not stuck with an over-complicated VAG for double the price Hmm

So, as soon as I get back off holiday it's getting sorted. I'm gonna try find a dealer who'll do me a deal with a 306 (and probably have my pants down), and if I can't find a deal I can stomach I'm just gonna sort a couple of faults on the Skoda and bang it on eBay. A 306 diesel will probably save me 100-150 a month in fuel and insurance, which is important right now :roll:

Pity really, I always thought I'd have another 306, but I wanted a GTI :nope:
Buy a DTurbo, save £150 per month, buy a 6 in 6 months time and keep it as a summer car whistle
Sounds like a brilliant plan, you may as well get a dtub Bosch and see your fuel bill fall massivly
I've only ever had phase 1s so I'm quite tempted by a phase 3 HDI. I'm hoping once I've got things stabilised I'll be able to have a second car, would have to be classic insurance though...

205 GTI ninja
But Bosch and veg, 90 ppl and 50mpg is win
4WayDiablo Wrote:But Bosch and veg, 90 ppl and 50mpg is win

its just soo good. If you have the opportunity do it!
Just fancy a change to phase 1s mate, plus decent phase 1s seem to be a bit thin on the ground these days...
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4161" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4161</a><!-- l -->
tim 306td Wrote:http://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4161

Looks good mate, but I'd need to sell the Octavia first, and I like doing the mods myself...

Unless you fancy an Octavia lol
insurance would ra*e me lol
tim 306td Wrote:insurance would ra*e me lol

Partially why I'm getting rid mate Wink
IMO. Buy a Ph2 and turn it into a Ph3 that way you still have the ph3 looks but with the mechanical engine!
It's what I would do in your situation,

( well I tell a lie... I'd MTFU and buy another ph1) but you know what I mean Smile
Toxic-Jake Wrote:IMO. Buy a Ph2 and turn it into a Ph3 that way you still have the ph3 looks but with the mechanical engine!
It's what I would do in your situation,

( well I tell a lie... I'd MTFU and buy another ph1) but you know what I mean Smile

Just fancy a change mate. As you can probably tell from my car history, I like to change my car from time to time lol
liam just buy a smart car thats it, you havent wanted one of those yet i dont think.
procta Wrote:liam just buy a metro thats it, you havent wanted one of those yet i dont think.

I'll never want one of those mate...
Hmm, I know why you're doing it liam, as I've really been considering it myself, but its 6 of one or half a dozen of the other I think. I either get a much slower car which is cheaper on insurance, but costs more to fuel and tax....or keep the car that's averaging 63mpg atm, with twice the stock hdi power, and only only 115 a year to tax.....BUT costs fecking loads to insure, just seems like you can't win really. Sad The funny thing is, for its lack of power, the nad costs almost the same to fuel (few pence in it over a tank) and more to tax. lol so its gonna have to go soon.........fancy a NAD liam? Wink
I'd rather set fire to my man bits, but thanks for the offer Wink

And sorry Tom, I forgot how perfect your Golf is in every way. You really should talk about it a bit more often y'know lol
lol damn, will have to find some really gullible desperate person to sell it to then. :think:

well it hasn't crept into many threads lately lol its not perfect by any means....I even said its biggest downfall is insurance price lol. Tongue

Well that and parts price of course......if it breaks again I'll sell it straight away, cheaper than fixing it. lol
Toms306 Wrote:lol damn, will have to find some really gullible desperate person to sell it to then. :think:

well it hasn't crept into many threads lately lol its not perfect by any means....I even said its biggest downfall is insurance price lol. Tongue

Well that and parts price of course......if it breaks again I'll sell it straight away, cheaper than fixing it. lol

High insurance is a small price to pay for a car that can leave a 20VT for dead while averaging 120mpg round town.... lol
THE_Liam Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:lol damn, will have to find some really gullible desperate person to sell it to then. :think:

High insurance is a small price to pay for a car that can leave a 20VT for dead while averaging 120mpg round town.... lol

Well now who's exaggerating Tongue. Unless that's a challenge.... :think:

