306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: 306 PAS steering rack ratios
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quick question: do all 306 PAS racks have the same ratio? I appreciate the Gti has less turns lock to lock because of the ram limiting travel, but if I fitted a gti rack to a 5 speed car with the 5 speed ram would I notice a difference?
Im also wondering this for the HDI as looking to upgrade to a VTS one possibly.
I dont believe there are any differences in the 306 range. Ive never heard of one anyway. The xsara VTS range has a 2.6 rack in the later models and 2.4 in the earlier however you will be hard pushed to find a 2.4 and when you do expect it to be £300. There are a few 2.6 ones about that seem to be £150 including lines.
Surely the gti/rallye due to the 6 speed box has a different lock to lock amount compared to the others? Im not sure, just guessing!
(22-02-2017, 10:40 PM)MY95 Wrote: [ -> ]Surely the gti/rallye due to the 6 speed box has a different lock to lock amount compared to the others? Im not sure, just guessing!

its different lock to lock only because it doesnt turn left as much. It has a spacer on the otherwise standard rack to stop the tyre hitting the end of the longer box. Fairly sure thats true!
Interesting stuff, thought there was something wrong with the power steering on the car tonight... then I remembered id just finished karting 5 mins ago lol
Ah that's disappointing! I'm not after ultra-quick steering, just something faster than a super-tanker
have a mk1 VTS rack fitted on the zx - its much improved over stock
There are a few 2.2 racks around which were made using a generic quaife rack bar and a HPC pinion, I had one but the guy I bought it from said they'd had at least 5 made that he knew of just to get numbers for the pinions.
(23-02-2017, 01:21 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: [ -> ]There are a few 2.2 racks around which were made using a generic quaife rack bar and a HPC pinion, I had one but the guy I bought it from said they'd had at least 5 made that he knew of just to get numbers for the pinions.

any more details on that?
To be honest I've never found another one yet for sale - they were built for some rally cars wanting faster steering - I assume before people found out about the VTS racks. The teeth are cut deeper on the rack to allow a bigger pinion gear. I do know some of the French lads are modifying 306 racks for TT cars though but I don't know if any of them are offering even faster versions.
Great bit of information there Rippthrough, sounds like if anyone could get their hands on one it would be big money, may as well just wait out for a MK1 VTS one which is close enough the same but a lot cheaper, problem is they are getting hard to find, and you only seem to see MK2 VTS ones for sale, but I cant imagine 0.2 of lock when your in the middle of 2 and 3 turns lock to lock would make a massively noticeable difference. Certainly not as much as if you were replacing a 306 one with either.
Xsara - 2.4 wheel turns lock to lock
306 - 3-3.1 turns lock to lock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8UuKcvE41k
306 rack is limited by the ram only, fit a 5 speed ram and you regain that lost 3rd of a turn roughly.
(23-02-2017, 02:40 PM)welshpug Wrote: [ -> ]306 rack is limited by the ram only, fit a 5 speed ram and you regain that lost 3rd of a turn roughly.

But it'll hit the end of the box. I fitted the 6 box to the 1.8. It wasn't really an issue. The tyre just took the paint off the end of the box