306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Rev counter not working anymore
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

Two weeks ago, the rev counter stopped working. I started the car, revs went up... and then down. I checkt the plugs at the back of the clocks and these are fine.

Anyone any suggestion what can cause this issue?

It is a phase 1 GTi6 (well, to be precise a phase 1 XSi with RFS fitted).
Have you check the circuit boards on the backs of the clocks for corrosion?

Mine didn't work and it was this. The area under the wiper motor fills with leaves and dirt, blocking a drain hole which lets lots of moisture in behind the dash. Clearing this out helps massively with condensation in the car.

You can remove your speedometer (with your correct mileage) and put it in a 2nd hand instrument cluster with a different rev counter on a ph.1 gti6 as this is what I had to do with mine.

It might not be your issue but worth a check.
The circuit board looked okay to me. I have a spare cluster that I can try. Stupid things are just so damn difficult to get out, even with steering wheel removed.

There are no leaves under the wiper motor. Cleaned that long time ago and ever since it was parked nowhere near trees Wink

Thanks for the suggestions by the way Smile
They're difficult to get out with the steering wheel in place. With it removed it just pulls almost straight out. Are you removing the steering cowling? That gives you more space if the wheel is removed.

It can be the physical rev counter that is broken as well as the cluster so try swapping your speedo into the whole new cluster and spare counter.
Update:

The rev counter started working again. No idea what caused it to be functional again, but I am happy Smile

What is also interesting is that the oil presure gauge is also working well now... although it is connected to the oil temperature sensor :p