Edit - but seriously....ive been keeping an eye on ebay and autotrader for the last month or so and I really can't find anything that's as cheap to run or as well specced for 2k....regardless of power. Confusedhock:
To be honest Tom, I'd love to put my car against yours on a track, you wouldn't even get close. Maybe you could hang on to me 30-70, but accelerating out of bends, and past 80mph, no chance Wink

You really need to accept this. You have around the same power, around the same weight, with half the power band, twice the lag and far more gearchanges. Not to mention wallowy TDI suspension...
THE_Liam Wrote:To be honest Tom, I'd love to put my car against yours on a track, you wouldn't even get close. Maybe you could hang on to me 30-70, but accelerating out of bends, and past 80mph, no chance Wink

You really need to accept this. You have around the same power, around the same weight, with half the power band, twice the lag and far more gearchanges. Not to mention wallowy TDI suspension...

I have GT suspension on this one from a 150. Tongue

But I didn't mention that at all.....cheapness to run (which is what I need atm) is better than things like 1.0saxos or 1.25 fiestas. And I'm pretty sure neither of those have cruise control or climate control lol. As I'm sure you know after the billions of cars you've had, its not all about power.....its about the car as a whole. Smile

Plus you've got years more experience so are probably a better driver than me anyway, I wouldn't be any good on track, I'd spend too much time trying to save mpg. lol

But how often do you track driving in real life anyway? Lots of mid range torque overtakes yeah, and fast cornering without braking first (no need to speed up if you haven't slowed down).....and that's why I couldn't justify petrol over diesel....even though on track or on a drag strip the petrol would win hands down.....well, it wouldn't on an endurance track because it'd spend twice as long being refuelled but you know what I mean. Tongue
I need to learn to save fuel really. Thing is (old man time), when I started driving about 7 years ago mpg wasn't really an issue, with petrol at around 85p a litre, so I never really learnt to save it because it wasn't dear...

I miss those days Sad
THE_Liam Wrote:I need to learn to save fuel really. Thing is (old man time), when I started driving about 7 years ago mpg wasn't really an issue, with petrol at around 85p a litre, so I never really learnt to save it because it wasn't dear...

I miss those days Sad

It was only a pound a litre when I started in '09....

Tbh, driving for economy isn't hard, I pretty much drive carefully or on cruise control most of the time these days, its all about momentum......until I get bored or road rage haha.....but I find a few good overtakes in a journey is just as fun as doing as the whole thing ar 100mph but uses a lot less fuel. lol

It's also much more economical to overtake slow people and stick to around 45 or 50 than it is stuck behind them when they can't keep a constant speed and are between 25 and 35 all the time (pike a lot if old people on my road!). Only problem with that is it takes off so quickly (when you eventually hit boost) you end up doing 80 through the 40 limit by accident. Especially if I've just been the driving the nad. lol
Problem I have is the surge of power when the 20VT comes on boost, it's proper addictive. You wouldn't believe how fast it will go from 50mph to xxxmph in 4th Big Grin
THE_Liam Wrote:Problem I have is the surge of power when the 20VT comes on boost, it's proper addictive. You wouldn't believe how fast it will go from 50mph to xxxmph in 4th Big Grin

Well I'm guessing it'll pass 125mph (on the clocks) with ease....as mine was still pulling there in 6th trying out the new turbo lol...but I ran out of balls before it ran out of power. lol

Must admit though, diesel boost for me is nowhere near as good as petrol revs....I mean yeah its reasonably quick....but its not addictive like bwarp and cam is! :think: I get bored of flying through each gear too quick, needs more revs and noise lol.
Mine shouldn't be far off 150mph at the top end. It's long geared so it can feel a bit sluggish at below 50mph, but it pays off when you can sit doing 2k at 70mph. Not bad for a 5-speed really...
Bloody hell why does every thread always end up with like 2 pages of random posts by toms306 lol....
veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg veg

oh . . . . . did i mention veg? . . . . . .lol
darrenjlobb Wrote:Bloody hell why does every thread always end up with like 2 pages of random posts by toms306 lol....
coz we tolerate his off topic droning, where as the Vag sites don't . . :p
Pages: 1 2