306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Help Improve 306oc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
People like what they like. The gti6 fans will always say drop a 6 in it. The diesel boys will always say they can match gti6 power and get epic mpgs. It works both ways and peoples opinions are really out of our control apart from advising that we do cater for all. If anyone really wants to be told how "crap" their 1.4/1.6 is they should try the 6 forum! D: Point taken onboard though.
(14-04-2016, 01:09 PM)Redordead89 Wrote: [ -> ]Talking about the top 20-40 posters who mainly own and worship only the GTI6 and Rallye, maybe a bit more friendly focus to all other 306's like the ultra rare ph1 xss i just sold 6 weeks ago, i appreciate most may not have owned a 1.6 or 1.4 tu so n3gative comments like sh*t chocolate gearbox and lack of bhp arent really warranted or welcome! this is meant to be the 306oc not the gti6 and rallye/ tuned hdi forum!

I had 2 1.4s before I bought my 6 and one had a head gasket go and the other destroyed a gearbox lol I loved them but all i normally talk about is the 6 because it's current and much more interesting. I have noticed certain people do have that attitude of they're shit don't touch them but it would be interested to see a turbo 1.6 done well.

I think the problem is most people go and buy one and go I wanna get more power - I'm gonna turbo it and 2 months later it's scrapped or they just don't bother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fwiw, i'm just planning to keep my hdi/90 on the road as a daily driver for as long as possible.
keeping it tidy & serviced/repaired as reqd.
(14-04-2016, 02:27 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-04-2016, 01:09 PM)Redordead89 Wrote: [ -> ]Talking about the top 20-40 posters who mainly own and worship only the GTI6 and Rallye, maybe a bit more friendly focus to all other 306's like the ultra rare ph1 xss i just sold 6 weeks ago, i appreciate most may not have owned a 1.6 or 1.4 tu so n3gative comments like sh*t chocolate gearbox and lack of bhp arent really warranted or welcome! this is meant to be the 306oc not the gti6 and rallye/ tuned hdi forum!

I refer you to my comment of:

(13-04-2016, 05:51 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]That's just the joys of the subject of the forum becoming cheaper and less desirable as time goes on and it's very much now a cheap hack about - there's only a handful of cars on here people genuinely give a crap about... The rest are just the cheapy daily and will be run into the floor and scrapped.

It's not that people dislike the other 306 specs, it's just that they're treated like absolute crap! Nobody will ever do performance mods to a 1.6 because "just put a gti6 in"... But then at the same time, I've never seen anybody actually follow through with any mods to a 1.4/1.6...

The ratio of "I've turbo'd my 1.6" to "It's scrapped" is roughly around the ratio of 0:500 at the moment - I'm all for people modifying 1.6s etc, just usually they're modified badly and poorly maintained/treated.

I have owned 16 and as of tomorrow on number 17, and do care for my cars but please remember some peopl3 are happy to keep them standard and shouldn't be steered towards modifying any rare specials or "" just stick a 6 in it""
Just like the D tu4bo-s Toms306 just bought, these are becoming rare just like a sorrento or lazer green 205, much more desirable standard and unabused than a modified one.
I've loved the 306 since i was 16 when they were released and will never likely own a rallye so a little more love for the 306 in general and not just the fast ones!
There's a reason why people will generally say 'stick a 6 lump in it' though, it's because people want the most power per pound (£) and generally that's the cheapest way to do it. Obviously there's the 'free' power you can get from a tune on a XUD which is again why people rave about them.

People like what they like, it's hardly surprising that a GTi6 or a well tuned derv gets more attention than a standard 1.4 LX 5 door? Bare in mind 306's are getting to the point now where it's what £5-600 for a 1.4 with average mileage, only a few hundred more will get you a car that's substantially better out of the box in most ways (A 6, HDi, XUD etc..).

