306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: 2002 306, 1.6 Estate Alternator replacement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

I have a work horse Y reg 306 Estate (the 1.6 version) and need to replace the alternator, can anyone give me a brief rundown on the procedure or point me towards a guide or a video?

Cheers
Hi Paul.  Peugeot has a procedure for removing & resetting aux belt but not for alternator itself as far as I can see (it'll be obvious).  Procedures differ depending whether you have power steering or not.  Assuming a Y-reg will have PS as I think they started fitting it as standard after a certain date so that's what's below.  Change aux belt if hasn't been done recently.  Suggest you get a 306 Haynes manual off Fleabay - many available for less than £5.

[attachment=29668]

Adjustment square (1).
Setting hole (2).
Automatic tensioner (3).
Roller tensioner (4).

1. Removing
Remove the front right-hand wheel & wheel liner.

[attachment=29669]

Slacken the belt by moving the tensioner (3).
Peg the tensioner (3) with a 4 mm allen key.
N.B. : Mark the position of the bolts securing the tensioner to the engine.
Remove :

The automatic tensioner (3)

The accessories drive belt (/)

ESSENTIAL : Check that the rollers (4 ) and (5 ) turn freely (no play or tight spot).

2. Refitting

[attachment=29670]

Refit :

The accessories drive belt (/)

The tensioner (3) observing the position of the bolts which have previously coated with LOCTITE FRENETANCH

ESSENTIAL : Check that the belt is correctly fitted in the grooves of the different pulleys.
Tighten the tensioner securing bolts (3) to 20 Nm
Manoeuvre the tensioner (3) to detach the rod.
Using the spanner (6), move the tensioner (3) until the belt is tight.
Continue the fitting operations in the reverse order to removal.

Just realised.  Is it OK for me to post the above or have I just breached copyright or something?  Don't want to get the forum in trouble. Will delete if so.