306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Buying a house and heating/boiler
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right, made an offer on a house, with a reduced prince because the boiler need replacing.

Currently got a normal boiler/hot water tank/(probably) attic tank (didnt look)

Its a 4 bed property with 1 bathroom.

I was of a mind to replace all with a combi boiler, but apparently new regular non combi boilers are not THAT bad and itll be much cheaper to replace the boiler with another like it rather than convert to a combi boiler system.

Anyone got any experience in these things?
what do you class as a normal boiler/hot tank?
The older type, with the cold water tank in the attic. The third type below

https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/produc.../explained

I didnt realise there were 3 types, I knew about the ones with the hot water tank, (my mum had one) but it was ripped out by the HA and replaced with a combi boiler.
its all swings and roundabouts Smile

they both have their unique advantages and disadvantages.

Combi boilers always have hot water, conventional only if there is hot water in the tank,

combi boilers use alot more gas, conventional alot more electric,

combis are more space efficient,

personally, myself as i have kids, i could not imagine having a conventional boiler, as i would have to wait an hour to have a bath after the kids have had theirs. I could have a shower yes, but my bath helps my knee alot :p

so yes, its a bit like the diesel/petrol debate Smile
So me + wife + 2 kids means potentially no hot water!!
Ferroli Modena 32C HE combi should do the job, i used to work for a guy who had a bathroom and plumbing shop and i went on the tour at the Ferroli factory to be talked through the ins and outs of it with him.

Can be installed fairly quickly also a 1 man lift and small in size. No heat exchange so you will never lose hot water patented design. Also 5 year warranty and if it fails after that theres only 4 working parts, each costing £50, unlikely but if they all fail will only cost £200 to fix.

Ferroli had a really bad name a few years back and took all complaints and problems onboard to create this one, after being there and seeing it all first hand and seeing them fitted, setup and working in houses i would have one myself.
IIRC you can sometimes get teething problems (leaks) going from an older conventional boiler to a new combi, so worth keeping in mind.

How do you know the current one needs replacing anyway?

insomaniac45 Wrote:combi boilers use alot more gas, conventional alot more electric,

How do conventional use more electric?

Also I always find Combi boilers to be noisy as f*ck, which always wakes me up first thing in the morning when it clicks on.
i think he means immersion tank / heater style boiler.

combi is definately the way to go if you want on tap hot water

we have a combi in our house, but also an electric shower so hot water isnt always an issue and it saves money that way (use the combi mostly for the heating in winter and hot water for washing etc).

we have a greenstar 28i junior and it works well.
(01-06-2016, 09:57 AM)toseland Wrote: [ -> ]i think he means immersion tank / heater style boiler.

Sorry, should have made it a little clearer, but yes Toseland, thats what i mean Rofl