306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Why you love your peugeot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My reasoning is simple. I hate anything prestige not because they are bad cars but because every time i work on them its something horrendously bad that causes me a headache for several days and my vocabulary to turn dark.
Anything bigger than a car i dislike unless its for a purpose, eg off road

So essentially im left with a handfull of cars. Pugs are easy to fix, fun to drive cheap and plentyful. Their platforms are all similar for engine conversions as well. On top of this i think most of the old ones look good!
Put simply, it is the only car that continues to put a smile on my face every time I get in,

The cabby is fun, and a bloody good cruiser, top down sun out smile on face Tongue

And for a cabby she handles really well with tons of room left to add extras to improve it more. I like to tinker ha ha
Tinkerbility for me.
Cheap parts come close second as does driving experience.

I often jump into other newer"nicer" cars...and think,
"I need to upgrade, this is nice, then after 10/15min I'm bored and start thinking how expensive it must be to run/repair and how awful the steering/pedal feel is
I love my Peugeot because it's an Impreza WRX, it has 4wd and a turbo and it's easy to fix and most importantly it goes Bwwwwwwaaarrrrrrr tschhhhhh
Looks and familiarity for me... The phase 3 rear end/side on still looks awesome even 20 years later. And after 16 of the damn things I'm still drawn to them as some sort of compulsion! lol

However, being totally honest, as tech and refinement has moved on I'm not so keen on actually driving them any more, each to their own of course though! Smile I like the Focus because it's comfy, big enough to fit plenty of crap in, really easy to drive, cheap to tax, has that angry look with the angled headlights, handles brilliantly despite it's size and comfort spec and it's loaded with optional spec that most Focii aren't - I don't like the lack of power, lack of MPG and the potential unreliability of the engine choice. I like the Fiesta because its stripy and lairy but still looks good, sounds epic when revved but quiet at idle and has loads of torque low down and picks up quicker than anyone expects (including me half the time lol) - I don't like how much effort it is to drive a petrol that keeps wanting to stall, or the stupid low profile tyres, or the expensive running costs.
Nothing beats entering a corner slightly hot, lifting the loud pedal and feeling the car rotate slightly to place it where you want... Nothing has quite the steering feel that a 306 has either...
4 wheel driffting a 306 is EPIC!
Losing the rear of the cabby round a roundabout unexpectedly is scary for the passenger but epic for the driver, esp if you make it look like you meant to lol
Regardless of how much I hate it when it's broken it never fails to put a smile on my face once I turn the key
Wiping the smile off newer & turbocharged / financed and/or mummy & daddy paid for golf gti drivers faces in a rattly S reg peugeot never fails too amuse.
knowing each year more of it becomes less french. lol
feels right, where i'm sitting and how it responds on the road, feels like an extension of my body . . . . . . that and it's the best thing i can afford living in the armpit of the North! . . .lol Big Grin
(15-06-2016, 09:53 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: [ -> ]Wiping the smile off newer & turbocharged / financed and/or mummy & daddy paid for golf gti drivers faces in a rattly S reg peugeot never fails too amuse.
This,,,

and the fact that if I wrap it around a tree/post/blow it up/destroy it in some other way I can get a new one for less than £300 in reasonable or better condition than the original.

I have a personal supply of parts from Mr Taylor, and the amount of expertise in tinkering is now huge.

I don't have to spend megabucks tuning for more smiles per mile!
Slowly going off them kind of

Might be a BMW convert soon lol
Hate mine someone buy it
One of mine gives a drive that not much else can offer, probably the closest you'd get to a road legal go-kart beyond a Cater field or Elise, another is a diesel and is cheap to run but isn't a 205, the last is just a pile of shit.

(15-06-2016, 09:06 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: [ -> ]Slowly going off them kind of

What you looking at? I'm looking at a 530, probably Friday.
Nice welcoming community, easy to work on, cheap to buy and get parts for and just a bloody fun little car all round Smile
Grown up with them and the only cars i have owned. Sad but i can't see myself without 1. As others have said easy to work on and cheap to buy bits whether it fixing or uprating or upgrading parts. And i got a lot of spares now i have collected over the years. Just an all round great car IMO.
It's cheap, handles well and the diesel engines are pretty good. Tbh i probably wouldn't love it all any more had it not been for this club, there's not a lot else to like about them. lol

finally coming out of the closet then?
Yeah I love a BMW

(15-06-2016, 09:31 PM)Alan_M Wrote: [ -> ]One of mine gives a drive that not much else can offer, probably the closest you'd get to a road legal go-kart beyond a Cater field or Elise, another is a diesel and is cheap to run but isn't a 205, the last is just a pile of shit.

What you looking at? I'm looking at a 530, probably Friday.

1 series as a company car
As you'd probably have guessed from my signature, I'm rather fond of 205's.

There's things about them that I don't like of course, but I've simply never found another car that puts a smile on my face in the same way, a FWD car with such wonderful balance that you can steer it almost as well using the throttle as you can the steering wheel. It's eager, agile and offers up plenty of feedback through the controls, yet it is comfortable, economical and practical package.

I'd love to find a modern day replacement that delivers the same thrills, but I've so far failed, hence still driving the 205 despite it's ever advancing years and all that comes with that.
I have to say, until I had my estate, I loved my 306's. That heap ruined it all for me though, just completely lost the love for them.

That's not to say I won't end up with another one somewhere down the road, but for now, my 407 is just about old enough, with just as much space, and 8 more valves. If I could lay my hands on another DT like my old one, I'd be a happy man, just for lol's at the weekend or whatever, then keep the barge for work. Wink

Things I did love about my 306's though, SO easy to work on/modify (even if I am pretty lousy with a spanner! lol ), and cheap enough to have fun without worrying about running out of talent.
Iv had plenty of them and still love the look of them. Mainly though it still gives me a great thrill and massive smile on my face when i drive mine! I also like how it handles and can keep its own especially in the twisties compared to the more expensive and more powerful cars nowadays!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk