306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Intermittent no start
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

Not a clue where to begin diagnosing the latest problem. Filled up my 1.4 99 Meridian last night, and when I put the keys in the ignition and turned it to the battery, my dials all went to maximum with most or all of the dash lights coming on. This much had happened the other day and I noted it. So I turned the key back and started again, this time getting no response whatsoever, no turning over, no battery or any kind of dashlight; just able to turn the key fully clockwise in the ignition without any response. After a few minutes of turning and effing, it started fine, with the dash lights and dials coming on normally and the engine beginning normally.

I have no idea what this could be and am struggling to explain it to find the answers elsewhere online, but I'm thinking it might be something to do with the ignition or starter motor?

Any knowledge would be gratefully received.

Thanks guys,
Harry.
Dials at max is usually a battery issue. If it's a decent battery, check the battery cables are tight and not frayed, especially the earth to the gearbox.
(15-08-2018, 10:51 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Dials at max is usually a battery issue.  If it's a decent battery, check the battery cables are tight and not frayed, especially the earth to the gearbox.

Thanks for that. I have checked the connections (seem fine) and sprayed with WD40 in case it's damp related, but have had trouble identifying the earth to gearbox? (Amateur alert). I did however check the voltage of the battery with a multimeter and that seems fine coming at over 12v. Car started without problem today (post-WD40) so I'm wondering if it was something as simple as that, or what else the problem could be?
What exactly was the battery reading?  Even at just a nudge over 12V a lead acid battery only has 50% charge.  A new battery at 100% charge should read over 12.6v.

I remember previous threads mentioning the same as Tom - that bad earths causing weird instrument cluster behaviour.
(15-08-2018, 05:01 PM)Pughawk Wrote: [ -> ]
(15-08-2018, 10:51 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Dials at max is usually a battery issue.  If it's a decent battery, check the battery cables are tight and not frayed, especially the earth to the gearbox.

Thanks for that. I have checked the connections (seem fine) and sprayed with WD40 in case it's damp related, but have had trouble identifying the earth to gearbox? (Amateur alert). I did however check the voltage of the battery with a multimeter and that seems fine coming at over 12v. Car started without problem today (post-WD40) so I'm wondering if it was something as simple as that, or what else the problem could be?

Battery Lead:

[attachment=31645]

From Top = Battery Negative, which leads to Gearbox Earth point, which leads to Body Earth Point.

Locations:

[attachment=31646]

Just need to start at the Negative terminal and follow it down underneath the Airbox / Filter Housing.
^ That was really helpful, thanks, the problem is no longer there too Smile