306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Info required on 205 to 309 suspension.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. My 205 has an xud, coilovers and the standard diesel non arb subframe with the flimsy track control arms. When cornering hard, the bushes in the lower arms compress and the c.v joints shove in as far as they can and knock like mad, making you think the wheel is coming off. This bottoming out is exaggerated by the lowered ride height, as the driveshafts are straightened ( making them longer rather than being cranked ). I'm now looking for a way around this and wondering if 205 GTIs have a wider track? These GTIs have a better location for their bottom arms which looks like it would fix my problem, but I've heard 309 stuff also bolts up and is wider again. Does anyone know a bit about these?

Thanks... Luke.
205 diesels use same driveshafts as 1.6 GTi models anyway. 1.9 stuff is same length but fatter hub splines and proper CVs.

309 is wider as you say but useful upgrade for track or so called "fast road"as wishbones slightly increase width and add negative camber
Thanks, so I'm thinking 205 GTI front subframe, brand new 309 GTI bottom arms and new drop links with my existing hubs and driveshafts and a new non-PAS steering rack. I'll seam weld the subframe too. Not sure if solid subframe mounts are available? I'll also Superflex poly bush the new arms before they're fitted. Hopefully that'll bomb proof it.
leave the standard bushes on, even cheap ones are better than polybushes.

there was a solid front mounting post from a 309 available but all new stock has g9ne afaik
So, from what I can see so far, the 309 arms are 7.5mm wider each side. Obviously I'll need the gti subframe with extra arm mounts but if I get 1.9 arms I'll need 1.9 hubs apparently so it's not as straight forward as first thought. I reckon my 205 shafts will work with the car being lowered. I'll get subframe and seam weld it first, then see which 309 arms are available to suit my 1800 diesel hubs and shafts.
no, you dont need to change the hubs.
I've ran 205 shafts on 309 bones for years now
me too, fairly low though and only road tyres, so less chance of the shafts running out of travel.
Cool. They're the replies I was looking for. Just ordered brand new arms and drop links from Firstline. I need the subframe from the GTI now. Have you fitted the 309 steering rack arms or have your cars tracked up ok on 205 rack arms with the 309 lower arms fitted? Also, have you got 309 rear axles or 205 axles fitted? I wondered if it'd handle better with a 309 or 205 rear axle?
205 steering arms are fine, but you'll obviously need to wind the TRE's out to compensate for the extra width from the wishbones.

If it's a base model shell you'll realistically need to stick with a 205 width beam anyway. The extra width by itself is a bad thing if anything.
Ok. I'll stick with a 205 axle.