306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: 306 2.0 HDI has been running fine without coolant for months????
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Made an outrageous error. Thought my coolant light was a faulty screen wash light (i know, I did check the symbol, had it in my head it was screen wash so my eyes believed what they wanted to ) and ignored for months. Yet engine temperature never goes above 75-80 ? I've driven long and short journeys thousands of miles???? Lights been on for months, reservoir was empty when I looked after the garage had it. Ran it without coolant and checked temperature to check the garage hadn't just emptied it and were ripping me off.

Garage said today the fuel pump is leaking and needs replacing. Is it possible to get a year from it before scrapping, or is there not a cat in hells chance and I need to get rid? (800 quid of work needs doing, I took it in for a knackered wheel bearing)
The DW10's don't run that hot under normal conditions anyway.
However, the engine temp sensor is located at the top of the engine, screwed into the thermostat housing so it won't give you proper readings when it isn't touching any coolant.

An empty resevoir doesn't mean there is no coolant in the system at all, though it's certainly less than should be in it.

I'd say it depends on how much coolant you had to add and if you notice any performance loss, experience excessive smoking or soot from the exhaust or increased fuel consumption.
(10-10-2019, 05:49 PM)Charlie0 Wrote: [ -> ]Made an outrageous error. Thought my coolant light was a faulty screen wash light (i know, I did check the symbol, had it in my head it was screen wash so my eyes believed what they wanted to ) and ignored for months. Yet engine temperature never goes above 75-80 ? I've driven long and short journeys thousands of miles???? Lights been on for months, reservoir was empty when I looked after the garage had it. Ran it without coolant and checked temperature to check the garage hadn't just emptied it and were ripping me off.

Garage said today the fuel pump is leaking and needs replacing. Is it possible to get a year from it before scrapping, or is there not a cat in hells chance and I need to get rid? (800 quid of work needs doing, I took it in for a knackered wheel bearing)

Hah. A couple of months ago I stopped at the lights behind a 4x4. Whiile I was stationary, he reversed into me, at speed! He did not see me, and was reversing to do a 3 point turn. Wanker.
It put a big crease in the bonnet, broke the bonnet catch, bent the slam bar, broke the bumper, broke a fog lamp, broke a head light, bent and puntured the air con rad, bent and punctured the radiator, and broke one of the two coolings fans.

Anyway, the point is, I did not realise that it was leaking coolant, I was too shocked to notice. I drove around for a couple of days with little coolant in it. I completely ignored the warning light for some reason. It did not seem to affect the engine at all. I was amazed when I realised and came to my senses. As Fust says, the top may drain, but a lot can remain lower down.

Steve
Suggest you fill it up and see how you get on!