That said, I can't recall personally seeing people 'hate' on the lower spec cars when someone asks a genuine question, you might get opinions you may not like but that's life unfortunately.
Btw I'm a huge fan of the "6" and the rallye and have owned at least 6 or 7 xud's and love'em and no i don't expect other models to get just as much attention but they do exist and yes they do get the odd slating from some members!
This is the 306oc! not just for tuned cars but for all 306's and as has been said they're declining in numbers so maybe it's time to start saving them and not just tuning for more power!
How many bog standard rallyes or 6's are there on here? ( unmodified keepers )
Big up for BENW with his red rallye resto and hopefully we will see more resto threads rather than just how many horses til we kill it threads Sad
I appreciate tuned motors just as much as the next gear head but tend to appreciate a clean classic thats totally standard or restored more than a modded car or bike!
But as you said above everyone has their own fave flavour of ride and I'm good with that so you'll never catch me putting down a 6 or a rallye!
I restore motorbikes so maybe I'm a bit biased toward keeping them standard, if I'd been able to keep the xsS long term the exhaust was headed for the bin along with the white speedlines and restored to whatever extent budget allowed for!
(14-04-2016, 02:49 PM)Eeyore Wrote: [ -> ]People like what they like. The gti6 fans will always say drop a 6 in it. The diesel boys will always say they can match gti6 power and get epic mpgs. It works both ways and peoples opinions are really out of our control apart from advising that we do cater for all. If anyone really wants to be told how "crap" their 1.4/1.6 is they should try the 6 forum! D: Point taken onboard though.

sure we can match 6 power,  i have done it... sort of easily.. but for Smiles per gallon the 6 still wins with the sound alone
Right guys and girls, sorry ive only just got around to replying to all of this. I have been reading throughout the day at work but havent been able to reply.
It seems a lot of people are all up for some change around here and im happy to implement any change that will be better for the future of the forum. One thing i will say is though that we are not going paid on this forum. Im happy to be open and transparent about the clubs funds and the running costs. The only running cost is the server which costs me and Fooby £16 each a month. Thats it. Everything else is just time. Yes we do have a paypal account for the club with money in it from stickers, donations etc. That is looked after by me and Fooby and is used for shows, banners etc. We will not use that money for the server costs.
So you can see from that that we really do not need to be a paid forum. In fact most dont. Some do it to make a profit from it, some do it so they have a healthier club fund. We manage fine as we are Smile

A lot of you have used user tagging. There are plugins out there for this but they are not official. I will not use anything but official plugins for the forum so we do not have any performance issues. I must admit, i havent looked in a while to see if there is an official one now but its on my list and if there is, it will be implemented. Personally i think its a great idea.

With regards to moderators, im just as guilty as some of the mods of not putting as much time in as i should. That will change for me shortly but the thing you need to remember is, the moderators are here to moderate. Yes, they do sometimes arrange meets and Rowell arranges merchandise but this forum is all about what each and every one of you put into it. Dont be afraid to start meets, dont be afraid to start discussions about what we can do at the shows. Get involved people.
Im not saying i am going to change any of the moderator team but if anyone has a genuine interest in getting more involved then message me on here or FB. No promises will be made to becoming a mod but its nice to know who wants to get involved.

Now, being nice to people. Again, this is down to each and every one of you. I see a lot of banter on here and a lot of it is great because a lot of us know each other on a personal level but we need to remember there are people here who dont know all of us and for them it can be quite daunting. I know as well as most of you we are a super friendly bunch but from an outside perspective it can sometimes look like a boys club. Make an effort to welcome new people and dont just slate them ans their car because its not what you like. Each to their own

Im always open to suggestions and comments so if anyone does have anything constructive to bring to the table, please speak up Smile
We are currently in the product's dull drum section of its life cycle. All motors will go through this "cheap as chips" period before becoming collectable / classic / retro. 205s are enjoying their Renaissance, but the best examples of this happening are the Fords, the price of all Fords bottoms out before leaping back up and that's not just the performance ones it's all modes.

That said how do we get through this period?

It's been said before, but we really shouldn't just sit around and wait for the big shows. We should have regular club only meets, special club track days, rolling roads, etc. These may be regional or national... I'm Midlands so happy to travel north or south!

A fresh look for the forum itself would go a long way, we do look a bit 2006. 

Tagging is a definite necessity, as it's the notifications (we used to get them) where it says if you've been quoted or a thread you've created has replies. Ease of navigation is vital.

I personally would be happy to have optional "paid" features, it would raise revenue which in turn can fund things like posh stands, club art, etc.

