306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: 1.4 making weird noises
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right so just bought a 306 the other day after wanting one for ages... the next day I start getting a weird noise. 

It's a rattling/knocking metallic-ish sound and I can't pinpoint where it's coming from. 

Only happens when I take my foot off the gas, when accelerating no noise, when clutch depressed or in neutral no noise. 

Also cannot replicate the noise when stand still just by revving the engine. Also the faster the cars moving the louder the noise. 

I know the back box has a huge hole in it but surely you it's not that if it's happening in gear only.  

Any advice welcome cos if I can't find the problem or it's an expensive fix it will have to go.  Sad Sad Sad
Im gonna say the diff is on its way out..

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
(06-04-2017, 10:06 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: [ -> ]Im gonna say the diff is on its way out..

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Thanks, but correct me if I'm wrong wouldn't the noise be constant irrespective of whether the clutch is depressed or not if it were the diff ?

But the noise disappears once the clutch is depressed.
You wouldn't have the load going through to keep the engine turning over so it would get a lot quieter. It's common for them to start making noise on the overrun before they shit themselves. Might be worth checking the gearbox oil though.

Also check the engine mounts over, especially the lower.
Did you ever find out the cause of your noise?