306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Applying tyre dressing??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Don't think we have a detailing forum?

Anyway, I really like Megs Ultimate Tyre stuff, but applying it is always hassle!

Microfibre - Accurate application - messy fingers, doesn't wash out of the cloth, makes all other cloths sticky/smelly in the wash

Foam pad - Washes more easily - less accurate application, still get sticky fingers, ruins the pad quickly

Megs own applicator - No messy fingers - really inaccurate, can't be cleaned so gets dirty tyre black round the rim, too soft, generally shit considering the price

Paintbrush - No sticky fingers - slightly in accurate 'pinstripes' of tyre black on the rim, not stiff enough to get gaps around sidewall writing, difficult to clean therefore difficult to store

So is there actually a decent way to apply this? Accurately (none on the rim), no messy fingers, easy to clean, stiff enough for full coverage.
I use a circular applicator and a glove.. Followed by a wipe of the edge of the rim with a MF to wipe off any that has worked its way onto the alloy.

There's no easy way with Megs but I also love it. AG Highstlye is a close contender but nowhere near as long lasting
I use a stiff circular brush. Don't have any issues with striping, only it can be tricky to get it neatly under the rim protector edge on the tyre.
moved from couch Wink

too...
Interior, Exterior, ICE
Detailing and cleaning, exterior styling, interior modifications and in-car entertainment
Paintbrush chopped half off, makes it much stiffer.
(19-06-2016, 09:54 PM)cully Wrote: [ -> ]moved from couch Wink

too...
Interior, Exterior, ICE
Detailing and cleaning, exterior styling, interior modifications and in-car entertainment

Oops, could've made it more obvious. Wink

(20-06-2016, 11:06 AM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]Paintbrush chopped half off, makes it much stiffer.

Ah I didn't think of that! Will give it a go next time. Big Grin
Yep, always use the Megs tyre dressing which usually lasts a couple of weeks at a time. Smells good too! I tend to quite simply use the soft side of a kitchen sponge/scourer, cheap to buy and disposable. I also wear rubber gloves for all my detailing/mechanical work. I don't think there is any kind of miracle cure as its going to get messy whichever way you do it.

[attachment=28267]
I've got one of these...

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and...d_340.html

Looks the same as the Meg's one but I've never had any issues with this
I cleaned my Megs one by sitting it on kitchen roll for a week then carried on using it, but it only lasted 2 cars and now it's disgusting again, how do you keep them clean?
I don't bother. I'm only ever using it to apply tyre gel. Tyres are clean before I apply it.
Tyres are on the floor though, so I can only assume it's picking up dirt from the floor or maybe I can't clean the tyres well enough between jetwashes. Confused Either way it's black again already. Sad