306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: 1.9 Dturbo 205 vs pd mk2 golf
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

I finished my 205 restoration a year or so ago, full nut and bolt rebuild including engine.

I've now also just picked up a mk2 gti golf which I was thinking of doing a pd conversion, (200bhp-220bhp region)

I know I could slap a bigger turbo on my 1.9 and do the usual but I don't want to chuck a rod, nor do I want to do a forged build.

However the golf just doesn't handle as well as the 205.

Has anyone sat in a pd mk2 golf? How do they compare to a tuned xud?
Shouldn't need to do too much to a PD for a reliable 200-220bhp, it will keep costs fairly reasonable.
Personally I'd rather a 1.8T in a Mk2 Golf though, can image there'd be quite abit of Torque steer in a powerful PD engine'd Mk2.
I'd have the 205 in a heartbeat over a Golf .
Handling is greater than scene points or looks.
Ive had LOADS to do with pds and old golfs and lupos. I have friends that are that way inclined. Its not there fault they were born like it. Trust me when i say a mk2 golf handles far to poorly to actually deal with this well. A lot of people use the mk3 subframe rear axle setup to widen the track which works to an exent. However by the time youve spent all that money for a car to handle half as well as a 205 may as well of slapped some better rods in the 205 and job done. This is obviously a personal prefrence thing here. I used to own 2 mk2s as well. Never got on with them hence why i dont have them anymore.
Lets not also forget that the 205 is substantially lighter, the lower power will be made up for by lack of weight
Yeah defo keep the 205! Much more retro/cool and fun than adding another golf on the road! They are good cars the golfs, but just dont handle/drive that well.
My experience of this situation is old peugeots, 306's included, punch way above their weight and do way more than engine or power rating suggests. For example, 205 GTI6's munch modern stuff well into the 200BHP terrain, obviously due to weight. Also my old 309 V6 would bang into the limiter in 5th with just 200BHP/ft lb!

I'd hazard a guess a 160/70BHP 205 would go toe to toe with a 200BHP golf.

And if you are happy sticking a PD in a golf, stick a HDI in the 205, fairer comparison.
(11-07-2017, 02:13 PM)allye Wrote: [ -> ]My experience of this situation is old peugeots, 306's included, punch way above their weight and do way more than engine or power rating suggests. For example, 205 GTI6's munch modern stuff well into the 200BHP terrain, obviously due to weight. Also my old 309 V6 would bang into the limiter in 5th with just 200BHP/ft lb!

I'd hazard a guess a 160/70BHP 205 would go toe to toe with a 200BHP golf.

And if you are happy sticking a PD in a golf, stick an XUD in a 205, more fun. 

EFA.
Give me a HDI over a smokey old XUD aby day!
Give me spanners and hammers over computers any day. :-).

To each, their own.
Bloody hell, if you think a HDI is complicated stay clear of anything newer!
I do.
I drive a 24 year old Pajero.