306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Tyre wear on track
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So how worn are my tyres gonna get after a two hour track slot. Intend on driving hard. Got a spare set of yellow clones with budget tyres and cracked tyres and to be honest idont trust them. Plus they are diffrent sizes 2 are 55s and two are 50s, still need to get them balanced.

So i may come down with my current tyres on the car. Who knows atm.

Any suggestions as i literally hve limited money and i WILL be on track even if i have to go a tad slower

Ps im running 266 brakes so 14s will fit if anyone wants to donate 4 for the day Wink
Dont think Combe is the most aggressive track for tyres. My local one 3 sisters is a tyre destroyer in comparison! But even still I've done multiple sessions with road tyres and am only now just getting round to replacing them.

In short, if you're tyres are in decent condition for the road then im sure you'll be okay. You'll need to come off every so often anyway to let the oil/tyres cool anyway so when you're having a cool down just give them a once over
As above, Combe isn't too bad in my experience.

I would not consider for one moment running your spare wheels if the tyres are suffering from perishing and cracking, particularly on a comparatively high-speed track like Combe.
About 10 minutes if they're Proxes.... Tongue
Seen jonny destroy a 14" budget on rear left in 10minutes.

Its the left front and rear that get it. So may wana think about swapping round mid session.

I'd bring a set for driving home on if I were you
(26-05-2016, 11:55 AM)powerandtorque Wrote: [ -> ]As above, Combe isn't too bad in my experience.

I would not consider for one moment running your spare wheels if the tyres are suffering from perishing and cracking, particularly on a comparatively high-speed track like Combe.

This was my though i dont want to risk it. Hence the question. Ive got 4 new tyres on the car so i imagine itll be fine then .

I only have the two set i have. One buggerd and one on the car Sad
When you say "new" do you mean new? New / nearly new tyres don't tend to work as well as part worn ones as you tend to find that the tread blocks move around more and overheat quicker, leading to it squirming and sliding around.
Yeah brand new ones. Had them on for about 600 miles
So many diffrent views! So little tyres Sad
I did a set of new 888s last year at fcs
Only experience is in my mx5, did a whole track day at Palmers on 1 year old rainsport 3's, nothing too bad happened to them, still have them on the car now but the rears are nearly finished 12+ months later. Was a wet day though!

Just go for it, the car will tell you when the tyres need a break if you keep pushing they'll die quick if you stop and let them cool they'll keep going all day...
I don't think driving past the limit of tyres will be rewarding anyway, you'll just under-steer everywhere. 
Not sure if you plan on taking breaks, but found for me 15 on 5 off then repeat was comfortable. We drove the car 8am till 5pm, did something like 300 miles that day on track.
I think ill just take them down on the tyres im on, problem in a very lighty tuned hdi isnt realy comparable to a highly tuned xud/xu engined car.
The year before last I took the estate out and stayed out most of the session, I was going as hard as I could most of the time and maybe took 1-2mm off the fronts and a negligible amount off the rears plus scrubbing on the shoulders of the 2 most nearside tyres.
my last full day track day at combe was in the wet on RainSport 3's
both the N/side tyres are well scrubbed on the edges but are still legal
they will do another wet track day but will need rotating to the O/side for combe use again

i will probably drive up on these Rain sports then change to a set of AD08's or 888's if its dry
ive not decided yet
So ive found four tyres for the yellow clones 185/55/15. Should do. Absolutly no time to get them balanced now though so im not aure what i can do on that respect
Make time.

Be bloody awful going into folly with wheel wobble
(29-05-2016, 02:04 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]Make time.

Be bloody awful going into folly with wheel wobble

Not sure how, i ohysically have no where to do it. I called the tester at the place down the road a few shoice words when he told me i couldnt weld two seperate patches on the same sill. The other place i cant get to when they are open until next sturday, which is to late obviously
Ask F1 to do it while you're at work?
You not got a balancer at work?!?!
(29-05-2016, 03:10 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Ask F1 to do it while you're at work?

No theyre the ones i had a heated disscusion with

(29-05-2016, 03:13 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]You not got a balancer at work?!?!

Cant do solid centres at work. We never get them in. Dont really aee them anymore
Centre punch and hole cutter ThumbsUp
(29-05-2016, 04:49 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-05-2016, 03:10 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Ask F1 to do it while you're at work?

Oh, that's a shame. They've always been decent for me!
(29-05-2016, 06:57 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-05-2016, 04:49 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: [ -> ]

Oh, that's a shame. They've always been decent for me!

Its because thy have to look good for customers. I basically told one of the techs his an idiot
He might not even work there anymore lol. Or probably doesn't remember, worth an ask surely?

The other option is unsafeway... Tongue Pug can balance them but charge a ridiculous amount. Or the next junction down there's Williams and Triple C. Unbalanced wheels are bad enough on the road, I really would do whatever you can to get them balanced before track tbh.
(29-05-2016, 08:32 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]He might not even work there anymore lol. Or probably doesn't remember, worth an ask surely?

The other option is unsafeway... Tongue Pug can balance them but charge a ridiculous amount. Or the next junction down there's Williams and Triple C. Unbalanced wheels are bad enough on the road, I really would do whatever you can to get them balanced before track tbh.

How the hell iforgot about pug that are a thirty second walk i dont know!! Legend. Also it was a week or so ago man. He still works there and is a giant cock
2 hr's non stop? and driving hard could mean anything, 10 mins on road tyres makes them go off and that's top quality ones with me, if you don;t have the right tools then as harsh as it may sound don't go out
(30-05-2016, 11:31 PM)miles Wrote: [ -> ]2 hr's non stop? and driving hard could mean anything, 10 mins on road tyres makes them go off and that's top quality ones with me, if you don;t have the right tools then as harsh as it may sound don't go out

Doesnt sound harsh to me at all. Its why i ask for opions, if i knew i wouldnt ask. The tyres that are going on are ok road thres not high quality ones. Inthink its going to be a case of do a few laps, pull in let things cool off a bit and get back out there. Jusge it on the day i guess. Its a shame as he car i was meant to be racing with wouldve been a good setup Sad
It's not non stop though so coming off to let the tyres cool and recover wouldnt be too harsh on them.
I went on with nankang ns2s one year and they survived
(31-05-2016, 11:50 AM)lolsteve Wrote: [ -> ]It's not non stop though so coming off to let the tyres cool and recover wouldnt be too harsh on them.
I went on with nankang ns2s one year and they survived

it may not be non stop in the rover but in the rallye it certainly will be non stop.... non stop smashing your arse over and over again!
(31-05-2016, 12:07 PM)Eeyore Wrote: [ -> ]it certainly will be non stop.... non stop smashing your arse over and over again!

Going in dry again Sam Tongue
Pages: 1 2