306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: rear drum hub oil seals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
checked rear brakes at the weekend;
both bearings open and just the flimsy rubber seal and a washer on the stub axle to seal them ???    used to seeing a proper lip type seal in a drum bearing.     

has anybody got any pictures of the hub seal set-up please ???
I have a pair of good quality New drum wheelbearing kits if your interested

[attachment=29317]
(01-01-2017, 11:40 AM)cully Wrote: [ -> ]I have a pair of good quality New drum wheelbearing kits if your interested

hi cully,

my bearings are ok, just that the oil seal is a shite design ?

how should it be assembled into the drum....or left on the stub axle as you push drum on ??
there's no oil in there to seal in, bearings have seals on them pre fitted, seal on the back is just a simple dust seal which sits on the collar, metal cap on the front after the nut is fitted and staked.

nothing wrong with the design, very long lasting bearings, particular arrangement has been in use for nigh on 35 years across various vehicles.
As above the bearing is a sealed unit, the other parts are just dust covers.
trust me, the rear of bearings are open on both wheels, I wanted to see how the dust seals fitted to keep them covered over.

I know wheel bearings are usually sealed so this threw me when I looked at my own....

hub oil seal/hub grease seal are fitted on many cars--tapped in after the wheel bearing has been put into the hub.
if the seal is missing then someone has been in messing before.

you only find a separate seal on taper bearings like a landrover. theres no need for one on the peugeot bearings.
the bearings in my kit are sealed bearings there is a second dust cover that fits on the inside of the drum on the axle
as per the drawing below Wink

[attachment=29322]
(02-01-2017, 10:58 AM)daddyfixit Wrote: [ -> ]trust me, the rear of bearings are open on both wheels, I wanted to see how the dust seals fitted to keep them covered over.

I know wheel bearings are usually sealed so this threw me when I looked at my own....

hub oil seal/hub grease seal are fitted on many cars--tapped in after the wheel bearing has been put into the hub.

They sound pretty f*cked then, would be worth looking at changing them both for good bearings.