306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Fitting rear courtesy light to a car without.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Little guide for you all, if you do not have a rear courtesy light, DO NOT FEAR! . . . . . the cutaway and wiring are still present under the headlining . . . . . .

i only buy 5 door phase 1 306's as i have children, i have had 4 and none have ever had a rear courtesy light, i have been told that many models do have a light, if you were able to get a phase one light you could just cut a hole and plug it in, the phase 2/3 light that i fitted however has a different plug and requires re-wiring, anyway on with it.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

1: a courtesy light and outer trim (doh).

2. the plug it came with, leaving 6" of wire for splicing.

3. electrical tape.

4. a sharp blade, stanley, craft knife etc . . .

5. a pokey impliment, flat blade screwdriver is ideal.

we shall begin . . . . . .

1. First things first i blew a fuse doing this so please disconnect your battery Blush 

2. the centre of the cutaway for the light is almost exactly 5" in from the rear headlining trim, bang centre, you can find the centre line by looking at the boot lid inside, there are some little dimples along the metal to work off, so poke yourself a hole with your screwdriver in the middle see pic.

[attachment=30377]

[attachment=30378]

3. time to get working with your blade, just cut it out bit by bit starting in the middle, not quite all the way to the edges of the metal cutaway, leave it overhanging a bit, the light will squeese in and the outer trim make it all look neat and tidy,

[attachment=30379]

4. at this point you may struggle to pull the wiring out the recess as it may be taped up and looped back through a hole, i had to open the boot, pull the rubber weather seal off, get hold of the plastic trim you can now see and give it a tug all the way along, it will slide out about 1 inch, now it's out use your flat blade screwdriver to ping the metal clips off the trim, just get it underneath and a little twist of the wrist will set it free, do this all the way along, don't worry they will clip back fine, you can now pull the headlining down a little from the back and discover your light wiring!! Smile  do the reverse to put things back as they were.

[attachment=30380]

[attachment=30381]

5. ok . . . if it's the phase 2/3 light you're fitting like i did you will need to rewire it so time to strip off! . . . the outer wiring plastic i mean of course, take care, i always strip wire with a stanley, you may prefer a proper stripper whatever, just don't slice your fingers, you should be left with something like this . .

[attachment=30382]

6. time to wire this sucker up, i did the hard work here and it took me far longer than it should have to figure out what went where Big Grin no matter the wiring is as follows:

Colour: RED to RED . . . .  GREEN to GREEN . . . . . BLUE to LIGHT BROWN . . . . . WHITE to CREAM . . . . . (see pic to clarify)

PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO WRAP ALL WIRES PROPERLY WITH ELECTRICAL TAPE AFTER TWISTING TOGETHER! Smile

[attachment=30383]

7. simply slip the light trim into your freshly cut out headlining hole, it only fits one way, the two little plastic tabs should be folded up so the trim will fit in, they will then push out holding the trim in place when you push your light up in place, unless i've missed anything that should be job done, reconnect your battery and revel in your new rear interior courtesy light which should come on with the doors or on demand as you wish. tadaa . . 

[attachment=30384]

hope this was of use to you all, any questions please ask, as i was writing i realised i should have taken more pics, i still can if needed . .

Cheers, Matt . . . Smile
Good find Matthew. Thankyou for writing the guide.
No probs, done with the forum photo uploader, screw Photobucket! Big Grin
BODGETASTIC.

could have at least used crimps.
(02-08-2017, 09:26 AM)welshpug Wrote: [ -> ]BODGETASTIC.

yes you could if you like, but i well insulated them, they will outlive the car of that i have no doubt, if it was higher current and/or there was a chance of it moving i would have made it a bit prettier, as it is it's golden Smile

LIGHTEN UP  TMI
(02-08-2017, 11:02 AM)Eeyore Wrote: [ -> ]

LIGHTEN UP  TMI

to be fair i should have probably soldered them with pure gold and heat shrinked them with graphene, i'm fresh out at the moment Big Grin