306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: 306 hdi fuel gauge not correct
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well basically I have a "x " reg 306 hdi ,, but the fuel gauge seems to be not consistent 

When I bought the car it said it had half tank , drove it for over 100 miles and the fuel gauge didn't seem to go down at all  

Then put some juice in and it went straight upto full (£10)
And then suddenly went back down to half again 

My question is  how do i find out what's wrong and how to test 
Thanks

t
the tank isn't square so the fuel gauge does funny things.

from the redlight I put £20 itll show just under half way. to fill it up to max I need to put an extra £40 to brim the tank.i get 100-150miles on about £10's worth of fuel but it drops depressingly fast if its below half a tank (350miles on the first half, 150-200 on the second depending on how I rag it)

it does however sound like you are about on the money with the cost to fill up, and I would suggest the sender on the fuel gauge is nackered so have a look at that. might be sticking inside the tank or a loose wire or earth.
Yeah I thought the sender was at fault but others have said it could be a dash fault but whatever it is its tremendously annoying
never rely on it, then you'll never know how inaccurate they can be Big Grin
(16-03-2016, 02:27 PM)barnesy213 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah I thought the sender was at fault but others have said it could be a dash fault    but whatever it is   its tremendously annoying

only way to check this would be to get another set of clocks and pop them in..  only 2 plugs on the back of them,  and a few screws and torx bolts to remove it