Trying to get some magazine coverage of our bigger club only meets or track days would be a win as well, especially if we can get a good showing of 306s.
Sounds daft, maybe, but why not ask about donations a little more often?
A quid from each of us, even each month, would go a long way to getting flyers, banners, flags...even cakes...for shows etc. And no one is going to miss a quid.
I am tempted to set up a donation page at the top of the forum so its easier and more advertised. But seeing as we are talking about it now, If anyone fancies donating to an awesome forum, any amount of money no matter how small to payments@306oc.co.uk is always appreciated Smile
(14-04-2016, 08:19 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]I am tempted to set up a donation page at the top of the forum so its easier and more advertised. But seeing as we are talking about it now, If anyone fancies donating to an awesome forum, any amount of money no matter how small to payments@306oc.co.uk is always appreciated Smile

do eet
(14-04-2016, 09:08 PM)Eeyore Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-04-2016, 08:19 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]I am tempted to set up a donation page at the top of the forum so its easier and more advertised. But seeing as we are talking about it now, If anyone fancies donating to an awesome forum, any amount of money no matter how small to payments@306oc.co.uk is always appreciated Smile

do eet
[/quote
Yeah just do it! It can only lead to extra budget in the kitty!
I personally don't reckon it's fair Niall and Fooby's should shoulder the cost for the forum when we all use it day in day out so maybe before any extra budget in kitty whatever has actually been donated should cover the forum cost! That way we can all feel a little responsible for helping with the club be it build/repair info or just a few sheckles once a month!
I'm obv a relatively new member but have been living the 306 for the past 15 years and hope I could make a valid contribution with some Q's and A's along the way if I can, threads like the list your local scrappy should be updated more often due to the decline in numbers in 306's and availability of Oem original good parts available in your area and go the extra mile and pull a part off a scrapper for a fellow member in their hour of need! I know I do when I'm going there anyway so at least if your in the scrappy make a wee list of what's there and spend 10 mins pulling a door handle off a car or heater fan out of a dash for a needy bro or sis!
Let's all just keep talking 306 and helping each other along the way!
The only issue I see with a donations page / thread is even if I stuck in £100 a month I would see no benefit from it or chance of seeing a proper local meet with regular members to feel involved a bit more
, pretty sure it's the same in N.I or other far flung corners of the UK like Glasgow or perhaps KNOCKHILL etc!
Maybe something like a £20 voucher for Halfords or similar up for grabs once a week or month would be a good idea for best physical text or info (non monetary)
ADD A LIKE BUTTON INSTEAD OF THE RATE BUTTON with most likes and or contribution to the forum or help for fellow members / members cars winning a free wash or service! A service kit is £20-25 trade so easily doable if we have a member in the area that CBA!
Maybe even persuade Stef or anyone else rebuilding or tuning important 306 parts / components to donate an axle once quarterly! Actual Club insurance discounts etc would only take a little organising with the magical google and FB network available!
I think with the donations page it's best to have something we have a target amount for like a club gazebo.
(14-04-2016, 07:44 PM)Orta Wrote: [ -> ]We are currently in the product's dull drum section of its life cycle. All motors will go through this "cheap as chips" period before becoming collectable / classic / retro. 205s are enjoying their Renaissance, but the best examples of this happening are the Fords, the price of all Fords bottoms out before leaping back up and that's not just the performance ones it's all modes.

It's been said before, but we really shouldn't just sit around and wait for the big shows. We should have regular club only meets, special club track days, rolling roads, etc. These may be regional or national... I'm Midlands so happy to travel north or south!

This, right here, is the crux of the issue. As others have said, the 306 is dwindling rapidly from our roads, bot not yet worth anything or considered interesting by more than a few.

This isn't going to be a popular opinion, but i think it needs to be said. The biggest problem here is the members' level of participation in club activities, Orta and those like him have become a rare breed. FCS last year was a classic example from what i've heard - everybody was happy to talk about great plans to win the best in show award, but from the pictures it is clear only a few core members actually made any effort at all.

The same goes for meets, people are moaning there aren't enough, but then i don't see many organising them or turning up to them when they are organised. For the last few years i've organised a big (or used to be) meet in the New Forest every April, it used to be 20 odd cars, but for the last 2 or 3 years it's been a few mates who i could have arranged it with much easier through text or whatsapp. This is despite the threads being up and active months in advance and me plugging it at every opportunity...

