306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Aggressive engine sound
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After a bit of help/any ideas. My estate in the low revs sounds very aggressive/diesel knock. I would says it sounds a bit like a xud when running to much advance. It does it when picking up from the low revs from about 1000rpm up to 2000rpm then seems ok for the rest of the revs. 

From memory it was a bit like it before Steve mapped it then seemed a lot better but over the last few months I've been noticing it again (haven't driven it much over the winter). 

Dont know if anyone has come across it before. I got a video of the car on Darrens dyno and you can hear it pretty bad. I'll try and upload that later on.

Just after any ideas, pretty certain its injection related so could it be injectors or high pressure pump?
I would hazard a guess at leaky injectors, i guess there's no blue smoke?
(31-03-2016, 05:44 AM)Poodle Wrote: [ -> ]I would hazard a guess at leaky injectors, i guess there's no blue smoke?

It does put out a little bit of blue/white smoke when going steady with a little bit of throttle.

Heres a video to give an idea of the sound

https://youtu.be/NVQNGqOoZRA
That sounds like one injector that has a naff solenoid and/or worn internally and the pre/main injection quantity on that cylinder is way high...

If you can, get it plugged into pp2k and see the correction quantity and see if there's one cylinder worse than the others? It sounds particularly bad on one cylinder..
Ok cheers Ruan ill try and look into and let you guys know
I swapped the injectors over last night for some out another engine. Gave it a blast up the road and does seem to be a lot better
I dont know if it is linked but i do still seem to get some white ish coloured smoke out the exhaust when rev'd up on the spot and on the run down at low speeds. Any ideas?
white = timing or fueling issue

blue = f*cked rings or turbo seal

black = NEEDS MORE BOOST FOR POWEERRR!!!
I'm sticking to the leaking injectors theory.
Does it get worse if you leave the engine idling for a while?
(10-04-2016, 09:27 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]Does it get worse if you leave the engine idling for a while?

I would say so yeah
It's either naff injector, or have you checked the engine breather isn't blocked...? That's a classic cause of white smoke when you lift...
Ok cheers Ruan, breather should be ok, i just got a pipe going out to the atmosphere. I haven't really driven it since i swapped the injectors over so could of been the injector causing the issue.
(11-04-2016, 12:22 PM)Frosty Wrote: [ -> ]Ok cheers Ruan, breather should be ok, i just got a pipe going out to the atmosphere. I haven't really driven it  since i swapped the injectors over (mainly because I'm loving the roar of the VNT from the XUD) so could of been the injector causing the issue.
EFA
(11-04-2016, 12:22 PM)Frosty Wrote: [ -> ]Ok cheers Ruan, breather should be ok, i just got a pipe going out to the atmosphere. I haven't really driven it  since i swapped the injectors over so could of been the injector causing the issue.

Sure yeah, just absolutely make sure that pipe isn't blocked and the check/one-way valve in the rocker cover isn't somehow blocked or jammed - as that would definitely cause this issue.
(11-04-2016, 01:13 PM)mr_fish Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-04-2016, 12:22 PM)Frosty Wrote: [ -> ]Ok cheers Ruan, breather should be ok, i just got a pipe going out to the atmosphere. I haven't really driven it  since i swapped the injectors over (mainly because I'm loving the roar of the VNT from the XUD) so could of been the injector causing the issue.
EFA

Haha lmao

(11-04-2016, 02:02 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-04-2016, 12:22 PM)Frosty Wrote: [ -> ]Ok cheers Ruan, breather should be ok, i just got a pipe going out to the atmosphere. I haven't really driven it  since i swapped the injectors over so could of been the injector causing the issue.

Sure yeah, just absolutely make sure that pipe isn't blocked and the check/one-way valve in the rocker cover isn't somehow blocked or jammed - as that would definitely cause this issue.

Ok ill try and have a look at some point this week. Cheers for your help once again Ruan.
one way valve in rocker cover? would this by chance be round and live in the circular part of the rocker cover next to the breather hose that goes to the inlet manifold??
Correct.