306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: New 306 cab owner - Couple of things
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,
New 306 cab owner with a couple of questions.
1. Is there a recommended bulb upgrade for the headlights? Not overly happy with the standard ones.
2. Holding area for hood when down had water in it this morning. Looks like it has a drainage hole on the drivers side that could be blocked? Any tips on how to check this? 
3. Roof currently not working (Knew that when I bought it). Not sure i'm confident to try and source the issue, wonder if anyone knew of someone who could?

Other than that its ace Big Grin 
Thanks in advance
Sorry, can only help on Q2. Hopefully someone else can help with the others. There's a drain hole underneath the wiper motor, behind the shock mount. To clear it properly you may need to pull the wheel arch liner back as it sits behind the liner. There's one on the passenger side too. Usually leaves etc collect n block it. Definitely worth sorting as wiper motors don't like being submerged in water!
Oh, and welcome to the club!
Afraid the front scuttle area drains aren't going to affect the hood stowage area I don't think, although definitely worth checking that out as
well since if one end is blocked the other might be too.

I'd suggest getting a piece of stiff wire or bowden cable (bit of bike brake cable etc), and pushing that down through the drain hole you can see, or perhaps blowing a little compressed air down it if you have a compressor.

I assume it's a phase 1 or 2 cab you've got, since phase 3 headlamps are fantastic IMO. to be honest I'd just look out some phase 3 crystal headlamp units if the ones fitted are the single-optic H4 bulb type, as the twin-optic crystal ones are so much better. If you do stay with the original lamp units, just make sure the bulbs you have are a decent brand & the connections are all clean/tight. Not much point in (illegal) high wattage bulbs as without modding the wiring to add relays etc they'd likely be even worse than good quality 55w ones due to wiring not being up to the extra current draw.

Not sure on the roof issue, I'd have offered to look if we were closer but we live in Cheshire! Firstly, are you trying the roof with the engine OFF but ignition on? they won't work with the engine running. Assuming this, when you press the button can you hear the motor try to do anything?

And welcome by the way!
(28-08-2020, 12:07 PM)Mighty306 Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, can only help on Q2. Hopefully someone else can help with the others. There's a drain hole underneath the wiper motor, behind the shock mount. To clear it properly you may need to pull the wheel arch liner back as it sits behind the liner. There's one on the passenger side too. Usually leaves etc collect n block it. Definitely worth sorting as wiper motors don't like being submerged in water!
Thanks for the welcome. 
It is an odd one as I checked in the roof storage compartment just now and its dry so water is able to flow out, just maybe not fast enough in a deluge. I will investigate it. 
Cheers Smile

(29-08-2020, 06:59 PM)ekjdm14 Wrote: [ -> ]Afraid the front scuttle area drains aren't going to affect the hood stowage area I don't think, although definitely worth checking that out as
well since if one end is blocked the other might be too.

I'd suggest getting a piece of stiff wire or bowden cable (bit of bike brake cable etc), and pushing that down through the drain hole you can see, or perhaps blowing a little compressed air down it if you have a compressor.

I assume it's a phase 1 or 2 cab you've got, since phase 3 headlamps are fantastic IMO.  to be honest I'd just look out some phase 3 crystal headlamp units if the ones fitted are the single-optic H4 bulb type, as the twin-optic crystal ones are so much better.  If you do stay with the original lamp units, just make sure the bulbs you have are a decent brand & the connections are all clean/tight.  Not much point in (illegal) high wattage bulbs as without modding the wiring to add relays etc they'd likely be even worse than good quality 55w ones due to wiring not being up to the extra current draw.

Not sure on the roof issue, I'd have offered to look if we were closer but we live in Cheshire! Firstly, are you trying the roof with the engine OFF but ignition on?  they won't work with the engine running.  Assuming this, when you press the button can you hear the motor try to do anything?

And welcome by the way!
Thanks for the welcome Smile 
I will investigate the water thing. As i posted above it seems to drain away but might just need a bit of a clean out. 
Its an 02 plate phase 3 cab. Maybe I am being a bit fussy lights wise but they didn't seem amazing. I will do as you suggest and check the bulbs and connections. 
I'm trying with engine off but ignition on. I can't hear anything from the motor when pressing the button BUT with the ignition on I can't manually lift the hood cover. Turn the igniition off and I can...which is odd! 
Thanks for the tips Smile
I suppose our ideas of good/adequate/brilliant headlamps may be a ways apart lol, our usual ride (currently loaned to the inlaws) is an X1 Xantia & the headlamps on those are somewhat known for being glow-worm spec so my enthusiasm about the Ph3 lamps may not be in line with your experiences. They are though, a damn site better than the Ph2 ones and in general very acceptable so there could be some mileage in giving them a once-over.

When trying to fold the roof down, lift the front edge up by hand & then press the switch. Could be the elastic being old and stretched not letting the car sense that you've unclipped it ready to fold. Strange on the not being able to lift manually with ign. on, although it may be normal as I've not tried it (We've been super lucky with our roof, aside from the failing stitching round the back window it's all behaved pretty well with just a couple of loose bolts, a rattling catch & major de-mould/moss operation to worry about.)

How's the weather been down there over the weekend? It's been the first real chance to drive with the roof down for us lol, cold but at least dry!
Sorry, I told you totally the wrong thing about the drain hole ...had only quickly read your message. I thought you'd meant where the bonnet hinges locate!!!
(30-08-2020, 09:50 PM)ekjdm14 Wrote: [ -> ]I suppose our ideas of good/adequate/brilliant headlamps may be a ways apart lol, our usual ride (currently loaned to the inlaws) is an X1 Xantia & the headlamps on those are somewhat known for being glow-worm spec so my enthusiasm about the Ph3 lamps may not be in line with your experiences. They are though, a damn site better than the Ph2 ones and in general very acceptable so there could be some mileage in giving them a once-over.

When trying to fold the roof down, lift the front edge up by hand & then press the switch. Could be the elastic being old and stretched not letting the car sense that you've unclipped it ready to fold.  Strange on the not being able to lift manually with ign. on, although it may be normal as I've not tried it (We've been super lucky with our roof, aside from the failing stitching round the back window it's all behaved pretty well with just a couple of loose bolts, a rattling catch & major de-mould/moss operation to worry about.)

How's the weather been down there over the weekend? It's been the first real chance to drive with the roof down for us lol, cold but at least dry!

Ha could be! Although my dads 51 plate Honda CRV has awful dipped beam lights! Peugeot is definitely better than them. I will have a tinker. 

I will try that, thanks. I'm sure whatever it is should be fairly simple to resolve, just a gremlin. Speaking of gremlins, just had airbag light come on and flash at me while driving, out of no where, any ideas? 

Weather mixed, its ok here now but brisk northerly wind! Keeps me awake on the drive home from work.

Thanks again.
The headlamps on my 306 are adjustable btw, and may also be on your can. There may be two little dials on the dash, just to the right of the steering column. One adjusts the brightness of the dash lights & the other the angle of the headlight beam.