306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: TMIC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So is it possible to make up a decent TMIC on one of these for a stage 1/1+?
Yes I know they aren't as good as an FMIC but will be cheaper and much easier to route up and surely less boost leaks with one of these compared to an FMIC?
Cheers
Jonny has one with a tmic.

Takes more work to do a tmic than a fmic imho on a hdi...with almost no benefits
(29-04-2016, 09:51 PM)MY95 Wrote: [ -> ]So is it possible to make up a decent TMIC on one of these for a stage 1/1+?
Yes I know they aren't as good as an FMIC but will be cheaper and much easier to route up and surely less boost leaks with one of these compared to an FMIC?
Cheers

Just do a front mount properly.

Amount I've seen badly bodged is unbelievable. Get the right parts, get the right bends, don't use cheap shit ebay kits, set aside a whole weekend at least to do it neatly and properly if you're doing it on your driveway.
As the other two have said tbh, total waste of time imo - you have to keep that terrible plastic pipe, won't get any decent cooling to it, don't really have anywhere to mount it to, takes nearly as much work as a fmic, and so on... Have you seen the heat soak threads on xud top mounts? That'll give you a better idea of why it doesn't work so well. Boost leaks only result from not doing the job properly, so you know the easy fix for that already. Wink
Thanks guys, the thing that puts me off FMIC'ing the car is having boost pipes blow off every now and then, want it to be as reliable as stage 1 with a limited torque stage 2 Smile
(30-04-2016, 07:04 AM)MY95 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks guys, the thing that puts me off FMIC'ing the car is having boost pipes blow off every now and then, want it to be as reliable as stage 1 with a limited torque stage 2 Smile

FMIC wont blow pipes off all the time if you use quality clip with beaded edges. I never had a problem on my last build it was fine. This one i thrashed it together in 20 mins and ive had no end of issues and im now paying for it by having to re do it. Take your time do it right, do it once
So its as simple as buying good clamps (mikalor) and they wont cone off? Or do you have to bead them/use hairspray?
Apparently mikalor ate not that good. I use the cheap ebay clamps which i cannot reccomend enough OR genuinee jubilee clips (yes jubilee is a brand) the kit i got was about £130 with clamps and beaded pipes and the ones i had to cut i beaded myself. Apart from one that i forgot to do up stupidly i never had another one blow off
Thanks Bash Smile Do you have to bead them or they will blow off if you dont?
Well with my new build i didnt bother beading for speed of getting it on the road and im now re doing it. So in my experience yes i would spend the time beading. Youtube diy pipe beading there are a few videos. Set aside a weekend and do it properly. If you come up with any issues there is a guide on here somewhere or just pop the question you have up Smile or worse comes to worse drop me a pm and ill help if i can
Cheers Bash Smile Should get a project thread/more photos up of the estate if you haven't already, looks nice in your profile image on here!
yeah there is a project thread up already i do try and keep it up to date. actually now heading down there for today to get another turbo on
easy to build your own and quick to do: http://imgur.com/a/mRS6j
I found a mikalor was the only thing to hold the boost pipe on the Golf SMIC, they're a pain to get the right size though and not cheap! I know some people don't rate them but even the genuine jubilees didn't work there and kept popping off, then I broke a genuine one trying to tighten it enough there. The rest of the pipes were fine with cheap jubilees though! All pipes were beaded but I didn't use hairspray or anything like that.

As for TMIC, that'd only be any good if you fancy cutting a vent/scoop in the bonnet. Tongue
Haha fair dos Tom, enough about those G£$*s Tom lol You really need to get about another the amount of times you reference them Tongue We don't want to hear it here Wink
I had one boost pipe pop off on a early test run 2years ago...
Never had one since. Use variety...I found genuine jubilees to eventually bust the thread... Cheap "mikalor" have sone the job for me.

That and hairspray ThumbsUp
(30-04-2016, 08:57 AM)MY95 Wrote: [ -> ]Haha fair dos Tom, enough about those G£$*s Tom lol You really need to get about another the amount of times you reference them Tongue We don't want to hear it here Wink

Well I just thought it was relevant as I had a nice shiny SMIC and custom built pipework on it. Tongue Never bothered on HDis as couldn't be bothered with stage 2 cost and unreliability when a stage 1 on the Golf was 180bhp/450nm...my arsing about with the smic probably wasn't any better than standard in reality though, just the OE ones kept blowing plastic end tanks. lol
Don't know why you drive a focus Tom.. that is all lol
Because it's as close as I can get to a Golf/A3 without VAG tax!! lol
I've never had a boost pipe pop off my estate, I just got the standard intercooling pipe clamps off ebay but i have beaded all my pipes. Made a beading tool out of mole grips and a washer. Take a bit of time to do but well worth the effort.

I would say its defo worth sorting a FMIC and do it properly that trying to fit a TMIC. After seeing Jonny's the other day it does even look that simple to fit. You can tell it shouldn't really be there.
I wonder how regular OE car manufactures manage to make intercooler setups that never ever pop off haha. They just look like regular cheap jubilee clips and often aren't ridged hoses haha.
Half the problem ime is the shit ally pipework from those nasty eBay kits meaning that when you do up the clamps, they just bend and crush. If I were doing it, I'd be getting decent Ally or stainless pipework.
(30-04-2016, 10:29 AM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder how regular OE car manufactures manage to make intercooler setups that never ever pop off haha. They just look like regular cheap jubilee clips and often aren't ridged hoses haha.

Boost pipes do pop off OE stuff as it gets older, and they all leak boost in at least one place as well in my experience! Even worse when they use spring clips rather than jubilees.

However, although they don't appear branded, I would bet the OE 'jubilees' are of much better quality than the usual B&Q stuff we'd buy. Plus they also put solid pipe supports in to stop stuff moving about so much which helps - most of the time anyway, one of the welded supports on the DV6 is common for snapping off and making a hole in the pipe lol.
On oem setups the pipes are generally beaded or clipped in somehow, can't think of any that aren't tbh. I mean, why wouldn't they lol.
I had the new fiesta ST and on that a lot of them weren't braided by the looks of things. A fair amount were also rather loose haha. I went round and checked them all. Some were plastic with a little ridge but the metal one that went under the engine didn't seem to have much on it :/
Are you sure it was the original pipe? Ford bead all their other boost pipes so far as i've seen, so i can't see why they wouldn't do it on a performance model.
Don't see when it would have been changed it had 32 miles on when it was delivered to me.

Maybe it did have it. Just didn't look like it when I was messing with it.
Yeah all the pipes are beaded on my DV6... There's still quite a few leaks going by the oil spray around the bay though, can tighten them but they start to leak again fairly soon anyway.

I should hope you weren't having boost pipes pop off at 32 miles! Tongue
Auto silicon hoses alu pipe is good, most of mine is beaded, all applied correctly and as it stands now the only pipe I popped was because I didn't do the clamp back up as much as it should have been done!