If you want meets to happen then take on responsibility and arrange it yourself, it's not hard. If you want things to be organised then make the effort to attend when they are. If you want the club to be popular and fun, do your part to make it so.
(15-04-2016, 12:40 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: [ -> ]I think with the donations page it's best to have something we have a target amount for like a club gazebo.

you could have my Hi-Gear Sahara 6 tent package for a reasonable sum Idea
Very true Poodle...
Don't mean to blow me own trumpet...but I spent a fair bit of money n time on french flags/stickers, made a sound box with french music etcetc... I assumed others would too... I felt like a bit of a muppet when I got there tbh. The bloody drifters van didnt help...but I was a bit stuck out like I was trying to win the show by myself.
Won't be doing it again this year I'm afraid.
(15-04-2016, 06:04 AM)Poodle Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-04-2016, 07:44 PM)Orta Wrote: [ -> ]We are currently in the product's dull drum section of its life cycle. All motors will go through this "cheap as chips" period before becoming collectable / classic / retro. 205s are enjoying their Renaissance, but the best examples of this happening are the Fords, the price of all Fords bottoms out before leaping back up and that's not just the performance ones it's all modes.

This, right here, is the crux of the issue. As others have said, the 306 is dwindling rapidly from our roads, bot not yet worth anything or considered interesting by more than a few.

This isn't going to be a popular opinion, but i think it needs to be said. The biggest problem here is the members' level of participation in club activities, Orta and those like him have become a rare breed. FCS last year was a classic example from what i've heard - everybody was happy to talk about great plans to win the best in show award, but from the pictures it is clear only a few core members actually made any effort at all.

The same goes for meets, people are moaning there aren't enough, but then i don't see many organising them or turning up to them when they are organised. For the last few years i've organised a big (or used to be) meet in the New Forest every April, it used to be 20 odd cars, but for the last 2 or 3 years it's been a few mates who i could have arranged it with much easier through text or whatsapp. This is despite the threads being up and active months in advance and me plugging it at every opportunity...

If you want meets to happen then take on responsibility and arrange it yourself, it's not hard. If you want things to be organised then make the effort to attend when they are. If you want the club to be popular and fun, do your part to make it so.

only thing poodle some places are very, very hard to get a meet going. My end is a prime example, as there just isn't the members, it was like that on .net too. Its even worse on here sadly, As I think I might be the only one that's the most active one from my area, I was offered the north east rep post on .net but I stepped down as there just wasn't the members or the interest. I even tried to see if we could have got a go kart session going just for the crack, like what you lads have done in the past. How can you compete with that sort of thing?
Mind when there was the members, we did meet at a three different places, to make things easier for people, due to how vast the north east is, One lad used to come all the way to from ashington, and a few from teeside area.
i don't think we have anyone from darlington area at all now, as most of the members sold up years ago. 
Biggest meet i think we had was a 8 car one, and that's when a couple of lads from the 6 forum joined us, that's clocking on 10 years ago practically now. Then after that we were lucky to get a 3 or 4 cars, That's a car from each different area, sunderland, peterlee, and ashington.  We do have a racing circuit, that we could go to, and even push for the Scotland one, ( knockhill) but its down to people, if they are willing to make the trips.
I would be more than happy to come to event, down south, if i was invited to do so, but it would have to be well in advanced, as it would be a weekend away for me or others that wished to turn up.
When i see your lads photos of meets and the stories you lot tell, i really wish that we could either have that kind of thing, and even join you lot. Like i say i don't mind the traveling, as i have done it with metro owners club last year, for the 35th and 25th birthday. Which was held at a central location to everyone practically, and that was a huge turn out!
Quote:I am tempted to set up a donation page at the top of the forum so its easier and more advertised. But seeing as we are talking about it now, If anyone fancies donating to an awesome forum, any amount of money no matter how small to payments@306oc.co.uk is always appreciated Smile

We have a number of well respected traders on here, small companies and some HUGE companies such as Adrian Flux and the like..   I know this might seem like an ad as such but why not have a proper homepage, a little like the portal but more theywhoshallnotbenamed style, with a featured trader on it for a week..

they can either pay for the slot for up to a set time (A reasonable cost, say £10 ), or they can arrange discounts and services for forum members (Such as ProSteve or JP do with their remapping service). 

A list of traders associated with the forum would also be nice, I don't know if it is already an option but have a proper trader "group" so official traders or people whom offer specific services and have a great record with the forum can be recognised.

An updated news section and portal page would be great, if someone wants to spend 20mins/30mins every week keeping it up to date.

procta Wrote:. Like i say i don't mind the traveling, as i have done it with metro owners club last year, for the 35th and 25th birthday. Which was held at a central location to everyone practically, and that was a huge turn out!

