306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: New career - Advice/opinions wanted
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As some already know, I lost my job this weekend and am looking for something new. Over the last couple of years i've been getting more and more interested in engineering and would love a career in the industry, problem being i've got sweet fa in the way of relevant experience, skills and qualifications. So now i'm trying to get in via apprenticeships, most employers aren't interested in someone my age because they don't get the grants and stuff they would with a 16-18yo, but i'm trying anyway. Hoping it'll help that i'm willing to fund it myself...

Anyway, I'm here looking for advice from people in the industry:

- Can anyone think of any other ways to get into the industry that aren't going to cost me and arm and a leg? I haven't got £3,000 just hanging around for a CNC machining course, for example.

- When making applications, what kind of things are engineering companies going to be looking for? I would rearrange my whole life for a career in engineering, but it's hard to put this into words without sounding like i'm gushing. What could i bring up in the "what would you bring to this post" kind of questions besides the obvious; love of mechanics, strong work ethic, quick learning, etc?

- What can i do to improve my chances? I'm not short of time at the moment, so able to do volunteering work or something. I've tried finding a local company where i could help out in return for a bit of learning time on the machines. Problem there being the bloody HSE, everyone's so nervous about it they won't even consider the idea...
My advice would be to try and get in with smaller companies who are less about the buisness/money making side of things, a place where theres only 5/6 employees and its all a bit more friendly/better communication, because they will be able to see you more for who you are and the skills you have from doing things to your own car etc. As opposed to a big company who will be sifting through probably hundreds of CV's and yours wont even make it past the Human resources bitch who doesnt even know what a High pressure fuel pump is and will just bin your CV because you havent worked in the industry before.

The job I went for recently had 3 people apply for a total of 2 positions, and the team there is literally only 7 people IIRC! I didnt go for an interview, he just asked me to 'pop in for a chat when you can' lol And I got the job! Even though my CV clearly states I have no industry experience, im just a grease monkey every weekend. The guy said he thought I would be perfect because I have relevant knowledge to build more knowledge upon and enough skills to get me by well for the time being, im sure you are the same mate? Smile

Anyway, good luck! I appreciate how painfull it is sending out 100 emails with your CV on, and not getting a single reply lol
My mate started his apprenticeship at the same time as me, he was 27/8 at the time. Can go the other way, as the company could say "oh look at us, taking on an adult learner, noone else is doing that..."
No really good advice from me, just good luck mate, and sorry to hear about losing your job.
What sort of engineering you after? Electrical? Mechanical?
If its electrical, might be able to help you out.
Dan!, how did you get them to even look at your CV in the first place? Mine's completely irrelevant and every company i've applied to has sent me a rejection letter the same day i've applied. I sincerely hope you're right, but there's a glut of skilled labour down this way. Will keep my eyes open for the smaller companies though, where did you see your job advertised?

Thanks Mark. And Connor, good to know there's a chance at least.

Niall, I was originally after mechanical or manufacturing as this is where i already have some basic knowledge. However, Charli pointed out electrical engineering would probably suit me better, as i find it a bigger challenge... Been thinking about it today and reckon she might be right, I need something that challenges me if i'm to stay interested for more than a couple of years, which is kind of the point of all this. What exactly did you have in mind? If you're able to help somehow it'd be really appreciated.
No-one else?
Sorry mate missed this. Will drop you a pm