306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Clio 182 to GTi6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I've not had the Clio too long, and its a cracking little thing. But I miss my old DTurbo. So was thinking about a GTi6. I've found one on eBay, that I also saw at Goodwood on the weekend, and is a couple of streets away from home.
My main reasoning for getting a Clio over a 306 in the first place was something newer with a few less miles and more creature comforts, but generally speaking the difference between the two isn't that great.

What's peoples thoughts on this? I do like the 306's, hence why I'm here, but would it be sensible for me to do so? It's also got to be my daily, so don't want it to be too much more horrendous on fuel if I can help it.
Ive had 5 172 / 182 clio's...

I pick 306's over them any day of the week! for everyday drivability if nothing else. 6 speed box is also a nice touch the renault doesnt have. i also dont like the fact the renault has no torque at all.

Also the 306 is much better on fuel than a renaultsport clio Smile i got rid of my 172 cup for my 306 rallye and commuted everyday! Just make sure you maintain it and any littel 'niggles' get sorted as soon as you have oppurtunity rather than letting them develop.
as above i had a lovely 172 cup but sold it and bought a hdi for commuting and a gti6 for track as i think there just a lot more fun
theyre pretty cheap cars. If its possible to own both for a few months then you can experience the 6 and make your mind up without losing your clio!
(08-11-2016, 11:29 AM)Eeyore Wrote: [ -> ]theyre pretty cheap cars. If its possible to own both for a few months then you can experience the 6 and make your mind up without losing your clio!

Would like to do that but can't justify having the two of them unfortunately.
fair enough. gti6s are getting rare so if you get one i imagine it would be easy enough to find another clio!
Exactly my thoughts.

I'm guessing fuel consumption will be about the same across both cars (30ish mpg)?
Main difference will surely be refinement? I'm assuming the Clio is on a much later plate?
yeah refinement is one thing.. general quality as a "drive" the 6 wins hands down. every time.
Usual French refinement. Clio is 2004. I wouldn't say 306 is any worse necessarily, just older obviously. Over the 306, Clio has auto Xenon's, auto wipers, cruise control. Phase 3's have climate don't they?
yeah they do but its questionable and rare to get one that has A/C working as the design of the front A/C pipe from the compressor was poor and they rotted through, leaked, and failed.

most will have been removed as it was often cheaper to tear it out rather than repair it.

There are examples of them which do work however, and even then its not really a massive requirement as the fans themselves are pretty good at keeping the stuff at the right temperature and i only really "suffered" when it was 27degrees in teh summer on long journeys.
The '6 will have auto wipers, but as said won't have working air con
Complete personal view here but I'd stick with the Clio, they're super fun and usually a great spec for the dirty price you can get them for at the moment.
Thanks for the thoughts all. Went at looked at the local one, and wasn't up to scratch I'm my eyes. I'm gonna keep my eyes open for a 6 though in case a good one that suits me comes up. I'll prefer the drive, especially driving position of the 306 I know that much. Yeah Clio is spanking value, the reason I went with it in the first place!
The Clio is faster in a straight line having competed against them, but I know they have there following and for the money very good much like where the 205 was a while back.
Engine's are better in the 306 for tuning at the moment, and no silly rotating cam's etc
So over the weekend I ditched the cheap, nasty Apex springs that were on it when I bought it, and put on some Eibach Pro Kit springs. And what a difference! Starting to enjoy the car a lot more now, the Clio actually rides properly.

Think I'll keep hold of it for now, but I am on the lookout for a Phase 1 DTurbo regardless as I sorely miss my old one!
(21-11-2016, 12:11 PM)hotrodjacko Wrote: [ -> ]So over the weekend I ditched the cheap, nasty Apex springs that were on it when I bought it, and put on some Eibach Pro Kit springs. And what a difference! Starting to enjoy the car a lot more now, the Clio actually rides properly.

Think I'll keep hold of it for now, but I am on the lookout for a Phase 1 DTurbo regardless as I sorely miss my old one!

I believe your old one may be up for sale shortly once it's been MOT'd (Failed on a couple of bits)

I want it back but have no need for it!
(21-11-2016, 01:25 PM)1616six Wrote: [ -> ]I believe your old one may be up for sale shortly once it's been MOT'd (Failed on a couple of bits)

I want it back but have no need for it!

NO. WAY.

NEED BACK IN MY LIFE.

I've been spending too many hours looking for a decent one.
get it sorted lads. sounds like there is a deal on the cards.
(21-11-2016, 04:28 PM)Eeyore Wrote: [ -> ]get it sorted lads. sounds like there is a deal on the cards.

Managed to get hold of Laurence yesterday, and with any luck I might have this back as a daily in the new year. Fingers crossed anyway!

So basically, Clio 182 to Phase 1 DTurbo? Yeah sure that works... Itwasntme Rofl