That must have been a painful experience, did you book the AA van in advance for that one?

I do love the idea of track days for the cars..  club sessions would be great as you don't have the 1litre warriors driving like complete tossArs,
Just to reiterate... Nobody requires to be invited to events - absolutely everybody is invited to any event. If there's some people thinking of coming down for an event, make sure you say as it's more likely that people will think 'Ah there's a bunch coming down from up north, that makes it more worth it to go'...

All I can say is, I used to live in Cornwall, which realistically is 3 hours at least from civilisation and I knew most of the main members by face on here long before I moved away... There's nothing stopping people going to far away meets apart from enthusiasm and a slight lack of organisation...
(15-04-2016, 07:31 AM)toseland Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I am tempted to set up a donation page at the top of the forum so its easier and more advertised. But seeing as we are talking about it now, If anyone fancies donating to an awesome forum, any amount of money no matter how small to payments@306oc.co.uk is always appreciated Smile

We have a number of well respected traders on here, small companies and some HUGE companies such as Adrian Flux and the like..   I know this might seem like an ad as such but why not have a proper homepage, a little like the portal but more theywhoshallnotbenamed style, with a featured trader on it for a week..

they can either pay for the slot for up to a set time (A reasonable cost, say £10 ), or they can arrange discounts and services for forum members (Such as ProSteve or JP do with their remapping service). 

A list of traders associated with the forum would also be nice, I don't know if it is already an option but have a proper trader "group" so official traders or people whom offer specific services and have a great record with the forum can be recognised.

An updated news section and portal page would be great, if someone wants to spend 20mins/30mins every week keeping it up to date.

. Like i say i don't mind the traveling, as i have done it with metro owners club last year, for the 35th and 25th birthday. Which was held at a central location to everyone practically, and that was a huge turn out!

That must have been a painful experience, did you book the AA van in advance for that one?

I do love the idea of track days for the cars..  club sessions would be great as you don't have the 1litre warriors driving like complete tossArs,

why would it be a painful experience? or I need to have the AA van booked in advance? you know just because they are clocking well over 25 years, doesn't mean that they are going fail.
I'm not keen on advertising on the forum even if it does earn us a little money. In reality we only need very little turn over for club merchandise. We do need a new gazebo granted and I will set up a donation for one shortly. Hopefully Rowell can sign write it as well
I've got s few ideas in my head for some meets and trips next year. I know a lot of our members don't like the more chavvy shows so maybe we could organise more major club meets like the Christmas meet.
I would also love to see a few trips abroad. I know a few on here go as friends but Doug something as a club could be great fun.
Get a Coleman event shelter if we get a new gazebo. Dey R Gr8.
More club meets would be great, as would trips abroad.... that would be really great Niall! Smile
(15-04-2016, 09:15 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: [ -> ]Get a Coleman event shelter if we get a new gazebo. Dey R Gr8.

That's what we had.
Club funded trips abroad
(15-04-2016, 10:44 AM)toseland Wrote: [ -> ]Club funded trips abroad

Yeah mate! I want the club to organise and pay for modifying my car before we go too!

It's exactly as Ruan says, i've travelled to meets up in cumbria, down in the west country and everywhere in between. I know some will object, but if you don't want to travel then you can't complain when the club doesn't come to you.
The Xmas meets are always a good turn out, why not have a start of "Spring/Summer" themed annual meet too? It's all well and good meeting at time of year when it's cold and miserable, why not take advantage of the weather?

FCS, Forge, all those shows have been done/rinsed by most of us and I'd much rather sit taking the piss out of Connor or DumDum over a pint / meal then wander around looking at Saxos / C2's / OtherSh1tNoOneCaresAboutIn306oc.
Summer camping trips ftw...

All of these are amazing ideas, but they don't _have_ to be organised by the forum... Someone can just say "fancy going to the lake district for a weekend" and organise it... Don't just leave it up to the mods on the forum to do, it's your forum as much as it is any of the moderators/owners.
(15-04-2016, 02:44 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]Summer camping trips ftw...

All of these are amazing ideas, but they don't _have_ to be organised by the forum... Someone can just say "fancy going to the lake district for a weekend" and organise it... Don't just leave it up to the mods on the forum to do, it's your forum as much as it is any of the moderators/owners.

I think you'd make a good politician Ruan.  Rofl
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5